Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deliberately slowing down metabolism? page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    To believe that a slow metabolism promotes longevity is embracing a fallacy that when our cells have too much energy to process they just shut down or become resistant. It's not true, energy and structure are interdependent at every level, when you have the ability to do something, you do it.

This is why metabolism and intelligence go hand in hand.

Q: How malleable is human intelligence?

Ray: "In 1962 Mark Rosenzweig showed that an enriched environment caused rats' brains to grow. A little later, someone found that the DNA content of human brains kept increasing until the age of 90, and about 10 years ago, studies started showing experience-related growth in human brains. Thyroid and thiamine can have great effects on mental ability, and the steroids can either shrink or expand the brain substance. The old Weissmanist-Hayflick doctrine has kept people from thinking about the adaptive nature of adult tissues, but more people are starting to realize that the principles of embryology keep functioning throughout life."

I take a little thyroid because it gives me clarity, same with coffee. Since expanding my metabolism greatly, I've memorized an absurd amount of knowledge in a short time, and no longer am prone to bouts of horrible brain fog and forgetfulness.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Derpamix, not to hijack the thread but my DH appears to have a very fast metabolism - naturally lean and muscular, impossible for him to gain weight, he loses muscle rapidly as soon as he stops working out - yet he has horrible brain fog and his memory is only worsening. Any suggestions on what he could do?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I'm just wondering what y'all think of the idea of trying to deliberately SLOW your metabolism. (For someone who is happy with their weight, at least). Yeah, it's unheard of in modern culture, but it's what Grok would have desired, isn't it?
    This is why VLC proponents such as Ron Rosedale propose that reduced T3 conversion is of benefit in a ketotic state. He believes that the lowered rate of conversion is conducive to longevity.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/2012/...-ron-rosedale/

"In addition to asking what foods improve hormone signaling, you’re also asking another question. You’re asking “What foods generate the most metabolic heat, simply to digest them, and what foods generate the least amount of heat? The answer to that question gives you a good strong predictor of what is going to lead to the least wear and tear on the body."

Ron would be the anti-thermogenesis fella in this debate. So you have two polar extremes with Peat and Ron's protocols and health philosophies.

Frankly, I don't think either one of them are gonna make you a supercentarian.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 03-18-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Leida, I see your posts around, and it sounds like you're having a really hard time finding a plan that works for you. It makes me wish I could help you somehow! Life shouldn't be such a chore!
    Aww, thank you for this. I think at this point, it's help thyself for me. It's not about how I eat or what I do in the gym. It's about accepting self.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by unchatenfrance View Post
    Derpamix, not to hijack the thread but my DH appears to have a very fast metabolism - naturally lean and muscular, impossible for him to gain weight, he loses muscle rapidly as soon as he stops working out - yet he has horrible brain fog and his memory is only worsening. Any suggestions on what he could do?
    What's his diet like?

Serotonin can cause learned helplessness, and coffee and b1 can help it. I was like your husband, I've been lean with a high metabolism, but I experienced those things too, and I think the cause was PUFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    What's his diet like?

Serotonin can cause learned helplessness, and coffee and b1 can help it.
    He's about 60-70% Primal by default. He used to eat a lot of grains but has cut back since I've stopped keeping them in the house. He buys his lunches at work (at a yuppie food court) - I know it's not the best solution for him but he has of his own volition started eschewing grains even when given the choice to eat them, such as for lunch. He usually gets a protein (often fish since I'm allergic and don't prepare it at home), a potato dish and/or salad for lunch - something truly junky (burger and fries) no more than once a week, sometimes less. The rest of his meals are at home. He eats maybe 1-2 slices of toast a day at best, and at home plenty of fruits and veggies, healthy fats and proteins. He prefers salty to sweet, and he's the type who gets tired and foggy, not actually hungry, when his body is telling him he needs to eat. He's not a "foodie" or a big eater and rarely gets cravings. BUT he doesn't exercise much, or regularly, and is a very light sleeper. He's 5'10 and 160 lbs on a good day (15-20%bf).

ETA: he's also trying to cut back on coffee because it makes him jittery and restless and he has sleep problems as it is.

Oh and he also wants to save money and I want him to eat healthier so "he" (meaning "we") will start making his lunches. That is what he says. I am most worried about his PUFA consumption. Do you have any further literature to recommend on this?

Maybe he's just not eating enough, and it's not that his metabolism is fast. The lack of quality sleep along with brain fog is a good indication of a general lack of calories.

Glycine(gelatin), GABA(taurine is structurally similar), DHEA, pregnenolone, t3, a little weight training, and eating more can all help.

Oh and he also wants to save money and I want him to eat healthier so "he" (meaning "we") will start making his lunches. That is what he says. I am most worried about his PUFA consumption. Do you have any further literature to recommend on this?
    Cooking in coconut oil can work to displace PUFA and make tissue more saturated. The ketones are also very neuro-protective.

Oh, and eating out is likely introducing a lot of bad fats anyway. The grains are probably elevating serotonin due to the abrasive fibers, I've heard it can affect a lot of people's moods in general.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 03-18-2013 at 01:31 PM.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Oh and he also wants to save money and I want him to eat healthier so "he" will start making his lunches. That is what he says. I am most worried about his PUFA consumption. Do you have any further (meaning "ME") literature to recommend on this?
    there, i fixed that for you, unchantenfrance

askmehowiknowthetruth........ sigh....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast