Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly cheat days. page

bdilla is offline Senior Member

Weekly cheat days.

I'd like to gather some opinions regarding this matter.

I've heard prominent individuals in the health science field say that this is actually beneficial for fat loss... resulting in more fat loss than would occur without the cheat days (due to leptin production).

What is the general consensus about this? I've been doing the weekly cheat days for a couple months now, although the past month it's been about once every two or three weeks. I told myself I wouldn't do another one until 4/20, and I may just be weak willed, but I'd really like to have one today.

So... yeah.

The end.

Halp.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

Sefton is offline Member
    I had one today. Just finished.

Whilst at the grocery I bought some "gluten free etc. organic chocolate chip cookie dough" frozen dough. Dolled out 6, baked for 16 minutes and wolfed them down with whole milk. Great! Now, I have will control to hold off on the rest of the mix till at least Friday. Will see. hmmmm

Other once a week diversions for me involve Three Twins brand ice cream.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I don't feel any need to cheat on Primal, to be honest. I like the food, and now that I'm not eating sugar or flour it seems cravings for crap are gone. So cheating isn't an option. What do you feel like eating? Maybe just eat it? Or try to figure out why you want it. In either case, don't beat yourself up over it.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what you call a cheat day. Is it a day where you aren't adhering to primal principles like eating Pizza? Because if so, my answer is no, I don't take cheat days. But I do have 'gorging days' where I deliberately eat lunch and puddings etc (which I normally skip) to have a calorie excess.

It helps, not because of the cheat days themselves, but because it sends the 'getting enough food' signal to the body, so that you can continue to lose weight on your 'normal' days.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

MorganGirl is offline Member
    I've never understood cheat days. You either eat a certain way or you don't. Now, if I'm at a wedding or social function I may have a small bite of cake or dessert...but a whole day? The thought actually makes me feel queasy!

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MorganGirl View Post
    I've never understood cheat days. You either eat a certain way or you don't. Now, if I'm at a wedding or social function I may have a small bite of cake or dessert...but a whole day? The thought actually makes me feel queasy!
    +1

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    If you have heard that it is beneficial for fat loss...how is that working?

Cheating to me means eating dark chocolate, drinking red wine, and eating extra bacon. Actually the concept of cheating is not even on my radar anymore. Eating chocolate is simply eating some food that I might not really need.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If you don't want or need them, don't do them.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

TCates190 is offline Senior Member
    I usually have a "cheat day" when I go out somewhere with friends. Why? I'm 20, and living life. I'd say out of every meal in a week 2 aren't primal.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First, I don't believe in "cheat" days because it doesn't make any sense in terms of health/well being. Emotionally, nothing is off the table for me. I can eat whatever I want. I choose to eat primal -- which means indulging in that "20% someimtes" -- and that 20% includes the nights I stay up late watching movies with DH.

Second, in general, I think it's perfectly fine to do a carb cycle day or a high calorie day. It usually results in a fast the next day anyway, and there are benefits to Alternate Day Fasting. I tend to think that these are probably the real reasons and "benefits" of cheat days -- the benefits of either carb cycling or alternate day fasting (or fasting in general).

But, that can be done with all primal foods -- thus not making it a "cheat" at all -- or it can include part of that 20%, which technically still isn't a cheat becuase you can't really cheat on primal if that exists, now can you?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast