Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Microwave page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I’ve heard that the microwave’s radiation alters the molecular composition of the food you are heating and should be avoided. I also remembering hearing not to heat baby food in the microwave because it gets rid of all the nutrients.

What is the general consensus around here about microwave usage?

Arthur

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Arthur check this out

http://tinyurl.com/nvqke7

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

work filter won't let me go to that link... have to check it out at home later...

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

"Abstract:

Several studies have shown that microwave cooking, if properly used, does not change the nutrient content of foods to a larger extent than conventional heating. In fact, suggests that there is a tendency towards greater retention of many micronutrients with microwaving, probably due to the shorter preparation time. Does not describe non-thermal effects. The main problem with microwaving is the uneven heating of the food, which has raised concern regarding microbiological safety. Microwaving infant formula and breast milk has become increasingly popular. The content of nutrients and antibacterial factors in milk are maintained unchanged provided the final temperature does not exceed 60°C. "

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Trinkwasser Guest

My ex had a microwave, I experimented with it and found some things tasted just plain nasty. We largely only used it for heating stuff up, not for cooking.

She got to keep it and I don't miss it at all.

maba is offline Senior Member

"Do not use MW" is in the list of dietary dangers from the WAP Foundation site:

http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnutrition/dietdangers.html

Don't know what to make of it. WAP nutritional advice is sound and very Primal in its approach.

Disclaimer: I use the microwave.

marika Guest

I agree with Trinkwasser, the microwave makes food taste bad and often gives a weird texture too. We never use ours anymore.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Yet another fear for the scientifically challenged.

Don't drink coffee don't drink alcohol.....Yeah, right.

It's too bad when people do good work in one field and then run amok with things like that list. When WAP goes into the political arena for good changes, say in food labeling, and something like that list comes about, the word "nut job" surely enters many people's minds.

Katt is offline Senior Member

When I had a microwave, I only used it for heating up water for tea. We cooked all our food on the stovetop as my husband hated the texture and taste of microwaved food. We have since gotten rid of it and saved counter space.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

normdave is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The way I understand how the microwave was discovered, while doing research on RADAR systems by the military. A worker had a candy bar or some type of food in his pocket. Just thinking with common sense, it can't be good for fresh wholesome food to be cooked that way. The thought of giving a baby breast milk heated this way could give you the shivers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast