Thread: Omega 3 Supplementation for Vegetarians page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Many of us PBers are constantly trying to share what we learn with non-PBers we care about in an attempt to improve their health.

I am currently trying to advice a (female) lacto-ovo-vegetarian about O-3 supplementation, but the more I read, the grimmer the scenario looks:

- Omega 3 supplementation can cause problems in people on a high carb diet

- Omega 3 does not pair well with alcohol consumption

- Vegetable sources of O-3 are not absorbed nearly as good as fish sources.

I am currently trying to offer ways of lowering PUFAs by suggesting the use EVOO and organic butter as a replacement for vegetable cooking oils, so this should have an impact on O-6 levels.

I am also encouraging the frequent consumption of O-3 enriched eggs, but I am not sure if this is enough.

Is anyone on the same boat? Any tips will be very welcomed.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

PrimalCanuck is offline Junior Member

I was an ovo-lacto veg for a decade until about a year ago, when I transitioned into adding more protein and fat to my diet, going back to meat-eating, then low carb, and now paleo in pursuit of better health and fitness.

If the person is eating a high-grain diet like I was, chances are that adding high omega 3 eggs is a good way to get them started on more healthy fats in their diet, as well as displacing some grains. Both of these will help them feel better. Every little bit helps, and in my case adding two eggs per day to an otherwise high carb, high grain diet made enough of a difference to motivate me to keep on figuring out what was making me feel better.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Omega 3 or Lafitte-Rothschild? That's a choice?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

PC I hear you. I don't see her eating fish anytime soon though. Thing is, vegetarianism can be based on emotions, and I get why. I also think that it can be a necessary by-product of some personality traits we admire from that person, so trying to change it might go against more that a diet. Or maybe I'm just being excessively dramatic. lol

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

meatman is offline Junior Member

how about recommending a 1-2 tbsp of ground flax seed a day. It's not the best since flax has poor conversion rates to the metabolites, but it's more versatile with respect to the form of consumption (shakes, as salad topper)

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

How about recommending fish oil caps. Unless the person is very religious about it, they will generally consider it.

Since the person you are talking about is ovo-lacto-vegetarian, he/she should only have problems with meat. The problem with fish oil is more of smell. There should be no problem in taking the fish oil caps.

Atleast that is what I have found when I have recommended fish oil to my vegetarian friends in India.

I do tell them that ALA conversion rate is pathetic, and fish oil is a much better source. They are mostly OK with getting the caps.