Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Almost-Primal Orthodox Christian Lenten Eating and Cooking page 10

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I just came across another interesting "cereal" recipe on the forum:
    Primal Cream of Wheat
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread89322.html
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

I found this recipe in the forum in LCHF Group:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ssion1008.html posted by durmuralist

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks good! I'll post the recipe here:

For those of you who do peanuts (I suspect cashews or almonds could be substituted and it would not lose flavor)

Easy Thai Peanut Sauce

1/4 Cup peanut butter, no sugar added
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp sweetener
    [equivalent stevia or try coconut sugar]
    1 tbsp Lime Juice
    1/4 Cup Coconut Milk
    1/4 Cup water
    1 Clove crushed garlic
    Red Chili Flake to taste
    Dash Seasame Oil

Directions
    Combine all ingredients with a whisk in a small bowl, adding the water last. Pour into a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble and thicken.

Serving Size is about 1 tbsp

I served it over konjac noodles* with broccoli, yum!

I think I would use almond butter and sprinkle with toasted or sauteed slivered almonds.

*For how to cook konjac noodles aka Shirataki noodles aka Miracle Noodles, see post #85
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-06-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Here's another take on *cereal* from: updates and a new spin on cerealthe veggie nook | the veggie nook

Looks interesting:

RAW VEGGIE CEREAL

1 carrot, chopped roughly
    2 tbsp raw almonds (or any other nut you choose)
    1 cup raw broccoli
    2 apples, cored (pears are good too!)
    1 medjool date, pitted
    almond milk or other milk substitute*
    splash of vanilla (optional - especially if vanilla is already in your choice of milk)
    unsweetened dried coconut
    cinnamon
    *(or use my *Cereal Milk*: Mix approximately half coconut milk and half unsweetened, unflavored almond milk. Add a small amount of maple syrup to taste and a few drops of vanilla.)

Pulse the carrot and almonds in a food processor until they are in small pieces, then add the broccoli, apples and the date and process until the pieces are the size of couscous. Put into a bowl, pour in your choice of milk and optional vanilla and stir. Top with coconut flakes and cinnamon and serve!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 02:51 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

On the same website referenced above I found:

COCONUT *BACON*
    (Vegan, Gluten-free, Paleo)

Ingredients (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 1/2 cups large coconut flakes
    1/2 tbsp liquid smoke
    2 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 tbsp sesame oil
    1 tbsp maple syrup
    1 tbsp coconut aminos (can substitute tamari or Bragg's if you want, but won't be soy-free)

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix all ingredients together except the coconut flakes in a small bowl. Add this mixture to the coconut flakes and mix well to coat. Spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake for 10 min, stir the flakes and bake again for 6 minutes. Take them out, even if they don't feel crunchy yet. They will harden as they cool.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm betting it would be a good addition to a BAS!

(I found the recipe here: wiaw and a vegan delish review and giveaway!the veggie nook | the veggie nook )
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

If anyone needs a delicious dessert on a fasting feast day, check out this vegan recipe for
    Paleo Key Lime Pie
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Wow! I just discovered bulletproof coffee: Recipe: How to Make Your Coffee Bulletproof…With Butter and MCT Oil -- even my anemic version of it is amazing!

Here's the way I've been making it:
    BULLETPROOF-STYLE COFFEE
    1 cup hot coffee
    1 tablespoon coconut oil (virgin - not refined)
    Combine in a blender and blend until creamy colored and frothy! Pour into your coffee mug and immediately rinse out your blender with hot water (then you don't have to bother actually washing it).

This coffee drink tastes so much better than coffee creamed with coconut milk! And the oil is totally absorbed into the coffee -- I was afraid there would be an oil slick on top of my coffee but there isn't.

Later on in the morning I was feeling "nibbly" so I had another cup and my hunger/cravings went away. My weight dropped a pound on the scale the next day (I've been plateaued for WEEKS). I know I can't expect that to happen every day, but it's a move in the right direction.

Now I'm thinking perhaps bullet-proof style tea (tea and coconut oil)? Or how about veggie broth, sea salt, & coconut oil together to start a meal; perhaps a meal that is mostly veggies like my Broccoli Slaw Stir Fry (post #74).

On non-fast days, I may experiment with chicken broth blended with coconut oil -- and I wonder -- has anyone tried coffee blended with bacon fat?
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Unsalted butter can add a really nice flavor to some teas, probably would for coffee as well. I imagine bacon fat would be too salty, but you can always try it
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I don't think I'll be trying bacon fat in my coffee any time soon - lol! But I sure do like the coconut oil! Maybe one of these days I'll try the unsalted butter. My son likes to just stir some butter into his coffee, but I don't think I'd like melted butter on top of my morning coffee -- blended in though, it would probably be different.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

This morning is Wednesday, and I just tried out a recipe I found at: Paleo Breakfast Porridge for a cooked breakfast cereal.

I cut her recipe in half – here is my adapted version of it:

PALEO BREAKFAST PORRIDGE
    1 ripe banana, mashed (I used one I had previously frozen)
    1 cup cereal milk* or other milk substitute
    6 tablespoons almond meal
    2 tablespoons golden flax meal
    1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ginger
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    A pinch of nutmeg

Various toppings: raisins, other dried fruit, nuts, shredded coconut, a sweetener of your choice if necessary: honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, etc…

In a small saucepan, mix the milk substitute gradually into the mashed banana. Add the remaining ingredients, and heat until bubbling over medium heat, stirring constantly.

Remove from heat and serve with various toppings and more milk.

This recipe made one very large serving or two small servings. Looking at the nutrition information, this whole recipe has about as much protein as two eggs, and more than double the fat.

I found the consistency to be more like a pudding. I needed to add some shredded unsweetened coconut for texture. Perhaps I will try using this recipe, melting in some chocolate, and chill it in a couple of custard cups and see if it makes chocolate pudding!

Also, I’m thinking about subbing unsweetened natural style applesauce (about a half cup) for the banana – or perhaps using a blender to blend an apple into the cereal milk. This recipe definitely has possibilities!

*Cereal Milk:
    Pour 1 can full fat coconut milk into a quart size jar. Using the can measure out 1 can of unsweetened, unflavored almond milk. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Put on the lid and shake well!
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Wow – I’ve reached my 100th post! Why am I bothering to do this? This thread is an attempt to come up with recipes that I can include in a Paleo Lenten meal plan, and also to help others who are struggling with combining Paleo/Primal eating and Orthodox Christian Lenten practice. My Father Confessor realizes that I use a lot of time and effort thinking about food, and finding new recipes. This obviously is not the goal of a Lenten period. There are higher goals than filling one’s stomach. We are to eat simpler food to free ourselves from the concerns of food, and devote our attention to spiritual endeavors. If we have become “fat adapted” a Lenten Fast may also provide a good opportunity for practicing IF. During a fasting time, we are to learn to say “no” to our own desires and to exercise our will power, so that at some future time when we get tempted with a really destructive sin, we have the strength to say “no.”

One of my priest’s suggestions to me was to come up with a 1 week or 2 week menu plan, and just keep repeating it until the Fasting period is over. Good advice! I haven’t followed it yet, because ever since he told me that, I’ve been changing my diet and my recipes: from CW through Healthy Exchanges through Calorie Counting through Nourishing Traditions through various other ideas until I finally stumbled into Paleo/Primal last year sometime. I am still building up a repertoire of recipes to choose from to come up with a 2 week plan.

Those of you who are Orthodox know that there are 4 major Fasting periods during the year: Lent and Holy week (about 7 weeks total); the Apostles Fast (length varies depending on when Easter is); the Dormition Fast (the first two weeks in August); Advent (November 15 through Christmas Eve – with the exception of Thanksgiving here in the US); and we also eat Lenten food on Wednesdays and Fridays (which is good practice for the 4 major fasts during the year). As you can see, this amounts to a large percentage of the year! Now, not to be legalistic about Lenten food – of course the fasts can be modified in consultation with one’s priest, however we are not to decide on our personal Lenten disciplines by ourselves.

I am hoping this thread offers some hope to those who are finding that combining Paleo/Primal and Lenten foods to be a very difficult challenge, and also to be too much thought about food during a time of spiritual exercise. I am doing the thought for you.

In another couple weeks we will observe the Dormition Fast – August 1st to the 14th – the “Lent” for the Virgin Mary. So my gift to you is a Recipe Index – my next two posts, # 101 and #102 (pg. 11), will list all of the recipes so far. I will continue to edit it to include future recipes as well.
    Last edited by Antiochia; 07-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    Ruth

~Bill Cosby

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast