Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    RUTABAGA SOUP

1 large rutabaga, cut in 1" cubes
    1 pound parsnips, peeled and chunked
    2 pounds carrots, chunked
    1 large peeled Idaho Potato, cut in 1" cubes
    1 onion, cut in wedges
    6 cups vegetable broth or 6 cups water and 6 teaspoons gluten-free vegetable broth seasoning (I like Seitenbacher Vegetarian Vegetable Broth and Seasoning, 5-Ounce Cans (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food)
    Salt and Pepper

In a large pot, simmer all ingredients for about 2 hours. Puree with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender). Check for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

CHOCOLATE DATE CANDY

4 oz. unsweetened baking chocolate
    16 dates
    (Optional: Brazil Nuts, shredded coconut, or chopped nuts)

Combine the baking chocolate and dates in a food processor until completely chopped, well-mixed, and warm. Mold into 12 small balls, put on a plate, and cover. Let cool and harden at room temperature.

Variations:
    1. Mold each ball around a Brazil Nut.
    2. Put the candy balls on a plate and zap in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until slightly melty. Roll in chopped nuts or coconut.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-22-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

A delicious non-dairy ice cream for special occasions, without the food additives found in commercial ice creams -- unfortunately it contains sugar. Maybe sometime I'll figure out a different sweetener or try some fruit -- I don't know how that would affect the way it freezes, though.

THAI ICE CREAM

Ingredients:
    3 cans Coconut Milk, 14- oz. cans, about 5 cups (Do not use "lite")
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    (Optional – add vanilla to taste, or drop in chocolate chips at the right time according to your machine’s instructions.)

Directions:
    Combine the coconut milk, sugar, and salt in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then simmer for about 4 minutes so that the sugar is thoroughly dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl or plastic container to cool. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on the surface to prevent the mixture from forming a skin. Chill thoroughly -- preferably over-night.

The next day pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and follow the directions that came with your machine.

This recipe makes 1-1/2 quarts.

This ice cream would probably make a good filling for Ice Cream sandwiches, using this cookie recipe:
    Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe | FEED THE CLAN
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

CURRIED SWEET POTATO SALAD
    (Inspired by Curried Sweet Potato Salad | Peanut Butter Fingers)

1 pound peeled diced sweet potato (about 4 cups)
    1/3 cup vegan mayo (I use Flaxseed Mayonnaise in a Jar, post #52, pg. 6)
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder (or to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons honey
    1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
    1/4 cup chopped red onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
    2 tablespoons dried fruit (raisins, cranberries, chopped apricots, etc...)

Put the sweet potato in a pot, cover and bring to a boil and the turn down the heat and cook until tender but not mushy, about 12 - 15 minutes. Drain the sweet potatoes, and place on a plate or in a shallow bowl in the fridge to cool for about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the mayo, curry powder, sea salt, pepper, honey, cilantro or parsley, onion, and green pepper. When the sweet potatoes are cooled somewhat, mix with the mayonnaise mixture. Then gently stir in the nuts and dried fruit.

Refrigerate the salad until cold before serving.

Makes about 4 servings.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-23-2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    Ah! What a blessing to discover this thread! My wife and I are Orthodox Christians about to begin the primal journey. I knew fasting days could present a challenge.

Thank you for this voluminous amount of info!!

Welcome Tim50 -- yes, attempting to eat both primal and Lenten IS a big challenge! Thank you for posting, I wish you joy in your life journey! If you or your wife find a good recipe that fits this thread, by all means please post it! I look forward to hearing from you again sometime. Blessed Feast (Fast day) of the Beheading of John the Baptist tomorrow!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's what we had for lunch today (Wednesday):

MUSHROOM SOUP
    makes about 2 or 3 servings

1/4 cup dried Porcini mushrooms (broken pieces)
    3/4 cup boiling water
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 half onion (chopped - about 1/2 cup)
    1 stalk celery (chopped - about 1/3 cup)
    8 oz. fresh white mushrooms, or baby bellas, chopped or sliced
    1 to 2 garlic cloves
    2 cups vegetable broth (or 2 cups water with vegetable broth seasoning to flavor)
    1/2 cup raw cashews
    Salt and pepper if necessary

Cover the dried porcini mushroom pieces with 3/4 cup boiling water and let stand until rehydrated - at least 20 minutes or so. Meanwhile chop the onion and celery. Melt the coconut oil in a medium sized soup pot and add the celery and onion pieces and saute over medium heat until soft. Add the mushrooms and continue sauteing. You may want to mince the garlic and add it now, however my husband doesn't like the smell of sauteed garlic, so I add the whole peeled cloves later. Add the rehydrated mushrooms and their soaking water, and the 2 cups of vegetable broth. Add the raw cashews (and this is when I add the garlic cloves). Let simmer for a half hour or so, and then blend well in a blender. Taste the soup, blend in some salt and pepper if it needs it; or if it is too thick, thin the soup with a little broth

This soup is amazingly creamy and thick, without any added starch! It also has a wonderful mushroom flavor.

Note: I only use pureed mushrooms in my cooking, because mushrooms are surprisingly fibrous, and my husband has an intestinal condition that can't handle non-pureed mushrooms.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Here's an interesting recipe for Paleo Pad Thai from a blogger who happens to be in Egypt!

This Pad Thai recipe can be made with shrimp, and you would not need to add the eggs. It looks like thinly sliced carrots are the stand-in for noodles. Looks good!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 01-15-2014 at 07:44 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Tim50 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Antiochia: Do you have any particular substitute for the olive oil we can't have on fast days?

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast