Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 12

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi folks -

Today is Wednesday - a lenten day - and tomorrow the Dormition Fast begins, which lasts from August 1 through the 14th. The 15th is the Feast of Dormition. This is a Lent for the virgin Mary. The 15th is the day we honor her death and her resurrection by her Son, our Lord. Roman Catholics believe she was assumed into heaven without dying, and the Orthodox Christians believe since she was truly human that she truly died, and Jesus resurrected her. Either way, she is now in heaven in her glorified body with her Son, and He has given her the ability and authority to hear our prayers and offer assistance and intercession for us. So during this Lent for her, we honor her, and we ask for her prayers for people we know who are struggling in this life. A blessed Dormition Fast to you!

Since I don't want to constantly have my mind on food, I am going to try to come up with a menu so here goes:

Breakfasts:
    Either I.F.
    or: just warm water with lemon, Post # 31, pg. 4, and coffee with coconut oil Post #96, pg 10.
    or: to the lemon-water and coffee, add the paleo cereal mix #2 Post #103 , pg. 11, or a smoothie (see index pg. 11 Beverages).

Breakfast on Saturday: Either Buckwheat pancakes, Post #3, pg 1, or Overnight Oat-Nut Waffles, Post #26, Pg. 3
    No breakfast on Sunday (fasting before the church service aka Liturgy).

Lunches:
    Continued I.F.
    or: Lenten BAS, Post #5, pg. 1, or other salad (see Index, pg.11) or a smoothie.
    Lunch on Sunday will be the coffee hour potluck at church after the morning service. If there is nothing primal to eat we will supplement at home.

Dinners:
    (starting today with Wednesday)
    W - Bean Soup (with properly soaked legumes: Post #35, pg 4). Fortunately I have some in the freezer I can thaw. (Perhaps I can come up with a flaxseed and almond meal biscuit recipe that doesn't use eggs) Edit: also added a salad: avocado, tomato, cucumber, olives, red onion, cold-pressed sunflower oil, vinegar, oregano, salt, & pepper.
    Th - Crab Cakes, Post #110, with Sauteed spinach, Post #104, (both recipes on pg. 11) and Rice-a-Phony, Post #14, pg.2
    F - Cold cooked Shrimp & organic cocktail sauce, raw veggies & store-bought hummus (we'll be seeing an outdoor play)
    S - Leftovers (probably crab cakes) or Restaurant for Shrimp or Scallops
    Sn - Thai Shrimp Curry, Post #20 , pg 2. with Cauliflower Rice , Post #13 pg. 2, glass of wine (Saturdays & Sundays are "feasts within the fast" and we can have wine and olive oil with/in our meals)
    M - Seafood Stew, Post #9, pg. 1 , and avocado half with lemon
    T - (Aug 6 - Feast of Holy Transfiguration!) Broiled Salmon, Post #28 with Pineapple Terriyaki Sauce, post #29, Sauteed Pea Pods & Onions, wine to celebrate the feast day, and sliced strawberries and bananas with Cashew Cream, also Post# 28. All these recipes are on Page 3.

Let's see how I do with a menu plan this week (I'm usually a spur of the moment cook - and food is always on my mind). Here's hoping I can concentrate on other things rather than meals!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-31-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here - from yesterday's MDA blog - is a recipe the will fit nicely into the Dormition Fast:
    Pickled Shrimp | Mark's Daily Apple
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Well, I almost stuck to the plan. We didn’t have any leftovers on Saturday evening so I pulled out an old recipe that I haven’t shared yet. It’s one of my non-primal ones, prepared to minimize the anti-nutrients. I’m trying not to come up with new recipes during the Fast (Dormition Fast, Aug. 1-14), so my focus isn’t on food, but this is one of my old favorites, so I’m sharing it now. I found it online years ago and I’ve been tweaking it ever since:

GARBANZO NUT BURGERS
    (Start early in the day to allow for 6 – 8 hours or so of fermenting time)

1-1/2 cups properly soaked and cooked garbanzos (Post #35, pg. 4 )
    About 1/4 cup water
    1 cup quick oatmeal (not instant)
    (you may include 1 tablespoon rolled rye flakes* as part of the oatmeal – optional)
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon ground or rubbed sage
    1 teaspoon salt

Put cooked garbanzos on a plate and mash with a fork. Home cooked garbanzos tend to be a bit dry, so as you are mashing you may add a few tablespoons of water to get a thick paste consistency. If you have cheated and used canned garbanzos (one 15-oz. can, drained equals 1-1/2 cups cooked garbanzos), you probably won’t need to add the water.

Put the mashed garbanzos in a bowl and add in all the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly with your hands. Cover the bowl and let stand at room temperature for 6 – 8 hours or so. (Or you can make these the night before and let stand overnight, then refrigerate until time to cook.) This standing time helps to eliminate the phytic acid in the oats. Hopefully you are using garbanzos that you have already soaked and cooked (I do this in bulk and keep bags of prepared garbanzos and other legumes stored in my freezer), so you won’t need to worry about anti-nutrients in the legumes.

Anyway, at the end of the standing time and when you are ready to cook, wet your hands and form the mixture into 8 patties. (If you are not going to use them all, you may freeze what you don’t need.) Fry the patties in coconut oil. I cover the pan part of the time so that the patties will cook through more completely. Fry until brown on one side, put a little coconut oil on top of each patty; flip and friy the other side until brown.

Serve with any burger accompaniments that you like (pickles, mustard, onion, tomato, etc…) We like them with sauerkraut and sweet potato hash (which is just grated raw sweet potato, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, sautéed in coconut oil until done, with salt and pepper to taste.)

*Note: The addition of rye flakes helps with the production of phytase, which helps to eliminate phytic acid

(Edit 8/23/2012)
    VARIATION:
    GARBANZO NUT *NEAT BALLS*

Make the recipe above for burgers, except do not shape them into patties. Make balls the size of walnuts in their shells. Then brown in hot coconut oil, turning with tongs. When they are browned all over, add a little water to the pan, cover, and turn down the heat and let steam for about 10 minutes to cook through. Then remove the cover and continue cooking to firm up – you may need to turn the balls with the tongs again.

I think these would be good served on top of Spaghetti Squash with Marinara sauce (Post #86, pg. 9). Don’t cook the balls in the Marinara sauce, because they would fall apart. Ladle the sauce over the balls and spaghetti squash on your plate.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-23-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Okay, a week has passed since I planned my menus. I did add some fruit, avocados, and salads to the menu plan, and as I wrote in the post above, I changed Saturday to Garbanzo Nut Burgers. I also added Sweet Potato Hash which is a simple recipe to Saturday, and to yesterday which was the Feast of Holy Transfiguration. Another simple recipe I added was a Tomato Avocado Salad. Next week I will add a Black Bean Taco Salad. We are in the midst of the Dormition Fast (honoring the death and resurrection of the Virgin Mary) so I will be attempting not to do recipe research, or try out new Lenten recipes. The weekly Wednesday, and Friday fasts are when I will try out and post new recipes now. During the four yearly formal lenten times (Advent Fast, Great Lent, Apostle's Fast, and Dormition Fast) my plan, at this time, is to post weekly menus.

Simple recipes are listed below:

SWEET POTATO HASH
    Saute grated sweet potato, chopped onion, and chopped green pepper (in whatever proportions you want), in coconut oil until done to your liking. Season with salt and pepper.

TOMATO AVOCADO SALAD
    Cut in chunks and mix together:
    1 avocado
    1 or 2 tomatoes (or some grape tomatoes cut in half)
    1/2 cucumber
    Add some chopped onion and a handful of olives.

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Drizzle on either cold-pressed sunflower oil, or olive oil. Add a splash of vinegar (I like raw apple cider vinegar).

(During non-Lenten times you can add Feta Cheese)

BLACK BEAN TACO SALAD
    (a non-primal suggestion)

1-1/2 cups properly soaked and cooked black beans, drained. (See Post #35, pg.4)
    1 4 oz. can diced green chilies
    1 or 2 avocados cut in chunks
    Juice of 1/2 to 1 lime or lemon
    1 or 2 tomatoes cut in chunks
    chopped onion
    olives
    1 jar salsa
    a green salad consisting of Romaine Lettuce, or other salad greens, chopped celery leaves, green pepper strips, sliced carrots, other salad veggies as you prefer.
    (optional: sauteed or salted nuts to sprinkle on top instead of corn chips? I'll have to try this and get back to you!)

Make your green salad. Then in a separate bowl mix together the black beans and green chilis. Cut up the avocado, and put in another bowl and mix with the lime juice. Set out bowls of tomatoes, chopped onion, and olives. Put out the jar of salsa. (If you want a dressing -- we usually don't use one with this salad -- you can offer Dijon Vinaigrette, post #6, pg. 1)

Give everyone a plate of the basic green salad. They can add their own beans & chilis, avocado chunks, tomato chunks, olives, salsa, and chopped onion. (If you have people over who aren't fasting from meat and dairy you can add bowls of taco spiced meat, and shredded cheese -- they can bring their own corn chips!)

My next post will be the menu for the coming week.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-07-2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Today I will plan for the final 8 days of the Dormition Fast:

Breakfasts and Lunches will be the same as the first week (in post #111, above)

Wednesday (today): Frozen Shrimp Stir Fry (I have some bags of these in the freezer I need to use up. They are a commercial product without rice. Perhaps I'll add a little more shrimp to the mix.) on Cauliflower rice post #13, pg.2, topped with roasted cashews, and some mixed fruit salad (just various fruits cut up and mixed together).

Thursday: Curried Lentils (I have some frozen, but I haven't posted the recipe yet. You can also buy curried lentils and various other legumes in shelf stable packaging in the Indian section of the grocery store). Steamed cauliflower, cooked sweet potato, and pickles.

Friday: Shrimp Teriyaki (using leftover pineapple teriyaki sauce -post #29, pg.3 - from last week over sauted shrimp), over cauliflower rice, with a veggie stir fry (for example: onions, green pepper, and peapods - although I haven't decided exactly which vegetables - sauteed in a mixture of toasted sesame oil and coconut oil.)

Saturday: Curried Sweet Potato Soup post #56, pg. 6, raw veggies "crudites", and pickles -- and beer at least for DH since wine (alcohol) and oil are permitted on Saturdays and Sundays. (I'll freeze the rest of the soup in serving size portions for Lenten Wednesdays and Fridays later on.)

Sunday: Seafood Marinara over cooked spaghetti squash, with a tossed salad dressed with Dijon Vinaigrette post #6 pg.1 and wine. (The Seafood Marinara is made with my Marinara Sauce, post #86, pg.9, and a pound of mixed frozen seafood from Trader Joe's.)

Monday: Black Bean Taco Salad (see the post directly above this one)

Tuesday: Leftover Seafood Marinara with spaghetti squash and a tossed salad (leftovers from Sunday)

Wednesday: Broccoli Slaw Stir Fry with Black Bean Spaghetti (both on post #74, pg 8) and pineapple

Thursday, August 15th, is the feast day (Holy Dormition) -- I'm planning on serving lamb chops!

Friday is a regular fast day again - I may try to get rid of another container of curried lentils in my freezer, or use up the other bag of shrimp stirfry. I really need to clean out my freezer and use the food that has been accumulating there!

Saturday I will add stir-fried chicken to the leftovers of the Broccoli Slaw Stir Fry.

Well, that's about it; let's see how well I do sticking to the plan again!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 08-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Hmmm -- Didn't quite stick to the plan tonight. It was supposed to be Shrimp Teriyaki, but then I realized I didn't have enough leftover Teriyaki sauce from last week's Salmon Teriyaki, so I melted some apricot all-fruit jam on the stove and stirred in some apple cider vinegar to taste, and then stirred in what remained of the Teriyaki Sauce to make a Sweet and Sour Sauce. I sauteed shrimp, onions, broccoli, green pepper, and pineapple tidbits in sesame oil. Then I stirred in the Sweet and Sour Sauce and some chopped fresh tomato, and ended up with a Sweet and Sour Shrimp Stir-Fry, which I served over Cauliflower Rice.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Okay -- tomorrow is the feast of Dormition, so after Liturgy tomorrow morning the Fast will be completed and the Feast begins.

I stayed pretty close to the my plan (in post #115 above) for our suppers, although today I realized that we would be eating at the potluck tonight after the Vespers, so we ate my planned supper at lunch time (I didn't think the package of broccoli slaw would last until Friday - the next Lenten day - and I did want the leftovers from the Broccoli Stir Fry to add some chicken to as an easy supper later on).

This week I was hungry at lunch time, so we had soup, and canned shrimp salad (mash the canned shrimp with flaxseed mayo and mustard), and some frozen garbanzo nut burgers that I thawed out. Last week I did pretty well with IF and coffee and coconut oil. Not this week.

Anyway -- publishing my menu was a good idea and kept me on track. I think I may start up another journal and start publishing my menus for the week. We are into the season in the year where we are only fasting on Wednesdays and Fridays, so I will again be trying new recipes and posting them on this thread.

A blessed Feast of Dormition to you!
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Now, since this is no longer a formal Lenten period (the Dormition Fast has been completed) I will again be experimenting and adding new recipes until the Advent Fast (beginning November 15 and going through Christmas Eve -- with time off for Thanksgiving if you are in the US and your father confessor is agreeable to the idea).

Here is a recipe I got from a friend -- this is wonderful! She often brings this to Lenten soup/salad suppers. Unfortunately DH does not tolerate lentils very well so I won't be making this at home. To help mitigate the anti-nutrients, I would start ahead of time and soak the rice and lentils in the 12 cups of water for 6 to 8 hours. Then I would pour off and measure the extra soak water. Then I would add the equivalent amount of fresh water (as poured off water) to the recipe. Anyway here is my friend's recipe:

GOLDEN LENTIL SOUP
    Makes 10 to 12 servings

Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons olive oil (can use other oil)
    6 celery stalks, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (include the leaves)
    3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    2 onions, chopped
    1 pound dried red lentils
    1/4 cup long-grain white rice
    12 cups water
    1 tablespoon lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon seasoned salt
    2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus more to taste
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Preparation:
    Heat the oil in a very large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the celery, carrots, and onions. Sauté until the onions are light caramel color, about 10 minutes. Stir in the lentils and rice and the water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, about 20 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the lentils are very soft, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. Stir in the lemon pepper, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and cumin. Simmer uncovered until the flavors blend, the lentils have fallen apart, and the mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Season the soup to taste with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Ladle the soup into bowls.

Cook's Notes:
    As the red lentils cook, they turn golden and literally look puréed..

As an non-Lenten alternative or variation to the soup, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a heavy small saucepan until it begins to foam, then stir in a teaspoon or so of dried mint. Pour the mint mixture into the lentil soup just before serving. It is delicious!

(My own note: I wonder, would this mint mixture would work with coconut oil?)
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

I found this recipe at One Crazy Week = Nutty Cookies - Everyday Paleo and also on page 235 of Sarah Fragasso's book Everyday Paleo.

NUTTY COOKIES

2 smashed bananas (mash with a fork)
    1/3 cup coconut flour
    3/4 cup almond butter
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup raw walnuts
    1 apple, finely diced
    1/3 cup coconut milk
    1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium sized bowl combine the mashed bananas, almond butter, and baking soda and mix well. Using a handheld chopper or food processor, chop the walnuts and apple to a very fine dice. Add the walnuts, apple, coconut milk and cinnamon to the bowl and mix well. Spoon heaping tablespoons of the cookie mix onto the parchment covered cookie sheets, placing an inch or two apart. Bake for 25 minutes. Makes approximately 20-22 cookies.

Variations:
    1. Add 1/2 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut and top with a few sprinkles of coconut.
    2. Take out 1 banana and add 1/2 cup of canned organic unsweetened pumpkin
    3. Add 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you like roasted nuts, how about making your own Oven Roasted Almonds so you don't have to worry about processed oils. See oven roasted almonds | A Semi-Paleo Kind of Life, although I think I would substitute coconut oil for the olive oil.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast