Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weekly cheat days. page 3

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    That's absurd. 3 beers is nowhere near the 10k+ calories it takes to cause that much weight gain. It's water weight or natural body fluctuations. I had a terrible moment and ate half a box of cereal among other things and I didn't even gain a pound.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    That's absurd. 3 beers is nowhere near the 10k+ calories it takes to cause that much weight gain. It's water weight or natural body fluctuations. I had a terrible moment and ate half a box of cereal among other things and I didn't even gain a pound.
    lol... you don't pull any punches do ya? Gotta love brutal honesty... there is so little honesty in the world today....

I know it wasn't fat that I gained on either occasion but nonetheless it take about 1 to 2 weeks to lose the 2 to 4 lbs i gain on a carby cheat day. Honestly I'm not sure what is going on in my body.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    For those who have been primal for a while, occasional cheating probably doesn't do much harm. If it takes weeks of Primal to adapt from sugar-burner to fat-burner, I guess it would takes weeks of SAD cheating to re-adapt back to sugar-burner.

But I don't like the idea of a "scheduled" cheat, because that would give too much leeway to the newbies. Just when they've used up their glycogen and are getting ready to adapt to fat-burner, you allow them to stuff up with beer and pizza?!? Horrible idea. Newbies need to be really strict.

Look, cheat happens, I know that. But it should NEVER be a scheduled appointment. We should feel guilty about it, ya know?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Millersoontobelite is offline Senior Member
    This is my lifestyle, and incorporated into that is an occasional bad day. Once a month, maybe once every six weeks. I dont plan it, isnt part of my schedule. it just happens. I have found that if i hit a wall, a bad meal helps jumpstart my motivation and reminds me of how i feel when i dont eat right.

about two or three months ago someone that had lost a good deal of weight on another diet told me LIVE MY LIFE. I dont let eating primal get in the way of my happiness and enjoy events. For example, i like to get a drink now and then. a few weeks ago my friends and i went to the Outer Banks for a weekend. I drank beer, had a few chips and when drunk, ate pizza. did i feel guilty? maybe a little but i dont regret it. i didnt plan on eating bad, but i allow myself to indulge in life once and a while. If i didnt drink with my friends would i have wound up in a hot tub with two young topless women enjoying the sunrise? probably not. thank you beer.
    SW 333 PBSW 308 CW 254

79 pounds down 54 pounds from primal

janie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foodiegoneprimal View Post
    Unfortunately I can't get away with cheating 3 good microbrew stout beers on saturday left me 2lbs heavier. Last month it was 4 gin and tonics that caused a 3lb gain and took two weeks to come back off.
    I just want to say that your experience isn't all that unusual. I know many people for whom it is true, myself included. I don't know the reason either but it isn't simply a case of CICO for many, many of us. Only the young and naturally lean have the opposite experience and think it is true for us all.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foodiegoneprimal View Post
    I know it wasn't fat that I gained on either occasion but nonetheless it take about 1 to 2 weeks to lose the 2 to 4 lbs i gain on a carby cheat day. Honestly I'm not sure what is going on in my body.
    Do a proteinfast for a day with full body depletion workout followed by an hour of Sauna and you will lose it again within 24 hour! I can easily lose 12 lbs of waterweight from one day to the next by doing so...

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I think if you are trying to lose fat, and are on a daily lower-than-maintenance calorie regimen, then a cheat day every 7-10 days of eating over-maintenance calorie levels is probably a good thing. There are also some that recommend that after being on calorie restriction for a few months, that a couple weeks of higher calorie eating can promote fat loss. It's really a hormonal thing, and probably works for many. However, I thing it's still a good idea to do this by eating foods we know are good for us. There are a lot of primal/paleo treats such as fruits, nuts and so on that should satisfy any craving.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janie View Post
    Only the young and naturally lean have the opposite experience and think it is true for us all.
    I'm not sure age has anything to do with it. I am old and was fat and eating SAD almost my whole adult life. And yet, a few drinks is a sure-fire way for me to drop a pound overnight. The less primal, the drinks are, the better they seem to "work". I'm pretty sure it's dehydration though, so I'm not going to recommend it for fat loss, lol.

My "cheating" is never planned. It's always an "oh, what the hell" kind of thing. And I never feel guilty, even if what I've eaten or drank has made me feel gross. I am done with letting food make me feel bad about myself.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Yes, you can have "cheat days" but everything needs to be done in moderation without going over the edge!

I mean, for every 1-2 weeks of proper training, one day of the weekend can be used as a cheat day in which you can eat an additional pizza or something you crave for.

This will help on a psychological level by making yourself staying longer on the diet and also on a physiological level by helping you get pass fat loss plateaus (we all get them).
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast