Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 15

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim50 View Post

We made this for supper last evening and it was awesome. I can't remember how I stumbled across the video.

Easy Going Primal Episode Two - YouTube
    Mmmmmmmm - this recipe looks wonderful. During Lenten times, I bet it would be good with chopped shrimp (I would use raw, and chop with a knife into small pieces and then saute).

During non-Lenten times, I can see how this would be a good basic recipe that you could use with ground turkey or lamb also. Thanks for the link!
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

If you are having people over for a get-together during a lenten time, or if it is a "Feast/Fast" Day (like Annunciation) check out:
    Three Recipes For That Snack Attack!! | Everyday Paleo

In this post, Sarah Fragoso shares recipes for:

PLANTAIN CHIPS & GUACAMOLE

SHRIMP TACOS

SWEET POTATO SPEARS (baked)

Note: I think one could make a shrimp taco salad from the Shrimp Taco recipe above
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-13-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: added note
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Hi folks,

Tonight is Friday so I made Sweet and Sour Shrimp for supper. Here's the sauce recipe:

SWEET & SOUR SAUCE

Mix together:
    3/4 cup pineapple juice (this may include part all-fruit apricot jam) - pineapple juice is from a can of pineapple.
    3 tablespoons rice vinegar
    Up to 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon arrowroot
    1 teaspoon (or more) grated or minced ginger (I use this, but you can use fresh grated.)
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

To use as a plain sauce, just bring to a boil and when the sauce thickens and clears, it's done.

To use in a sweet & sour main dish here is what I did (sorry, I didn't measure very well -- any measurements below are approximate).

First I cut up my veggies, thawed my (raw) shrimp, and cut the shrimp in half (down the middle butterfly style into long thin pieces.)

Then I stir-fried onion chunks and and a sliced carrot in toasted sesame oil. When that was done I added green pepper and canned pineapple tidbits, and stir-fried until the green pepper was mostly cooked. I added the shrimp, and stir-fried until the shrimp was cooked. Then I poured on the uncooked sauce and stirred the mixture until the sauce thickened and cleared. Then I stirred in some halved grape tomatoes, and took it off the heat. I served it over cauliflower rice with roasted cashews to sprinkle on top.

Maybe next time I'll actually measure the veggies and shrimp!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

More and more people at my church are becoming gluten-intolerant, and developing other food issues. By way of addressing this problem, here's a copy of the latest email we received from the director of women's ministries at our parish concerning our church potlucks:

"Dear Ladies,

It has come to our attention that an increasing number of folks at Church cannot tolerate certain foods. If you are able to prepare your contribution so that it is gluten and dairy free or doesn't have nuts, please put a little note next to it so those with these intolerances know that food is safe to eat.

As many food additives also contain gluten, you might want to check out what these are before marking your food contribution "Gluten-Free". The following link explains what is and what is not gluten free:
    Gluten-free diet: What's allowed, what's not - MayoClinic.com

If you have a serious health condition and need to avoid something other than gluten, dairy or nuts, please contact one of us so that we can get that information out to those who would like to contribute healthy foods for everyone.

Thank you for giving this some thought!
    "

I'm really glad that this is being recognized in our community - perhaps this is an issue you might want to bring up at your church too!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here is a Greek recipe for Stuffed Grape leaves. This recipe uses white rice - I don't think I could make it with cauliflower! However, I get the impression that once in a while, white rice isn't so bad.

Anyway, one day I was visiting with an older member of our church named Toula. (May God have mercy on her soul – she has since departed this life.) Anyway, she explained to me how she made her wonderful dolmathes which she would always bring to our Lenten potlucks. Since she didn’t use a recipe, we looked at one of her Greek cookbooks, and then she told me how she would cook this recipe. I have tried to incorporate her comments into the directions; I hope I absorbed enough of her cooking wisdom to pass it on to you.

DOLMATHES (Stuffed Grape Leaves)

3 medium onions, chopped
    1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced fine (optional)
    oil
    2 cups white rice (raw), "Uncle Ben's"
    1 cup chopped parsley
    1 cup water
    salt and pepper
    50 grape leaves, fresh or canned
    3 cups hot water
    1 lemon
    oil
    salt or bouillon powder

To make the rice filling: Thoroughly rinse the rice to remove starch. Set aside. Fry the onions and garlic (if using), in as much oil as seems necessary, until onions are golden. Add the washed rice, parsley, 1 cup water, salt & pepper. Cover and let simmer a few minutes -- but not long enough to cook the rice, because the rice will finish cooking when it is in the grape leaves. Remove the filling mixture from heat and let cool.

Meanwhile, rinse and drain the grape leaves. Then fill each leaf carefully, using one large or two small leaves for each dolma, making sure that the shiny side of the leaves is on the outside. Use only a teaspoon of filling, because it will expand as the rice cooks.

Select a large heavy bottomed pot with a lid. Place a few coarse leaves on bottom of pot (or parsley or dill -- use up the stems), and arrange dolmathes side by side and layer upon layer until all leaves and filling are used. Then, mix the juice of one lemon, 3 cups of hot water, and a little salt (or bouillon powder). Pour this liquid over the dolmathes. Then drizzle a little oil over all. Set a heavy plate face down directly on the dolmathes in the pot, and then cover the pot with the lid. Cook over very low heat for 2 hours, so that the rice cooks gradually and does not break the grape leaves. When the rice is cooked, remove from heat and chill. Serve cold.

Toula's note: Be sure to pick your grape leaves before June 10th or they will be tough. You can use canned grape leaves from the grocery store, but fresh or home canned grape leaves are more tender.

My note: I checked another recipe. It said that if you use canned grape leaves from the grocery store, drain and rinse them. Then put them in a saucepan with water to cover and boil for 15 minutes to soften the leaves. Drain the leaves and separate them carefully. Cut off the stems. Place a spoonful of filling on a grape leaf and proceed as recipe directs, above. The other recipe also suggested substituting a 1/4 cup of minced fresh dill for the parsley.

Edit 4/3/2014: Cold cooked rice has a lot of resistant starch. See Mark's posts:The Definitive Guide to Resistant Starch and Resistant Starch: Your Questions Answered
    Last edited by Antiochia; 04-03-2014 at 07:48 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

For curry recipes, check out this thread:

in need of curry recipe page

Looks like there are some good ones there!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This recipe looks good for a fish/wine/oil day -- from Coconut Milk Chicken Curry Recipe | cocos.us

FISH IN COCONUT MILK

Ingredients:
    (Whole) Fish – 1 Kg (about 2-1/4 lbs - probably about a little less than 2 lbs of cleaned fish)
    Coconut milk – 400 ml (about 1-3/4 cups)
    Dry white wine – 100 ml (between 1/3 and 1/2 cup)
    Lime – 1
    Soy sauce – 3 teaspoons
    Chilli – 2
    Bunch cilantro – 1
    Salt, pepper to taste
    Number of servings: 3-4

Clear fish out from the innards. Chili pepper is cut into thin rings.
    Remove the zest with half a lime, from the same half squeeze the juice.
    Mix coconut milk, dry wine, lime juice, zest, soy sauce and chili.
    In heatproof form put our fish, pour with the prepared mixture. Tighten the form of food film (plastic wrap), put in the refrigerator and let it marinate for 2-3 hours. (Remove plastic wrap)Then bake for about 35 minutes at 200 degrees and serve with fresh cilantro.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-25-2013 at 07:01 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Quote Originally Posted by kingofbaconandeggs View Post
    Blasphemy! Burn her, she is a witch. Lol.
    Lol! Better than being a troll! :P

Here is Mark's take on occasional rice:

"There is nuance to all things. Though categorization is a valuable, essential data management tool, one that helped propel us to the top of the food chain (grouping bits of data together into categories allows us to handle more mental “stuff” at once), we run the risk of forgetting that these groups are made up of individual, non-homogenous bits. There is danger in missing the trees for the forest. Rice is a grain, yes, but it’s not the same as wheat, barley, oats, or corn. Avoiding grains as a general rule is good for your health, and that goes for rice, but be realistic. A bit of white rice with a restaurant meal is not going to kill you.

Don’t take this as blanket approval for immediate regular rice consumption, however. It’s not black and white. Rice exists on one end of the “grain suitability” continuum. You know how I’ve discussed the dairy continuum? Raw, grass-fed one on end and low-fat, homogenized, ultra-pasteurized on the other. It’s the same for grains. High-gluten wheat on one (very bad) end and rice on the other (don’t lose sleep if you eat it) end. Do I recommend ditching the entire group altogether, just to make things easy and avoid any possible irritants? Sure, but if grain consumption presents itself, or you literally are hamstrung by finances and simply need some calories, you shouldn’t beat yourself up over it just because you ate some white rice."

Read more: Is Rice Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This link has very clear instructions on how to make your own almond butter:
    How To Make Homemade Almond Butter « Detoxinista
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, our Advent starts on November 15th, only a few weeks away. With that in mind, here is another fish recipe:

MANHATTAN COD CHOWDER

1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
    1 cup thinly sliced celery
    8 oz. bottle of clam juice
    1-1/4 cup water
    1 teaspoon vegetable broth seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 14.5-oz can cut up tomatoes
    1 cup cauliflower (cut into small florets)
    8 oz. frozen cod, thawed, cut in cubes
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    Piece of Kombu (a kind of seaweed) - optional

Directions:
    Saute the onions and celery until cooked and tender. Add clam juice, water, broth seasoning, spices and Kombu if using. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cauliflower and bring back to a simmer and add the cod. Cook for 10 more minutes. Stir in the vinegar. If you used Kombu, remove it before serving.

This makes about 5 cups of soup. Usually my husband and I just split this recipe so it really only makes about 2 servings.

Nutritional information per cup of soup: Calories: 102.3; Fat: 3.3g; Carbohydrates: 6.6g; Protein: 12.0g

Note: If your body can handle the carbs, you can substitute diced potato for the cauliflower. Add the potato when you add the clam juice and water.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 10-27-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast