Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Deliberately slowing down metabolism? page 4

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    there, i fixed that for you, unchantenfrance

askmehowiknowthetruth........ sigh....

LOL that is highly accurate. But it's a labor of love. Probably if DH had it his way he'd eat the burger and fries everyday, good thing he has you to provide him healthy alternatives, unchantenfrance!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Aww, thank you for this. I think at this point, it's help thyself for me. It's not about how I eat or what I do in the gym. It's about accepting self.
    Definitely! The road to unconditional self-love is a long one, but there's no journey more worthy of our time and energy! Even now that I've worked out most of my issues I still find that I treat myself worse than I treat anyone else in my life.

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Maybe he's just not eating enough, and it's not that his metabolism is fast. The lack of quality sleep along with brain fog is a good indication of a general lack of calories.
    See, I don't know. He's one of those people who has trouble finishing all the food that is on his plate. He says he can't force himself to finish something when he can't anymore (whereas I am a human garbage disposal). He's the type of person who will leave 3 blueberries in the bowl because he "can't finish them." I don't know what goes on with him.

And LOL thanks Julie. He's actually perfectly capable of feeding himself, just gets lazy (that "learned helplessness" perhaps?) and needs me to prod and guide him while he cooks his lunches.
    Last edited by unchatenfrance; 03-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like it could be serotonin then.

"In the brain, serotonin regulates circulation and mitochondrial function, temperature, respiration and appetite, alertness and learning, secretion of prolactin, growth hormones and stress hormones, and participates in the most complex biochemical webs."

Thyroid, insomnia, and the insanities: Commonalities in disease
    nihil

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    You're right 2ndChance!

He absolutely fakes dementia when it comes to making
    his own damn lunch., but yeah, if I want him to eat
    HEALTHY FOODS, then I guess MAWMA has to pack it
    for him.

So up I get at 6:20 to make lunch for 45yo, 10yo and 8yo... hahahaha!

@unchantenfrance - you're welcome, any time!

I could be a human garbage disposal as well, where my husband is like yours
    and "gets full" fairly quickly.

I can pork down dinner and be ready for a mess of chocolate for dessert, but when
    offered to him, he says "oh wow, I can't I'm full".

What? Seriously? People get full when there's chocolate in the house?

I think it's time to phone my attorney because I'm pretty sure that's grounds
    for divorce.

~Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    See, I don't know. He's one of those people who has trouble finishing all the food that is on his plate. He says he can't force himself to finish something when he can't anymore (whereas I am a human garbage disposal). He's the type of person who will leave 3 blueberries in the bowl because he "can't finish them." I don't know what goes on with him.

And LOL thanks Julie. He's actually perfectly capable of feeding himself, just gets lazy (that "learned helplessness" perhaps?) and needs me to prod and guide him while he cooks his lunches.
    His brain fog could be from the low quality meats (among loads of other questionable ingredients) he's eating at work. Should be pretty easy to find some literature on why fast food/CAFO meat is bad. Still probably won't convince him to start cooking lunch for himself, but you can at least plant the seed to help him understand WHY he shouldn't eat all the greasy, addictive-smelling food at the food court. (My boyfriend is getting there, though he's still at a point of "I'm eating better because you want me to" rather than wanting it for himself... baby steps!)

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Love that article.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    He KNOWS what food is good and what food is bad. But we can't afford grassfed so we just buy the best possible meat and dairy we can at the moment, which more often than not is CAFO. But none of this seems to be affecting me. My mental clarity, motivation and immune system positively kick his ass. (I'm not kidding - he gets sick 3-4 times a year. In the 5 years we've been together I have gotten sick only twice - each time from him - while he gets sick on a fairly regular basis).

And thanks for the article, Derpamix. I'll have to read it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    He KNOWS what food is good and what food is bad. But we can't afford grassfed so we just buy the best possible meat and dairy we can at the moment, which more often than not is CAFO. But none of this seems to be affecting me. My mental clarity, motivation and immune system positively kick his ass. (I'm not kidding - he gets sick 3-4 times a year. In the 5 years we've been together I have gotten sick only twice - each time from him - while he gets sick on a fairly regular basis).

And thanks for the article, Derpamix. I'll have to read it tonight.
    My personal feeling is that it would be better to eat less meat but eat grass-fed meat than to eat CAFO meat... never know WHAT happened to those cows/chickens/etc. Dairy you could do without, though if you can't quit it, I hope you're at least going for the RBGH-free stuff!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I wouldn't worry about the meat, lean cuts have less o6, and I don't buy grass-fed at all. I doubt the burgers anywhere are really fatty cuts, as those are usually too pricey.

Also, balancing out muscle meats with gelatin is helpful. Glycine has anti-serotonin actions, and Knox gelatin is dirt cheap and has more glycine due to the fact it's both porcine and bovine.
    nihil

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast