Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the better butter? page 3

primalpanda is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    During the summer, most places in the US will have Organic Valley Cultured Pasture Butter
    I second this, that is really tasty butter!

Tarlach is offline Member
    Q: What's the best butter?

A: Lard (or according to my wife - marrow fat)
    The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

micki7 is offline Junior Member
    I too am a Kerry Gold fan! It tastes much better (to me) than most other butters I've tried: organic, local, sheep or goat, even raw. Interestingly, of the bunch, I found the raw butter to taste the worst! Kerry Gold is grass fed and naturally yellow (no annatto coloring as in American butters) and along with a little organic heavy cream in my morning coffee, they are the only dairy I use. Turns steamed broccoli into a religious experience!

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    During the summer, most places in the US will have Organic Valley Cultured Pasture Butter

Worth every penny.
    +1, It's all I use! Though it is a bit of a budget breaker if you're a college student. Especially considering the amount I put on my veggies/sweet potatoes.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    I've tried goat's milk butter. It was funky.
    Kinda sweet, but if you don't like the 'goaty' aftertaste you should probably skip it.
    I like butter but I use tallow now and won't look back.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    "European-style" just means cultured, often with a higher butterfat content: Throughout Continental Europe, cultured butter is preferred, while sweet cream butter dominates in the United States and the United Kingdom. Therefore, cultured butter is sometimes labeled European-style butter in the United States.
    Most butter has an 80% butterfat content, but many European-style/European butters have 82-84% buterfat. Higher butterfat makes a big difference in baked goods, so it's prefered by a lot of chefs and bakers. Plugra is an example- almost every chef I know loves to use Plugra. I don't like it because it had "flavor" added and just isn't my favorite tasting. I love Kerrygold unsalted. I also love Lurpak Danish butter.

For those of you looking for Kerrygold, a lot of stores (like Whole Foods) stock it with the cheese instead of with the other butter, for some reason.

trigirl85 is offline Senior Member
    It's all bout finding the best goat butter- Of the two I have tried, Liberte and Meyenburg I vastly prefer Meyenburg- I really don't find it funky at all and good if you are avoiding cow milk dairy. Of course yesterday I made some really great homemade butter with local heavy cream from pasture-fed cows (none this adding skim milk crap that some commercial heavy cream has) and it was delish
    Last edited by trigirl85; 05-06-2010 at 04:00 AM.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member
    If I had access to raw cow milk, I wouldn't be whining about it in this one-lined post >:[

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Does cultured butter taste significantly different? Is it at all like the sour taste of yogurt?

Ry
    Ry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Put me down as another for Kerrygold! I have tried both it and Organic Valley's Pasture Butter and Kerrygold wins by a long shot. It's texture is softer, it tastes creamier and its color is a little more yellow.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast