Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 14

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Tim - Some people decide the "no olive oil" means no oil at all. When we first became Orthodox I tried to do that, but after a while I decided it wasn't healthy - at least for someone my age. My priest is okay with that decision - he just says, "Do your best." So, here are the oils I use:
    For sauteing I use coconut oil - I use virgin if I want the coconut taste, and refined if I don't. I also use virgin coconut oil blended into my morning coffee (with my immersion blender, using the container that comes with the blender), instead of cream.
    For sauteing Asian style recipes I use "Eden Selected Toasted Sesame Oil (unrefined, expeller pressed)" along with part coconut oil.
    For cold uses and salads I use either a local organic sunflower oil (high oleic, cold expeller pressed), or if I want an oil with no taste I use Hain or Hollywood Safflower oil (high oleic, expeller pressed).
    Of course on Saturdays, Sundays, or feast days I go ahead and use olive oil.

I've been on plenty of low fat diets, so I know one can saute with broth or water, and use applesauce, pumpkin, etc... in baking (although I don't bake much any more). Also I know there are people who depend more on boiled foods and soups on Lenten days -- blessings on them -- as yet I don't find myself able to do that.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here are the oil brands I buy:
    Coconut oil: whichever organic brand happens to be the cheapest
    Eden Selected Toasted Sesame Seed oil: http://www.edenfoods.com/store/produ...q4g46iih2p7ch7
    Sunflower Oil:Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil
    Safflower Oil:Hollywood Foods Products
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    Good deal. I eat the big salad for lunch every day, with olive oil when we can have it, so I'll gave to try one of these as a substitute when needed. Thanks!

If you can find a good source of cold pressed sunflower oil (I really like the brand listed above, but it is produced locally so it's at all the farmers' markets near by), that makes a great olive oil substitute for salads. It has a slight sunflower seed taste. I keep a small bottle of it in my purse, and a small bottle of either balsamic vinegar or raw apple cider vinegar in my purse (I reuse the small bottles that flavoring extracts come in - they have nice screw top lids), and then I'm not even tempted by restaurant salad dressings.

And to anyone who would complain that I'm not really fasting from oil -- well, I figure I'm fasting from olive oil, butter, organic lard, and bacon fat, which I use on non-lenten days.

Ahh -- Wednesday, Thursday (the Beheading of John the Baptist), and Friday are past. We are enjoying our bacon and eggs this morning!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

For those Fish days, here's a good sauce to use over baked, grilled, or broiled white fish (like Tilapia) and Cauliflower Rice:

TOMATO-VEGGIE TOPPING for fish and rice

1 14-oz. can cut up tomatoes
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon dehydrated garlic
    (favorite white fish)
    (cooked rice or cauliflower rice)

Simmer together the tomatoes, green pepper, onion, and dehydrated garlic for about 30 minutes or longer if you wish. (Makes about 2-1/2 cups veggie topping.)

While topping is cooking prepare some rice or cauliflower rice and your favorite white fish (grilled,baked, or broiled).

Serve topping over fish and rice.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's a good recipe to bring to a special Lenten event where refreshments are served. I found this recipe here:
    Chocolate Coconut Clusters - Wellness Mama

CHOCOLATE COCONUT CLUSTERS
    Ingredients:

1 (5 oz) bag Flaked or shredded coconut- unsweetened
    2/3 cup melted coconut oil + 1 TBSP
    1/2 cup almond butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips

How to Make Chocolate Coconut Clusters:

1. In medium bowl, mix coconut flakes, 2/3 cup melted coconut oil, vanilla, and almond butter until well mixed.
    2. Using hands, form into 1 inch balls and put on a plate.
    3. Put the plate in the freezer until the clusters harden completely.
    4. Once the clusters have hardened, melt the chocolate in a double boiler with 1 TBSP coconut oil until smooth.
    5. Dip the clusters into the chocolate and put back on a plate or in a small baking dish
    6. Put them into refrigerator and eat once they get cold.
    7. Enjoy the awesome mixture of crunchy chocolate shell and chewy coconut center!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

I figure it would be good to post some fish recipes before the Advent Fast starts in November. Depending on your particular kind of Orthodoxy - Russian, Greek, Antiochian, Serbian, etc... and your own parish priest, you may be having more fish/wine/oil days - at least during the beginning of the Advent Fast.

Here is a fish recipe, that can be thrown together quickly - for example, when you come home from a Vesperal Liturgy and everyone is hungry:

TUNA STIR FRY
    16 oz. bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables
    1 to 2 tablespoons oil of choice: Sesame, olive, and/or coconut*
    1 or 2 5-oz. cans tuna, drained OR 1 pouch (6 to 7 oz. size) tuna
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Splash of soy sauce or terriyaki sauce (optional)
    Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional)
    Rice or cauliflower rice

Stir fry the bag of vegetables in oil until just done or almost done to your liking. Add the tuna, and lemon juice. Continue to stir and cook until everything is hot. Taste - adjust seasoning, add a splash of soy sauce or terriyaki sauce if you like. Serve over rice or cauliflower rice.

*Note:On fish days, oil (and wine) are always allowed.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    Antiochia, while shopping today, I noticed "grapeseed oil," and wondered if you'd tried it. I never have, but it looks nice and green. :-)

We made this for supper last evening and it was awesome. I can't remember how I stumbled across the video.

Easy Going Primal Episode Two - YouTube

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim50 View Post
    Antiochia, while shopping today, I noticed "grapeseed oil," and wondered if you'd tried it. I never have, but it looks nice and green. :-)
    Hey Tim, grapeseed oil is actually not a great choice. Healthy Oils | Mark's Daily Apple
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi again -- I've been out of town visiting our DD, so haven't posted in a while. The only oils that I heat during Lent are Coconut Oil, and if I want an Asian taste, the Toasted Sesame Oil (which may not be a great idea, since it is a seed oil, but I figure once in a while won't hurt. I see from the post that NW referenced, that Mark suggests adding the Toasted Sesame oil for flavor AFTER the dish is cooked. I never thought of that!) I use the high oleic cold pressed sunflower and safflower oils in non-cooked recipes like salads. (And of course, Saturdays, Sundays, and Feast Days during a Lenten time I use olive oil.) I don't cook with grapeseed oil, BUT it makes a great moisturizer to rub on your skin after a shower!

(Note: I also read that Macadamia Nut oil is a great choice for salads, and lower heat sauteing, but it is so darn expensive, I haven't tried it yet. Sometimes I rationalize buying expensive healthy food by saying, well, its either pay for healthy food, or pay the doctor -- haven't done that yet with Macadamia Nut oil, though.)
    Last edited by Antiochia; 09-10-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast