Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bulk, cut, 4 days, 3 days?? page 3

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Dude - just lift. Find a program you like (try the one Marinas Florin posted) and do it. Keep eating primal and your physique will change. People over think this shit way too much. Once you get to be more advanced (intermediate lifter) then you can start futzing with bulk/cut scenarios and all that.
    I have met way too many guys that fail before they even start because they focus on the minutiae instead of getting off their ass and just doing it. Don't be one of them. You have the tools.
    Along those lines, do you have any opinion as to whether or not it matters when I'm lifting (as in time of day)? I prefer to workout early morning before I go to work. This is fine for cardio, though I can see how it might be detrimental to strength training (stiff muscles, I won't have eaten anything, and I really don't have the opportunity to immediately follow up the workout with a protein shake or similar).

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    Starting strength is an excellent place to well... start. It's an easy to follow linear progression that many people have had success. The link below has everything you need and then some:

FAQ - Starting Strength Wiki
    if you're going to go that route, then starting strength is the way to go
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Cool, thanks guys.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Pick a program and stick with it for a couple of months to see how it works for you.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    Along those lines, do you have any opinion as to whether or not it matters when I'm lifting (as in time of day)? I prefer to workout early morning before I go to work. This is fine for cardio, though I can see how it might be detrimental to strength training (stiff muscles, I won't have eaten anything, and I really don't have the opportunity to immediately follow up the workout with a protein shake or similar).
    This varies from person to person. I prefer working out after work (after cycling home) as it means I can eat a good size meal afterwards and then get a good night's sleep (which is also important). I find that if a workout out in the morning I often don't get enough to eat before or after; consequently I don't have a great workout and I'm tired for the rest of the day. Lunchtime can be good, but I rarely have enough time...

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    what do you do in the meantime? you can't possibly just lift weights once a month, then sit on your ass for the other 30 days. bodyweight exercises? jogging? biking? playing sports?

also, telling us that you increase weights once a month isn't telling us anything really. i could tell you that i deadlifted 135lbs in january, 185 in february, and 225 in march. that doesn't mean a damn thing considering i could 1RM 415. see what i'm saying? how are you truly measuring strength increase? how are you measuring muscle growth?
    well i walk between 2.5 and 6 miles a day, but otherwise no other exercise.

well i'm talking going to failure over 6-10 reps, in your hypothetical scenario you were under lifting to start with.

PrimalRanger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post

well i'm talking going to failure over 6-10 reps, in your hypothetical scenario you were under lifting to start with.
    Talking from experience i strength train for repetition and follow a strict calorie diet. I typically bowflex 3 -4 times a week and run 15-20 miles. I limit myself to mostly protein then fats and carbs(mostly from veggies) and at age 44 have no trouble maintaining 7-9% bodyfat. I strictly follow a workout and nutrition plan with very little deviation. To reiterate what the rest have said in here you have to have a plan and follow it. If you decide to binge drink or eat and periodically exercise then you will only sabotage your efforts.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post

thats what i'm getting at for you. something is different. something is improving (overall health). or you're underlifting. either way, at some point your progress will grind to a halt. as will any discernable muscle growth. one workout per month simply doesn't provide adequate stimulation for anyone over a newb level of fitness
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    ok lets posit a new hypothetical situation:
    in any given week you go to the gym and lift 3 times.

you life XXXlb on day one, what do you do the other two sessions, lift the same again? what for?
    if the body isn't pushed it won't adapt. if it doesn't need to lift anymore that XXXlb it won't grow the muscle. And if you can already lift it on day one, why go back until your body is stronger, which it sure as hell won't be in 2 days rest.

honestly once a month is more than enough, once i hit my peak (given my genetic expression) i will lift the same but much less often, just to maintain tht level of strength. or i could pick any point in between now and then and just hit the gym once every few months

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Greenbeast - looking at the numbers you have posted, the machine you are using is clearly not "just a safety device." If you have done 220kg (even for 1 rep) and assuming you weren't significantly heavier at the time, you would be lifting at a high elite level (for a genuine squat). Now, I'm about 75kg and have leg pressed (decline sled type machine) over 250kg, but would struggle to actually squat much more than half of that (for 1 rep) and these are not big numbers for my weight by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm calling BS on all of this. There is no way that doing pull-downs and what is almost certainly a leg-press variant once a month will result in strength or size gains.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast