Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulk, cut, 4 days, 3 days?? page 2

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by UTfootball747 View Post
    Mostly, I want (to borrow an acronym from Mark's book) to 'LGN.' More definition, flatter stomach, etc. Not concerned with being huge.
    you could stick to a bodyweight program and be consistent with it. or you could hit the weights. its really up to you. do you have access to a gym? a homegym? i started a thread recently about a great site i stumbled across. check out madbarz.com and then click on "ROUTINES" at the top. a few of those routines each week and clean eating with the proper amounts of calories/protein/fat/carbs will have you well on your way to LGN
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    on the 7th of Feb i squat 140kg, on the 7th of march i squat 150kg, i will squat 160kg on the 7th april. so on and so forth, until i max the machine out at 220kg (i know because i've done it before)

i don't ache for the first 48 hours and then it stays for 2-4 days, how can anyone be giving the body enough rest by training 2, 3, 4, 5 times a week??
    If indeed you are being serious, I'm sorry, but this is still terrible advice. The notion of making appreciable gains in terms of either lean muscle mass or strength whilst working out once a month is laughable. If you genuinely manage to do this then you are extremely rare and your advise is all but useless to the OP.

Without knowing your own statistics and the workout you are doing it isn't even possible to determine if you are lifting heavy or not. Also what is the machine? A squat is a free weight exercise...

As for the aches; if you only work out once a month, of course you are going to be sore for a few days! Regular workouts actually decrease the duration and intensity of the aches, although you can obviously experience chronic fatigue of you overtrain.

In response to the OP. It is generally easier to work on strength and or size first, then work on reduced body fat afterwards. As has been said above, this requires a calorific excess. It also requires you to really commit to a proper workout routine. Note that this does not require a huge amount of your time (2 or 3 sessions a week along with as much slow moving as manageable is fine), but does require a huge amount of effort when working out.

The thing is, if you don't eat enough or workout out properly, you will likely achieve very little indeed.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    If indeed you are being serious, I'm sorry, but this is still terrible advice. The notion of making appreciable gains in terms of either lean muscle mass or strength whilst working out once a month is laughable. If you genuinely manage to do this then you are extremely rare and your advise is all but useless to the OP.

Without knowing your own statistics and the workout you are doing it isn't even possible to determine if you are lifting heavy or not. Also what is the machine? A squat is a free weight exercise...

As for the aches; if you only work out once a month, of course you are going to be sore for a few days! Regular workouts actually decrease the duration and intensity of the aches, although you can obviously experience chronic fatigue of you overtrain.
    I am being serious. I train with a friend of mine who is a very well trained guy. He know his stuff. He gets similar results with all of his clients.
    It's laughable only to someone used to conventional wisdom (weight lifting this time instead of eating)

I weigh 10st8lb, 5'9" tall. BF % ~13% (measured)

I only do two exercises, squats and pull downs
    The machine i refer to is merely a safety device. although you have made me curious about what i would lift on completely 'free' weights.

It's not bad advice, but it doesn't bother me if people don't want to follow it, i'm not out to train the world, just myself.
    I just hate to see people waste time in the gym that they don't need to.
    Also someone could hit their targets within a year rather than alwasy striving and never making it, or it taking years of faffing around with light weights (unless that's all you have access to)

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Dude - just lift. Find a program you like (try the one Marinas Florin posted) and do it. Keep eating primal and your physique will change. People over think this shit way too much. Once you get to be more advanced (intermediate lifter) then you can start futzing with bulk/cut scenarios and all that.
    I have met way too many guys that fail before they even start because they focus on the minutiae instead of getting off their ass and just doing it. Don't be one of them. You have the tools.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    I am being serious. I train with a friend of mine who is a very well trained guy. He know his stuff. He gets similar results with all of his clients.
    It's laughable only to someone used to conventional wisdom (weight lifting this time instead of eating)

I weigh 10st8lb, 5'9" tall. BF % ~13% (measured)

I only do two exercises, squats and pull downs
    The machine i refer to is merely a safety device. although you have made me curious about what i would lift on completely 'free' weights.

It's not bad advice, but it doesn't bother me if people don't want to follow it, i'm not out to train the world, just myself.
    I just hate to see people waste time in the gym that they don't need to.
    Also someone could hit their targets within a year rather than alwasy striving and never making it, or it taking years of faffing around with light weights (unless that's all you have access to)
    what do you do in the meantime? you can't possibly just lift weights once a month, then sit on your ass for the other 30 days. bodyweight exercises? jogging? biking? playing sports?

also, telling us that you increase weights once a month isn't telling us anything really. i could tell you that i deadlifted 135lbs in january, 185 in february, and 225 in march. that doesn't mean a damn thing considering i could 1RM 415. see what i'm saying? how are you truly measuring strength increase? how are you measuring muscle growth?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    Dude - just lift. Find a program you like (try the one Marinas Florin posted) and do it. Keep eating primal and your physique will change. People over think this shit way too much. Once you get to be more advanced (intermediate lifter) then you can start futzing with bulk/cut scenarios and all that.
    I have met way too many guys that fail before they even start because they focus on the minutiae instead of getting off their ass and just doing it. Don't be one of them. You have the tools.
    +1

There is no reason to wait to start back with lifting. It won't hinder your fat loss efforts. In fact it will probably help.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    you could stick to a bodyweight program and be consistent with it. or you could hit the weights. its really up to you. do you have access to a gym? a homegym? i started a thread recently about a great site i stumbled across. check out madbarz.com and then click on "ROUTINES" at the top. a few of those routines each week and clean eating with the proper amounts of calories/protein/fat/carbs will have you well on your way to LGN
    I do have access to a gym. While it would be great to do away with that monthly cost, I just find it really difficult to motivate myself unless I'm actually going to the gym every day.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    In response to the OP. It is generally easier to work on strength and or size first, then work on reduced body fat afterwards. As has been said above, this requires a calorific excess. It also requires you to really commit to a proper workout routine. Note that this does not require a huge amount of your time (2 or 3 sessions a week along with as much slow moving as manageable is fine), but does require a huge amount of effort when working out.
    Would you suggest just 'heavy' lifting, or both low & medium number of reps? Full body 2-3 days a week, or split it up? Is it really important to constantly change lifts, or is sticking to the basics best?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to determine if I've been doing anything correctly in the past.

Starting strength is an excellent place to well... start. It's an easy to follow linear progression that many people have had success. The link below has everything you need and then some:

FAQ - Starting Strength Wiki

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast