Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal/Paleo gurus. page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanJoe View Post
    Jesus Christ, what a bunch of pedants. When Sisson et all have sold that many books and are successful with their supplementation range, thus being financially (very) well off, then it's easy for them to shout from the rooftops that we should all be eating (expensive) grass fed/pastured/wild caught meat and fish. Which links it to the question: are they out of touch with reality?
    I've yet to find a primal/paleo blogger that hasn't addressed this issue and written about doing the best you can with what's available to you. Just from memory, I've seen Mark Sisson say it, Robb Wolf has a whole e-book on the issue of doing Paleo on a budget, and I recently came across a paragraph saying the same thing while thumbing through Diane Sanfilipo's book, to name 3 examples off the top of my head.

Of course, there's months when my grocery bills approach my mortgage payment, while a lot of my clothes have holes and I shop at garage sales and dumpster-dive. Your priorities may shift once you realize how valuable your health is. And I don't need Mark Sisson or Chris Kresser to shove the "do what you can" caveat down my throat every time they want to tell me about the health benefits of bone marrow or whatever. They're on record. I read it, I internalized it, I got it. You should do the same.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I've yet to find a primal/paleo blogger that hasn't addressed this issue and written about doing the best you can with what's available to you. Just from memory, I've seen Mark Sisson say it, Robb Wolf has a whole e-book on the issue of doing Paleo on a budget, and I recently came across a paragraph saying the same thing while thumbing through Diane Sanfilipo's book, to name 3 examples off the top of my head.

Your priorities may shift once you realize how valuable your health is.
    this. do a little searching. and then do what you can. you might have to make some tough decisions too...grassfed beef or a $200+ a month cable bill? locally farmed veggies or a $500 a month car payment? pastured pork or an unnecessary cellphone upgrade. i think its shocking how people are caught up with the "keeping up with the jonses" mentallity and how they can get the latest gadget, and they won't prioritize their own health.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Robb wolf himself buys conventionally raised meat from whole foods, and only grass-fed when it goes on sale.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Geez Louise. I understood your post perfectly.

I buy what I can. We'll achieve a healthy hormonal balance much sooner if we eat only organic and grass fed. I am doing neither of those right now, unless something is on sale. I will continue to tweak and fine tune my food as I progress with Primal. I also don't live somewhere where I can go outside and get 15 minutes of sun a day, as Mark Sisson does. So....Mark Sisson doesn't know my situation, only I do. And I do the best I can with my resources.

CavemanJoe is offline Senior Member
    Fair enough, I just haven't come across these articles where they say that it's ok if we don't buy grass fed/pasture raised. I do the best I can, sometimes I'll treat myself to grass fed steak once in a blue moon.

Apologies for snapping as well. Under pressure at the mo with university stuff, more annoyed with myself than anything! Peace.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    My grass fed beef is way cheaper than conventional meat.. I just buy 1/2 cow at a time

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    this. do a little searching. and then do what you can. you might have to make some tough decisions too...grassfed beef or a $200+ a month cable bill? locally farmed veggies or a $500 a month car payment? pastured pork or an unnecessary cellphone upgrade. i think its shocking how people are caught up with the "keeping up with the jonses" mentallity and how they can get the latest gadget, and they won't prioritize their own health.
    I agree, I don't understand how so many people can afford smart phones, cable, new cars and then they complain about the cost of real food.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I agree, I don't understand how so many people can afford smart phones, cable, new cars and then they complain about the cost of real food.
    I sometimes ask people who think eating grass-fed, local food is expensive what they think having heart disease or cancer costs.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf talks about his experience eating paleo on a budget here: The Paleolithic Solution – Episode 6

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    In the defense of the initial sentiment, it does get easy to keep saying "grass fed beef" and "pasture raised pork" when you are more financially comfortable. (Actually I think that we should be eating those animals for humane reasons ahead of the health reasons.) But some of us have already made cutbacks: I drive a 10 year old car (just spent $600 on repairs, but still better than a monthly car payment), I have NO smartphone or e-reader (just a landline and a refurbished desktop) and can't cover the initial expense for a 1/2 or 1/4 beef or pig (or the quantity required for a better price per pound). There's really nothing left to cut out! Oh, and as soon as I think I'm in the clear, one of my dogs/cats needs vet care, or the HVAC breaks down.
    I have read Mark's posts regarding eat what you can afford and 80/20, so I know he's not pressuring us. But I really want to buy grass fed beef and humanely raised pork and chicken. I want to do support this way of farming/ranching not because it's trendy, but because it's the right thing to do! I just don't have the income.
    Don't assume everyone who's following this WAO is "keeping up the Jonses" and has something frivilous to give up... And $200 cable bills? People do that? I was using an antenna till everything went digital - arrggg...
    Last edited by desertcreature; 03-18-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast