Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50

Thread: Bulk, cut, 4 days, 3 days?? page 5

  1. #41
    Kingofturtles's Avatar
    Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    301
    Primal Fuel
    I am also an advocate of long rest periods between lifts. Honestly, I think a month isnt long enough. I did my first workout session when I was 12 years old. I logged everything I did. My max bench was 90 lbs back then. I am going for my 2nd training session today (25 years old, almost 26). I am hoping to see some good gains on my BP. My goal is to max out at at least 100. Since benching 12 years ago I havent done much. I played high level hockey, thats about it. I still expect that I can lift more than I could when I was 12 though, as I have given my pecks a long time to heal.

    Ill report back with my findings.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    Along those lines, do you have any opinion as to whether or not it matters when I'm lifting (as in time of day)? I prefer to workout early morning before I go to work. This is fine for cardio, though I can see how it might be detrimental to strength training (stiff muscles, I won't have eaten anything, and I really don't have the opportunity to immediately follow up the workout with a protein shake or similar).
    like others have said, it definitely varies person to person. i can do light cardio in the morning, but i don't have the energy or strength to lift heavy or do HIT then. can't do stuff like that before 10am or so. so i certainly can't do it at 5am. i have always been this way.

  3. #43
    Greenbeast's Avatar
    Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    539
    why is the user not bearing the full force of that weight? the weight is not being supported by the lever.

    you're not the bearer of bad news, i'm happy that i can make at least 10kg gains by training once a month, who wants to be in the gym 12 times a month!?

    i assume the SS is not to failure, so anyone starting out will be underlifting, so of course they'll jump a few lb/kg each session, the weight they're lifting after 2, 3, 4 weeks could have been done in the first week
    Last edited by Greenbeast; 03-18-2013 at 01:05 PM.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    why is the user not bearing the full force of that weight? the weight is not being supported by the lever.

    you're not the bearer of bad news, i'm happy that i can make at least 10kg gains by training once a month, who wants to be in the gym 12 times a month!?

    i assume the SS is not to failure, so anyone starting out will be underlifting, so of course they'll just a few lb/kg each session, the weight they're lifting after 2, 3, 4 weeks could have been done in the first week
    you're obviously entitled to your opinions. but 1-you're not going to shoot holes in starting strength, and 2-you clearly aren't someone who likes exercise or is interested in any real strength gains. to each their own. your particular experience is certainly not going to be helpful to the OP.

    to counter your question, why would someone want to take 1 year to make the gains that could be made in 2 months?

    lever+not a normal range of motion=not doing all the work. you aren't actually supporting the entire weight and you aren't carrying that weight through a full range of motion
    Last edited by not on the rug; 03-19-2013 at 05:49 AM.

  5. #45
    UTfootball747's Avatar
    UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    To the OP:

    Seriously, don't overthink this. People who say "I'm kinda fat and don't really lift weights, what should I do?" just need to eat clean and lift some weights. Add in some other movement during the week. Done and done. Pick a program and DO IT, since you said in the OP that you just kinda fart around on everything workout related, usually. After several months reevaluate.
    I actually am pretty consistent when doing it (at least in showing up and putting in 45 min to an hour of lifting), though I might change routines every few months when I'm getting bored and not seeing results. When I stopped it was completely and for way too long, but I was at it for a couple years or so prior to. I guess I've always felt that I wasn't really making great progress because I didn't commit to building muscle over slimming down, so I was probably not eating enough.

    Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

  6. #46
    UTfootball747's Avatar
    UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    I am also an advocate of long rest periods between lifts. Honestly, I think a month isnt long enough. I did my first workout session when I was 12 years old. I logged everything I did. My max bench was 90 lbs back then. I am going for my 2nd training session today (25 years old, almost 26). I am hoping to see some good gains on my BP. My goal is to max out at at least 100. Since benching 12 years ago I havent done much. I played high level hockey, thats about it. I still expect that I can lift more than I could when I was 12 though, as I have given my pecks a long time to heal.

    Ill report back with my findings.

  7. #47
    Kingofturtles's Avatar
    Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    301
    for the two people here that lift once per month for "cool gains". I wanna know ur max for bench press, squat and deadlift.

  8. #48
    Greenbeast's Avatar
    Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Kent, UK
    Posts
    539
    what, 1RM?

    I don't really bench press or deadlift, never liked them too much.

    I felt happier with the squat and pull down, much safer more controlled exercises.

  9. #49
    PrimalRanger's Avatar
    PrimalRanger is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    what, 1RM?

    I don't really bench press or deadlift, never liked them too much.

    I felt happier with the squat and pull down, much safer more controlled exercises.
    Start with a powerful and fundamental exercise.... the push-up. Then you can graduate to bench press, dumbbell fly/dumbbell presses. Within weeks you'll notice an improvement in your chest. If you are half-decided about what exercises you want to do you can't expect immediate or lasting results. The more muscle you exercise and involve the more overall results you will see and quicker. Muscle tear down/rebuilding is a 24/7 process which means you will burn fat in your sleep while your body rebuilds and recovers. If you stick with a solid weekly program and a strict diet for 8-12 weeks, then you will make some progress.

  10. #50
    The Primal Minister's Avatar
    The Primal Minister is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Follow the fitness plan and you'll get there. The downloadable e-book is free when you sign up and is only about a hundred pages long. Simple movements: pushups, pullups, planks and squats. It's all that is prescribed and really all that you need. Once you get to the mastery level, there are variations you can incorporate that will challenge you and build your strength further.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •