Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bulk, cut, 4 days, 3 days?? page 4

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    ok lets posit a new hypothetical situation:
    in any given week you go to the gym and lift 3 times.

you life XXXlb on day one, what do you do the other two sessions, lift the same again? what for?
    if the body isn't pushed it won't adapt. if it doesn't need to lift anymore that XXXlb it won't grow the muscle. And if you can already lift it on day one, why go back until your body is stronger, which it sure as hell won't be in 2 days rest.

honestly once a month is more than enough, once i hit my peak (given my genetic expression) i will lift the same but much less often, just to maintain tht level of strength. or i could pick any point in between now and then and just hit the gym once every few months
    This scenario is also pointless as it does not represent a valid reflection of what one should aim to do in the gym. Do us a favour and have a quick read through the starting strength wiki posted earlier in the thread. It is a linear progression where new lifters aim to add weight every time they go to the gym, 3 times a week. Once lifters plateau there are a couple of mechanisms to break the plateau. Once these mechanisms fail to succeed, a more advanced program with longer between body part workouts is recommended i.e. weekly weight increases.

My point - you shouldn't aim to lift the same amount each time you go to the gym.

Your proposal (squats and pull-downs) doesn't even incorporate all major muscle groups (no chest or shoulders, limited lower back).
    Last edited by maclrc; 03-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    this is what i'm training on:
    Powertec Squat/Calf Raise

i was bigger when i lifted 220kg, it was a few years back. Just started training again.

It's entirely your right to call BS on it, i don't know if i've got any way of proving it. But i guess i don't really need to

Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    This scenario is also pointless as it does not represent a valid reflection of what one should aim to do in the gym. Do us a favour and have a quick read through the starting strength wiki posted earlier in the thread. It is a linear progression where new lifters aim to add weight every time they go to the gym, 3 times a week. Once lifters plateau there are a couple of mechanisms to break the plateau. Once these mechanisms fail to succeed, a more advanced program with longer between body part workouts is recommended i.e. weekly weight increases.
    yeah sorry i haven't actually read the SS stuff, i'll have a look now, but if gains can be made on less training, why would i (or anyone) want to to do more?

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    this is what i'm training on:
    Powertec Squat/Calf Raise

i was bigger when i lifted 220kg, it was a few years back. Just started training again.

It's entirely your right to call BS on it, i don't know if i've got any way of proving it. But i guess i don't really need to
    Yeah, never really seen a machine like that before, but looks like it would be somewhere between a leg press and real squat in terms of difficulty i.e. harder to "cheat" like on a leg press, but without the full stabilisation required when squatting with a BB. I've no real idea what 220kg on that would translate into on a BB, but I reckon between 120-160kg.

I'm not going to say it isn't possible for you to make gains by following your programme. My experience and that of others simply suggests that many will not be able to make gains on it and there are almost certainly more efficient ways to do so. It is all a bit cake and eat it stuff. 12 workouts a year, 2 exercises a workout, great gains...hmmmm

But, YMMV as they say, so good luck to you.

OP - try out starting strength

yeah sorry i haven't actually read the SS stuff, i'll have a look now, but if gains can be made on less training, why would i (or anyone) want to to do more?
    theoretically speaking, gains can be made with minimal training. yes. but they are minimal gains. minimal strength development. minimal muscular development. don't confuse the minimal newb gains of your lifestyle change with the potential that you could reach by following a tried and true method. i'm sure that there are humans somewhere on earth who may be able to see moderate gains on one balls to the wall workout per month. theoretically that is possible. but not the average joe working out on a calf raise machine. its just not happening the way you are trying to tell us it is.

yeah it's a great bit of kit, allows you to lift a lot of weight without so much worry about stability and safety, admittedly i guess the core doesn't have the chance to adapt and provide the stability but i'd much rather have the security.
    There's no assist on it and the weight is directly above the shoulders, so i don't see why you'd have to estimate down .

Like i said i trained this way before, so it's not new to me, i just had a 2 year break of lifting when the wife left me.
    I wasn't primal back then but that should make the situation better not worse, i;m eating better, i'm in better shape to begin with.

I'm not an internet troll trying to BS everyone

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    theoretically speaking, gains can be made with minimal training. yes. but they are minimal gains. minimal strength development. minimal muscular development.
    what would you consider good gains to make over the period of a month then? Out of interest.

I will pop back and post updates as the months pass if you like

what would you consider good gains to make over the period of a month then? Out of interest.

I will pop back and post updates as the months pass if you like
    taken directly from the SS wiki:
    "For young males that weigh between 150-200 lbs., deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs., with continued steady progress for 3-4 weeks before slowing down to half that rate. Bench presses, presses, and cleans can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout, with progress on these exercises slowing down to 2.5-5 lbs. per workout after only 2-3 weeks. Young women make progress on the squat and the deadlift at about the same rate, adjusted for bodyweight, but much slower on the press, the bench press, cleans, and assistance exercises."

and the basic plan is as follows:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Cleans

Workouts A and B alternate on 3 non-consecutive days per week.

so, with some experience with lifting, or someone who is just over a novice, i'd say that would qualify in the "gains coming at half that rate" part. so increasing a squat 10kg per month would be an absolute minimal gain according to Ripp. adding that to the fact that you aren't actually squatting, but using a lever-based machine, the added 10kg per month is only a fraction of that actual 10kg of added plates. truth be told, you're not really making much of a strength gain. i'm guessing that the actual amount of muscle growth is slim to none as well. i hate to be the bearer of bad news

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    This varies from person to person.
    Agreed. I train at lunch time when I am at home and usually at night when I am on the road (which is about 50-60% of the time). I *prefer* training at lunch because I can IF until then, train and then eat like a king for a few hours. Training after IF'ing until 6 or 7 PM is harder and I usually eat lunch that day so I don't get all light headed.

So, I don't think it matters that much. There have been "studies" done that have shown, iirc, 3 hours and 11 hours after waking are the best times for muscle development because of insulin response. However, I think they were done with trainees that were eating 6-8 times per day and following your typical body builder type of diet. But again, that falls into the over thinking it category and most people just need to start lifting and then fuck with all the parameters to dial stuff in. Getting started seems to be the hardest part for most people.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To the OP:

Seriously, don't overthink this. People who say "I'm kinda fat and don't really lift weights, what should I do?" just need to eat clean and lift some weights. Add in some other movement during the week. Done and done. Pick a program and DO IT, since you said in the OP that you just kinda fart around on everything workout related, usually. After several months reevaluate.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast