Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting link about initial weight loss on 'diets' page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

Interesting link about initial weight loss on 'diets'

Shop Now
    Just sharing an interesting link about why all diets seem to provide miraculous weight loss at first, and then plateau. Not really so suprising, we all know that the initial kilos lost on a low carb diet is water-weight, but I thought this article summarised some of the not so commonly quoted reasons quite well also.

The Real Reason Diets Fail and What You Can Do About It

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing the views of the author, no idea what sort of diet or lifestyle he is pushing, I just thought that it was an interesting article to read - especially since lots of people tend to post about 'initial' success with weight loss, and then complete stalling.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Interesting take from "Mr Fibre Menace",
    Sounds about right with regard to the weight loss story, people should focus more heavily on health & fitness goals rather than weight loss.
    On a seperate note, regarding his work "Fibre Menace" I think he has a lot of of good info, but without enough detail gives people the wrong impression regarding fibre, in a healthy individual natural fibre is fine & healthy, but in individuals with GI issues fibre can truly be a Menace.

kmonastyrsky is offline Junior Member
    Omni,

Thank you for your kind words about my work. Regretfully, your comment about me not providing sufficient details about fiber is incorrect. My book opens with the following statement:

"If you consume minor quantities of fiber from natural, unprocessed food, there isn‘t anything wrong with it, because (a) small amounts of natural fiber (which is mostly soluble) will not obstruct your intestines or cause diarrhea, (b) most of it will get fermented in the large intestine, and (c) the remainder will not bulk up the volume of stool high enough to cause any damage from “roughage.” But that‘s not what most Americans do or are urged to do..."

You can read the reminder of this chapter here: Fiber Menace: Excerpts from the book.

I make it absolutely clear there and elsewhere that my beef is squarely with fiber laxatives and processed foods, such as bread, pasta, and morning cereals fortified with bran (fiber).

And, as you correctly noted, my book is addressed primarily to people affected by colorectal disorders. This is quite clear from the title of my book:

"Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer."

Thank you again,

Konstantin Monastyrsky, the author of Fiber Menace and GutSense.org

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Konstantin Monastyrsky, I am looking forward to reading the rest your series of posts following on from the initial weight loss one I linked to above!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Konstantin-

After being morbidly obese my entire life, I lost close to 200 lbs and have been maintaining my loss for just about 2 years. I've been amazed at how challenging it's been to maintain.

I read your first article (referenced above), and it's one of the most intelligent comments on weight loss that I've ever read!

Please link us to subsequent installments here. I want to read the rest!

otzi Guest
    Konstantin Monastyrsky -

Awesome that you dropped by. What is your take on Resistant Starch? It's kind of like fiber, but not really.

otzi Guest
    I hope everybody clicks the link in the first post and follows this discussion! Here's a comment/answer from the article--I like this guy!

Alexandros Agelastos via Facebook March 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

the real reason is because people keep on eating eggs dairy and meat, and because their meals contain more than 20% fat and more than 20% protein. Eating plant/starch Carbs does not make people gain weight, i’ve lost 20 pounds by eating more than 3000 and 4000 calories a day. Mostly Carbs, a little bit of fat and only plant based protein. Legumes, Starches, gluten free grains, fruits, nuts, seeds and vegetables… Not only you lose weight, but you regain your health and peace of mind.

Konstantin Monastyrsky March 15, 2013 at 11:09 am

Alexandros,

You must be a miracle of nature, and I envy your physiology. Perhaps, you should consider writing your own weight loss book, and teach the “village idiots” like me how to eat 3000 to 4000 calories daily without gaining any weight.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Very informative article from Konstantin Monastyrsky - great stuff!

otzi Guest
    I'm trying to decide if I like this guy or not. He is seeming to put off a wanna-be guru vibe to me. Read this comment/answer and tell me what you think...is it going to be worth following his wisdom?

Lisa March 17, 2013 at 9:11 am

I’m very interested in this next round of posts. Why is it that all of these presumably healthy eaters and exercisers (like me) are still overweight? I completely overhauled my eating, went from no exercise to daily workouts, expend more than I take in – I’m 45 and the scale hasn’t budged after 2months. Not even phantom weight loss. I’m not on a diet, I’m on a lifestyle change. Yes, I feel better. But I’ve fought the weight battle my whole life and I want to SEE my body change. So I’m looking forward to some answers. I’m very discouraged at this point. I feel like no one knows what they’re talking about and we have to accept that what we are is what we are……

Konstantin Monastyrsky March 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Lisa,

The answer to this question is very simple — you consume more nutrients than your body can utilize for energy and structural metabolism. THERE ARE NO OTHER CAUSES, period, except in people with pronounced edema (water retention). For people, whose bodies are very efficient, a near-permanent reduced calorie diet is the only way to break out from this logjam. And, yes, I will address this phenomenon in the future post in much greater detail.

I know this quite well from the first hand experience — my body happens to be incredibly efficient because I am a compact man (5’7″) with a low-impact lifestyle, minimal expectations (this keeps my emotions in check), and a “meditative” intellect — I only work well in a primarily semi-conscious, almost sleepy/dreamy state.

The last two factors — emotional states and intellectual activities — are huge consumers of energy. This explains why so many active scientists are usually normal-weight despite their often prodigious diet.

Back to my body: I live on two small meals a day, usually under 1,500 calories, and that’s the only way I can keep my weight under control. If I need to lose weight, I have to go down to 1100-1200 calories for a considerable stretch of time.

Now, back to your dilemma: women’s bodies, particularly close to menopause, are even more efficient than men’s, and this is particularly pronounced in women who aren’t tall. The taller you, the easier it is to lose weight, and, vice-versa — the shorter you are, you gain the fastest, and lose — the hardest.

But eating so little and for a long period of time is easier said than done because all very low calorie diet comes with a list of 30 to 40 challenges and side effects that I will tackle one by one in the future posts.

So, please stay tuned!

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    I stopped reading after saw this: "Reaching a weight loss plateau simply means that you have lost only phantom weight, but have not lost and won’t lose any body fat."

This doesn't make any sense plus the fact that the article is pretty much non informative (I mean real information).

Plateau when losing fat NOT weight occurs only when the person doesn't know exactly what to do in order to get over it.
    Possible solutions: diet break, lowering caloric intake even greater, etc.

Plenty of solutions
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast