Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So. Fish oil brands. page 3

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Green pasture is the only one I could find which is not heated. Plus it is full of vitamins and more omega 3 than many other brands.
    You defenitely want green pasture, take their butter oil to if you can afford it. Take the cod liver oil/butter oil blend gel, not capsules, the gel is much cheaper per gram.
    well then

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This one is good, too.

What Do Margarine And Fish Oil Have In Common? | Delia Health

Uh oh.

Mmm! Trans fats! Yum.

Fresh fish is a fine, healthy food. It is also completely and totally unnecessary to be healthy. As for fish oil, the only thing it's good for is seasoning cast iron and making homemade paint. DO NOT CONSUME.
    Green Pasture Fermented cod liver oil
    well then

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Green Pasture Fermented cod liver oil
    That would be like taking cold pressed canola oil, except much worse. Let's assume it's not heated to several hundred degrees. Fish oil oxidizes in the refrigerator. It's still been exposed to 70-80+ degree room temperatures, air and light. If you wouldn't want to use cold pressed canola oil that's been sitting out on the counter for weeks or months, you wouldn't want to take that fish oil since canola oil is much more stable and prone to oxidation.

Admittedly, cold liver oil has massive quantities of Vitamin A and D, and it's much more proven and "old world" than refined fish oil from menhaden and sardines, so there may be legit reasons to take it. My mother has some skin issues and one cod liver oil a day seems to rid her of them, and they come back if she stops taking them. My guess is the Vitamin A is the cause. But if you can get a better source of Vitamin A and D - like butteroil and sunlight - it may be a better choice.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    That would be like taking cold pressed canola oil, except much worse. Let's assume it's not heated to several hundred degrees. Fish oil oxidizes in the refrigerator. It's still been exposed to 70-80+ degree room temperatures, air and light. If you wouldn't want to use cold pressed canola oil that's been sitting out on the counter for weeks or months, you wouldn't want to take that fish oil since canola oil is much more stable and prone to oxidation.

Admittedly, cold liver oil has massive quantities of Vitamin A and D, and it's much more proven and "old world" than refined fish oil from menhaden and sardines, so there may be legit reasons to take it. My mother has some skin issues and one cod liver oil a day seems to rid her of them, and they come back if she stops taking them. My guess is the Vitamin A is the cause. But if you can get a better source of Vitamin A and D - like butteroil and sunlight - it may be a better choice.
    Unless you have some substantial evidence I don't buy this first paragraph one little bit. You would have to show that this stuff is highly oxidized in its fermented state. Fermentation preserves, and there are plenty of studies that show certain vitamins in conjunction with PUFA mitigate/eliminate issues associated with PUFA oxidation anyhow. Vitamin E comes to mind.

So you have a high vitamin substance that has been fermented in a traditional manner that you would like to claim is as bad as canola oil left out on a shelf for months? Nah, I don't think so.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    First off, I am also a big believer in eating actual fish over supplementation.

I personally wouldn't consider fermented cod liver oil to be in the same category as fish oil. FCLO seems more like actual food because of its co-factors and the fact it is minimally processed than your typical fish oil supplements which could be rancid and oxidized by the time it hits the shelves.

For people who want to compare fish oil brands. The international fish oil standards program goes through a process of rating most popular fish oils on the market.
    The International Fish Oil Standards Program
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

kendo is offline Junior Member
    I take Super Concentrate Omega-3 from Stronger Faster Healthier. (Formerly Omega Maine). Their formula is very potent. It may seem expensive, but at 1 tsp per day these bottles last 6 months. I bought 2 bottles at the end of 2011 and still finishing the last bottle. Not sure about heating or processing. They mention 'molecular distillation.'

10 oz SO3 Super Concentrate Omega-3 - Stronger Faster Healthier

Each teaspoon delivers over 3100mg of EPA and DHA
    Soy free, gluten free and sugar free
    Five delicious flavors: tangerine, mint, lemon, vanilla and chocolate
    All natural concentrated omega 3 oil
    Liquid form to optimize absorption efficiently
    Third party tested: our SO3 oil meets or exceeds CRN, GOED, IFOS, WHO and Prop 65 Standards.
    Our product is prepared from sardines, herring and anchovies using molecular distillation making it possible to concentrate EPA and DHA.
    Mercury free, no heavy metals, no toxins

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Unless you have some substantial evidence I don't buy this first paragraph one little bit. You would have to show that this stuff is highly oxidized in its fermented state. Fermentation preserves, and there are plenty of studies that show certain vitamins in conjunction with PUFA mitigate/eliminate issues associated with PUFA oxidation anyhow. Vitamin E comes to mind.

So you have a high vitamin substance that has been fermented in a traditional manner that you would like to claim is as bad as canola oil left out on a shelf for months? Nah, I don't think so.
    You're assuming studies have been done to specifically analyze the trans fatty acid composition of various brands of fish oil. To my knowledge, none exist. Let's look at the facts:

1.) Fish oil is highly refined and typically comes from farmed fish.

2.) Fish oil is not fresh - it has been sitting in that bottle for awhile, and it's been exposed to heat, air and light the entire time.

3.) All soybean and canola oil on the shelf contains some degree of trans fatty acids due to the instability of the fats and the refinement process itself. It can be as much as 4.2%.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...244.x/abstract

4.) Fish oil is much less stable than canola and soybean oils.

This is where critical reasoning comes into play. Fish oils are exposed to similar conditions as canola and soybean oils. Canola and soybean oils all contain significant quantities of trans fats before even leaving the manufacturing plant. Fish oils are much less stable than canola and soybean oils.

Do you seriously think fish oils won't contain trans fats given that information?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You're assuming studies have been done to specifically analyze the trans fatty acid composition of various brands of fish oil. To my knowledge, none exist. Let's look at the facts:

1.) Fish oil is highly refined and typically comes from farmed fish.

2.) Fish oil is not fresh - it has been sitting in that bottle for awhile, and it's been exposed to heat, air and light the entire time.

3.) All soybean and canola oil on the shelf contains some degree of trans fatty acids due to the instability of the fats and the refinement process itself. It can be as much as 4.2%.

LEVELS OF TRANS GEOMETRICAL ISOMERS OF ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS IN SOME UNHYDROGENATED U. S. VEGETABLE OILS - O'KEEFE - 2007 - Journal of Food Lipids - Wiley Online Library

4.) Fish oil is much less stable than canola and soybean oils.

This is where critical reasoning comes into play. Fish oils are exposed to similar conditions as canola and soybean oils. Canola and soybean oils all contain significant quantities of trans fats before even leaving the manufacturing plant. Fish oils are much less stable than canola and soybean oils.

Do you seriously think fish oils won't contain trans fats given that information?
    I was responding to the one specific brand in question... which is greenpasture fermented cod liver oil. We all know (or should) that there is a HUGE variance in food and manufacturing quality depending on supplier. So where your concerns are valid when it comes to some supermarket brand junk you can not reasonably extrapolate that to a superior product such as this Purity Statement - Green Pasture .

1. From wild caught fish
    2. Fermented and kept air tight in light resistant bottles
    3 and 4. FCLO has lower levels of O3 than concentrated fish oil pills with an abundance of stabilizing vitamins and natural cofactors. Most of the problem with PUFA's is endogenous oxidation anyhow rather than the exogenous sort.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I use these along with wild salmon. And cod for pure enjoyment

Vitacost Norwegian Salmon Oil 100% Wild Caught -- 2,200 mg per serving - 240 Softgels - Vitacost

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I was responding to the one specific brand in question... which is greenpasture fermented cod liver oil. We all know (or should) that there is a HUGE variance in food and manufacturing quality depending on supplier. So where your concerns are valid when it comes to some supermarket brand junk you can not reasonably extrapolate that to a superior product such as this Purity Statement - Green Pasture .

1. From wild caught fish
    2. Fermented and kept air tight in light resistant bottles
    3 and 4. FCLO has lower levels of O3 than concentrated fish oil pills with an abundance of stabilizing vitamins and natural cofactors. Most of the problem with PUFA's is endogenous oxidation anyhow rather than the exogenous sort.
    I agree that a fish oil that is fermented and not heated is going to be superior to the highly refined, heated ones on the market. However, it is still an oil prone to rancidity and I strongly doubt it isn't at least partially oxidized. Fish oil has traditionally been used to make paint products because it hardens into a glasslike finish at room temperature with normal exposure to air and light. It's impossible to shield it competely from all air, heat and light.

I think fish is the least healthy meat due to the high PUFA content. It may not be blatantly unhealthy like fish oil is, but I think it's one of the reasons why Inuits age so poorly - high levels of cold water fish. Warm water fish, which are usually very lean and contain little fat, seem to be associated with healthy traditional societies. I rank my meats by the ratio of saturatedolyunsaturated fat, which puts most fish dead last. What a shame because salmon is pretty darn good.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast