Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deliberately slowing down metabolism? page

2ndChance is offline Senior Member

Deliberately slowing down metabolism?

Shop Now
    I'm just wondering what y'all think of the idea of trying to deliberately SLOW your metabolism. (For someone who is happy with their weight, at least). Yeah, it's unheard of in modern culture, but it's what Grok would have desired, isn't it?

I've read that yoga can slow your metabolism (assuming you're not doing hot yoga or some fast-paced yoga-ish class, but just, yanno, sitting cross-legged on a mat and meditating). I'd say 95% of my exercise comes from things like holding poses or stretching; lately I don't feel inclined to run or bike--though that could be a response to the crappy weather--and so I haven't done much cardio (unless you count, yanno, exercise in the bedroom, the Grokkiest workout there is ). I lift weights at home occasionally, nothing too heavy and only when I feel like it.

Even so, I have a decently active life, a good amount of walking during the day, lots of yoga, occasional lifting of heavy things, sometimes I feel inclined to sprint up the stairs to my apartment... I think I have a pretty slow metabolism as it is, but for the sake of food cost, it would benefit me to require as little food as possible. I'm not anorexic by any means; if I'm hungry, I eat, and I eat whatever I want (I only want primal things, have lost taste for sugar/most grains/processed crap, except the occasional beer). I'm just wondering, has anyone else set out to slow their metabolism, and if so, what methods did you use, what worked, what didn't... go!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't know if actively trying to slow your metabolism is a great idea. once your health is in order, your body should regulate that kind of stuff without your brain getting in the way. what you're really after isn't some specific weight or bodyfat percentage, it's homeostasis, which is the composition your body wants for survival and thriving. since that is what your body wants, it will do what it needs to get it through it's own regulatory systems.

That's all very true, my brain is always getting in the way of my health--I can be my own worst enemy sometimes. It's like I've spent all my life thinking I couldn't trust my body's signals that now that they're finally straightened out, I still feel like I should be turning to some external source for advice...

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    but it's what Grok would have desired, isn't it?!
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I've read that yoga can slow your metabolism
    How?

If you are happy with your weight then eat the amount needed to keep that weight.
    Last edited by Darz; 03-18-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Not for weight, but for longevity - I'd love to slow my metabolism WAY down, if I could be convinced it wouldn't wreck my health. Everything seems to point to wrecked health, though. So aside from avoiding excess carbohydrate (more importantly, toxins!) and doing everything in my power to avoid stress, I have been led to believe that lifespan is better spent living than playing statue.

Trees live much longer when their metabolisms are slowed down, but I'm not a tree. I would like to be a tree!Fluttershy's Lament - YouTube

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Zach is offline Banned
    I dont know if you understand what metabolism is, but you want to actively slow down body regulations and enter a hibernation like state?

I don't want to slow my calorie-burning rate down if its at a healthy rate already... I agree, life is better spent living than worrying about things like this, but I want to be able to live on as little as possible.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Why not just IF if you want to save money on food? Or live off of potatoes?

Paleobird Guest
    Aren't you the one who flounced out of here a while back to go become a vegetarian? Back so soon?

Almost 3 months vegan and never felt better! I haven't found another nutrition forum as active as this one, though *sigh*

Edit: I still consider myself primal. Y'all may not welcome me anymore, but I still think, "what would Grok do?" and Grok would do what felt right. I don't say to myself, "if you want eggs, you can't have them." I just don't want them. If I wanted them, I'd buy some.
    Last edited by 2ndChance; 03-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast