Thread: Foods to avoid or add in while being treated for H. Pylori page

Momto3 is offline Senior Member

Foods to avoid or add in while being treated for H. Pylori

Primal Fuel
    I recently started an herbal treatment for H. Pylori. I was wondering if anyone had some experience in this and if they received any advice on what foods to avoid or add in to help with the treatment.

Thanks!

(I've been primal for about 3 years.)
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    Keep meat and fat low and raw fruit and veg high. Also lots of coconut products and fluids.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    The paleosphere at large would disagree with Zach's advice.
    More evidence to support the theory that GERD is caused by bacterial overgrowth
    "Excessive fructose, certain types of fiber and starch, and particularly wheat increase hydrogen production, and thus increase the risk of infection by H. pylori and other pathogenic bacteria. If you’d like to avoid heartburn, GERD and the many other unpleasant symptoms associated with bacterial overgrowth, it follows that you should minimize your intake of sugars, starches and grains."

Coconut products are a good call, however, for their antimicrobial properties.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Zach is offline Banned
    The paleosphere is mostly idiots. Notice only recommended frui and veg, not sugar, starch and grains. Animsl fat in particular will cause the most discomfort.

Op, i dont know what remedy you are going to try but most likely you will need to take antibiotics to fully cure it.

Namelesswander, I recognize the quote from Chris Kresser, whom I highly respect. I am taking a product called Pyloricil. It has zinc carsonine, mastic gum, and bismuth. Right now I'm not in horrible pain. Some sharp pain, mostly pressure and some nausea. Zach, is your advice from personal experience or do you have resource? Do you think the meat makes the environment more acidic? I know the three step approach suppresses stomach acid so that the antibiotics work better. I'm just wanting to give the herbs the best chance they've got. I'll try some coconut products, but I usually feel worse with them. I am drink homemade beef broth. I will be adding some soil based probiotics, and I am also taking glutamine, dgl and aloe to help heal the lining.

I wonder how much the advice for SIBO applies to H Pylori.

My Journal

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes personal experience and research. Stomach acid and bile will aggravate it for sure, try some fresh juice if you have or would invest in a juicer.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Manuka honey (from New Zealand) seems to help.
    Life. Be in it.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    My husband just finished an H Pylori protocol about 2 months ago.

I'm not sure exactly what treatment you are doing, but what he did seems to have worked really well, which was:

1) 1 teaspoon of turmeric per day (from research, this seems to be the most potent anti H Pylori agent available)
    2) Mastic gum supplement
    3) taking HCl with meals, since H Pylori downregulates stomach acid
    4) my husband didn't do this one, but taking bismuth subsalicyte (pepto bismol is the brand name) coats the inside of the stomach lining and prevents the H Pylori from burrowing in
    5) taking DGL will both provide instant relief from ulcer pain (if you have any) by prompting the stomach to secrete more mucosal lining, something else downregulated by the H Pylori so that it can burrow into the lining more effectively.
    6) drinking OJ daily (I don't remember why, but he found some research that it contained something the H Pylori hate)

Other than those things, we didn't come across any specific foods to eat or avoid, so I don't think you need to worry about it.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    6) drinking OJ daily (I don't remember why, but he found some research that it contained something the H Pylori hate)
    Vitamin C. Super high doses kill off the bacteria.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

My Journal