Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting link about initial weight loss on 'diets'

Hybrid View

Interesting link about initial weight loss on 'diets'

Just sharing an interesting link about why all diets seem to provide miraculous weight loss at first, and then plateau. Not really so suprising, we all know that the initial kilos lost on a low carb diet is water-weight, but I thought this article summarised some of the not so commonly quoted reasons quite well also.

The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing the views of the author, no idea what sort of diet or lifestyle he is pushing, I just thought that it was an interesting article to read - especially since lots of people tend to post about 'initial' success with weight loss, and then complete stalling.

Interesting take from "Mr Fibre Menace",
    Sounds about right with regard to the weight loss story, people should focus more heavily on health & fitness goals rather than weight loss.
    On a seperate note, regarding his work "Fibre Menace" I think he has a lot of of good info, but without enough detail gives people the wrong impression regarding fibre, in a healthy individual natural fibre is fine & healthy, but in individuals with GI issues fibre can truly be a Menace.

Omni,

Thank you for your kind words about my work. Regretfully, your comment about me not providing sufficient details about fiber is incorrect. My book opens with the following statement:

"If you consume minor quantities of fiber from natural, unprocessed food, there isn‘t anything wrong with it, because (a) small amounts of natural fiber (which is mostly soluble) will not obstruct your intestines or cause diarrhea, (b) most of it will get fermented in the large intestine, and (c) the remainder will not bulk up the volume of stool high enough to cause any damage from “roughage.” But that‘s not what most Americans do or are urged to do..."

You can read the reminder of this chapter here: Fiber Menace: Excerpts from the book.

I make it absolutely clear there and elsewhere that my beef is squarely with fiber laxatives and processed foods, such as bread, pasta, and morning cereals fortified with bran (fiber).

And, as you correctly noted, my book is addressed primarily to people affected by colorectal disorders. This is quite clear from the title of my book:

"Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer."

Thank you again,

Konstantin Monastyrsky, the author of Fiber Menace and GutSense.org

Konstantin Monastyrsky, I am looking forward to reading the rest your series of posts following on from the initial weight loss one I linked to above!

Konstantin-

After being morbidly obese my entire life, I lost close to 200 lbs and have been maintaining my loss for just about 2 years. I've been amazed at how challenging it's been to maintain.

I read your first article (referenced above), and it's one of the most intelligent comments on weight loss that I've ever read!

Please link us to subsequent installments here. I want to read the rest!

otzi Guest
    I hope everybody clicks the link in the first post and follows this discussion! Here's a comment/answer from the article--I like this guy!

Alexandros Agelastos via Facebook March 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

the real reason is because people keep on eating eggs dairy and meat, and because their meals contain more than 20% fat and more than 20% protein. Eating plant/starch Carbs does not make people gain weight, i’ve lost 20 pounds by eating more than 3000 and 4000 calories a day. Mostly Carbs, a little bit of fat and only plant based protein. Legumes, Starches, gluten free grains, fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables… Not only you lose weight, but you regain your health and peace of mind.

Konstantin Monastyrsky March 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

Alexandros,

You must be a miracle of nature, and I envy your physiology. Perhaps, you should consider writing your own weight loss book, and teach the “village idiots” like me how to eat 3000 to 4000 calories daily without gaining any weight.

kmonastyrsky

Thank you so much for your books. Not only do I recommend them, I think they have helped in saving my life, as has Mark Sisson and the members of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Omni,

Thank you for your kind words about my work. Regretfully, your comment about me not providing sufficient details about fiber is incorrect. My book opens with the following statement:

"If you consume minor quantities of fiber from natural, unprocessed food, there isn‘t anything wrong with it, because (a) small amounts of natural fiber (which is mostly soluble) will not obstruct your intestines or cause diarrhea, (b) most of it will get fermented in the large intestine, and (c) the remainder will not bulk up the volume of stool high enough to cause any damage from “roughage.” But that‘s not what most Americans do or are urged to do..."

You can read the reminder of this chapter here: Fiber Menace: Excerpts from the book.

I make it absolutely clear there and elsewhere that my beef is squarely with fiber laxatives and processed foods, such as bread, pasta, and morning cereals fortified with bran (fiber).

And, as you correctly noted, my book is addressed primarily to people affected by colorectal disorders. This is quite clear from the title of my book:

"Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer."

Thank you again,

Konstantin Monastyrsky, the author of Fiber Menace and GutSense.org
    Thanks for your response and a warm welcome to you.

I haven't read your book, instead my comments were based on members responses who had read your book and they seemed to have an exaggerated fear of fibre and in addition I did visit your site a while ago and read through a variety of pages and other links that you had written, it may well be the context and although I could see where your underlying message was coming from, the feelings I got from it were an indiscriminate prejudice against dietary fibre. So possibly to more often address the distinction of healthy whole food fibre vs added fibre and suppliments may help readers stay on track with the core message.

I will go and have another look at your link just to refresh myself, and just to repeat:

I think your message is very important and everyone should take it on board and understand how fibre can be healthy, but in some instances where there are potential GI issues, then it can become an unmitigated disaster and create a major problem where there was only a minor one to begin with. Your work added significantly to my health knowledge and inspired me to look deeper at the GI/Fibre/Microbiota story in relation to maintaining good health and has reversed my outlook about using fibre suppliments to maintain GI health.

Hope you will pop in from time to time, good luck with it.

Omni,

Thank you so much about your kind words about my work. It's unfortunate that so many comments on this subject are concentrating on my persona, what I look like, and so on, as if it is a beauty pageant or popularity contest.

Fiber Menace is a specialized book that deals with a narrow subject. It is non-dogmatic, and completely based on mainstream academic research. There isn't anything there that belongs to "Konstantin Monastyrsky." I am a reporter, not a scientist. I report on information that is in the open and from the bluest-of-the-bluest (chip) sources.

I am guessing people who are concentrating on the messenger instead of the message are causing a huge disservice to their own health, and the degree of prejudice and hostility to a complete stranger is hard to comprehend.

So, I hope, other people on this forum, will see your point, will try to understand my point (which is, incidentally, endorsed by Mark in one of his essays), and concentrate on loving their guts rather than hating mine.
    Last edited by kmonastyrsky; 03-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Omni,

Thank you so much about your kind words about my work. It's unfortunate that so many comments on this subject are concentrating on my persona, what I look like, and so on, as if it is a beauty pageant or popularity contest.

Fiber Menace is a specialized book that deals with a narrow subject. It is non-dogmatic, and completely based on mainstream academic research. There isn't anything there that belongs to "Konstantin Monastyrsky." I am a reporter, not a scientist. I report on information that is in the open and from the bluest-of-the-bluest (chip) sources.

I am guessing people who are concentrating on the messenger instead of the message are causing a huge disservice to their own health, and the degree of prejudice and hostility to a complete stranger is hard to comprehend.

So, I hope, other people on this forum, will see your point, will try to understand my point (which is, incidentally, endorsed by Mark in one of his essays), and concentrate on loving their guts rather than hating mine.
    It's all good--we like to beat up everybody around here. You should see how we treat Danny Roddy!

Anyway, I'm following your new series, but I think you will get a lot grief from many following your advice. CICO doesn't seem to work for a lot of people, even though it worked for you.

We often see people speaking authoritatively for everyone based on their own experience, but we are giving you a chance as you are only up to part2 of a long series.