Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't like big breakfasts!! But can't fast in the a.m., so... page

denisedb is offline Member

I don't like big breakfasts!! But can't fast in the a.m., so...

Shop Now
    I'm starting a total 30 tomorrow and experimented with having a bigger, higher fat breakfast this weekend. It did, very much, keep me full til almost dinner time. So - aces! - in that way.

But besides that, I didn't like it! I didn't like eating so much in the morning, I felt heavy, and I burped up the taste of the sauteed veggies all day. Blech! I got some great advice on a recent post and one was to try the bigger, fattier breakfast, and to lose my regular smoothie in the a.m. But I really miss my smoothie! I put in olive oil and coconut oil, protein powder, kale and parsley and ice. It's refreshing, light, and I don't burp it up for hours. But it doesn't last me til lunch many days, admittedly. But is that so bad? I know the idea is to have less frequent meals that are higher nutrient and fat, but I just don't like to eat so much in the morning! If I try to fast in the morning, I get shaky, so for now I do have to eat something. Anyone else experience this?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE breakfast, usually two eggs with veges and sometimes bacon. But lately I find I'm not ready for it first thing. So it gets delayed, sometimes till mid morning, or even occasionally till lunchtime.

Maybe you overdid it by changing from a light smoothie to a huge meal. You could aim for something in between.

I dont' really understand why you are changing though - surely a whole 30 doesn't mean fewer meals? Just to eat strictly primal? Or that's what I thought, anyway.

I thought the whole 30 meant only 'real' foods -- no protein powder...?

A mid-sized breakfast is a good idea, I just don't really dig the cooked veggies in the a.m.
    Last edited by denisedb; 03-17-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denisedb View Post
    If I try to fast in the morning, I get shaky, so for now I do have to eat something. Anyone else experience this?
    My guess is your body still needs more time to lubricate and tune up the gluconeogenesis process and the shaky (maybe even slight nausea) is probably mild hypoglycaemia, fasting is primal, but being primal does not require fasting, I'd let the fasting go for the time being and down the track you'll probably find you will just fall into it without even realising.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    So, don't eat breakfast. Or have a small breakfast, and a larger meal later. No bigs.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Bring your breakfast to work and eat it later when you are more awake and hungry. Don't eat veggies that make your burp. Skip the veggies completely and eat them at dinner. Experiment.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    No need to eat a big breakfast! You can still make a smoothie - just leave out the protein powder. Or try a 2 hard-boiled eggs and a handful of nuts. That's light! You'll have plenty of chances later in the day to fit in the vegetables.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    One component of the primal lifestyle I think a lot of people overlook is that it should be based on doing what feels right to you. Grok wouldn't eat a big breakfast if he didn't feel like eating a big breakfast. There's no harm in eating a smaller breakfast and eating again at lunchtime if that suits your body better. For the past month or two, I've had a sweet potato cooked in coconut oil and a cup of green tea with lemon for breakfast every day. No, it doesn't keep me full 'til dinner, but it keeps me full 'til lunch, and I'm not above snacking--a piece of fruit, a handful of nuts, there's nothing wrong with that. What works for me might not work for you. You should do what feels right to you. It sounds like you aren't a big-breakfast type; I'm not either, and there's no reason you should force yourself to become one if it doesn't feel natural to you.

Thanks, everyone. So, just to verify: no Primal Fuel in my smoothie for breakfast during the whole 30?

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Funny that, on my computer, your post shows up with an ad for Primal Fuel. I'd say, since it's not from the ground, it doesn't belong in your Whole 30.

Edit: now my post shows up with an ad for it! ha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast