Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stevia with fillers page 2

justenblake is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am new to the whole Paleo thing, but have a bottle of the SweetLeaf Vanilla Creme sitting here and figured i would list what is on the label.

Purified Water
    Organic Stevia leaf Extract
    Natural Flavors
    Vanilla extract

I am at work and have no idea what the other flavors have or do not have in them, maybe some do and dont have the natural flavors?

I can not add anything as to the "whole 30" thing as I have no idea what that is about.
    I got rid of using sugar and replaced it with Stevia from my HCG days, I have tons of bottles sitting around
    and have been using them since I started the Paleo thing recently. I lost weight on the HCG and I am loosing weight
    with the stevia with the paleo lifestyle, and I use lots of the liquid stuff.

What that natural flavor is in the sweetleaf stevia I am not sure, but the nutritionist that I did HCG through warned
    against the truvia stuff and a few of the other brands and recommended the sweetleaf, so I followed her advice.

I also have the powder packs by wisdom natural sweetleaf but don't care for them as much as the liquid.
    It can be expensive so I get lots of it when vitacost has a good sale, down towards like 7 bucks a bottle.

I love stevia - I make soda at home using the vanilla and root beer or the grape as a nice treat here and there.
    I use it or honey to help drown out the taste of spirulina.

I am new to Paleo still reading so how this fits into Paleo I do not know - I figured I would just post a response and hopefully add some value.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I'm cool with Sweet Leaf so far, they seem to be on the side of producing stevia products with as little adulteration as possible. I use their flavored drops, and have not had any effects (whereas I do notice when MSG is masked under another name). Just stay away from Truvia, etc. as they are chemically isolated from the plant (rather than a whole extract) and taste like crap anyway.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I just feel like by using stevia you're missing the point, you're not letting your taste buds adjust to life without shit-tons of sugary taste, you're kind of hindering your own progress in a way. Natural Flavors is a code name for loads of gross things, oftentimes MSG which will totally mess with your taste buds/brain/appetite pathways... I guess looking back it took me awhile to wean off the sugar sweetened beverages, went from giving up pop in Jan '11 to finally letting go of the lemonades/"vitamin water" around March or April and just drinking water, I still put sugar in my coffee back then, now I don't drink any coffee (it makes me thirsty and jumpy and heightens my anxiety, I drink green tea in the mornings now and I do just fine)... I guess if the stevia helps you wean, then it serves its purpose, but let's not try to act like it's healthy. Truvia, Sweetleaf, it's all mass-produced processed garbage, so un-Grok-ly. So if the stevia soda helps you stop drinking Coke, that's good, but it might be hindering your cleansing of your body, it's still loaded up with chemicals ("natural flavors") to make you like the way it tastes and keep spending your money on it... only once you cut all the added sweeteners will your taste buds learn to detect sugar normally. To someone who drinks pop regularly, an apple barely tastes sweet at all. To me (it has been maybe 1.5 years since I had a sugar sweetened drink) an apple is verging on too sweet to eat all at once. Point is, you don't need stevia in your diet. You don't need any sweeteners. You'll be better off if, instead of kidding yourself that stevia is good for you, you find ways to satisfy your sweet tooth with things from the ground.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12