Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting link about initial weight loss on 'diets' page 2

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    He says at the end of the article:

"I’ll be working on the next post (due on Friday), and may not be able to answer additional questions. I look forward to resuming our conversation after the next post “How To Determine Your Rate of Fat Loss and The Duration of Your Diet.”

I realize that this subject may make a lot of people upset after realizing just how long it takes to lose weight even under the best of circumstances. On the other hand, gradual, deliberate and consistent weight loss is best because:

(a) A slow rate of weight loss allows your skin to shrink gradually and this prevents wrinkles;

(b) You are less likely to get derailed by the most common side effects typical for all weight loss diets (a deliberate semi-starvation);

(c) It is so much easier to stick with your weight loss protocol when your expectations are in check.

While waiting for the next post, please read Get Your Fats Straight. The more you know about the metabolism of dietary fat, the easier it is to lose your own.

See you soon,

Konstantin"
    Looks like he's building up a weightloss plan. Could be interesting.

Timthetaco Guest
    Here's my problem... every weight loss trial I've ever looked at quantitatively measures fat and lean tissue loss. I don't know how accurate the systems of measurement are, but for him to claim that two weeks worth of weight loss can be comprised of essentially zero fat is completely wrong. If you're eating less food, the energy has to come from somewhere.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 03-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I like this guy or not. He is seeming to put off a wanna-be guru vibe to me. Read this comment/answer and tell me what you think...is it going to be worth following his wisdom?
    Well, anybody selling a book or promoting their ideas tend to take on that authoritative tone. It turns me off, but I think that the vast majority of people actually have the opposite response. People wanna be led I suppose. It's part of the problem I have with posters here sometimes when they use their "big voice" when spouting obvious opinion rather than agreed upon facts.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Here's my problem... every weight loss trial I've ever looked at quantitatively measures fat and lean tissue loss. I don't know how accurate the systems of measurement are, but for him to claim that two weeks worth of weight loss can be comprised of essentially zero fat is completely wrong. If you're eating less food, the energy has to come from somewhere.
    True. I am not sure if he meant it so absolutely, probably more to demonstrate the point that in the beginning of a diet it is mostly water and less stomach and bowel content that make up for most of the loss of weight. In the beginning of a diet the body will get it's energy to cover the deficit from free fatty acids and glycogen but then it must tap into the fat reserves of course, but for the first two weeks on a typical low carb diet, I guess that less than 10 % of the weightloss comes from stored body fat.

I found his article interesting and thought provoking though, even if he may be wrong or inaccurate in some of the details...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Those types of articles usually are never followed up on. Never deliver the big answer. No big reveal. That or I never find them again to find out what the big reveal was. I suppose someday if he makes a whole website or writes a whole book I'll be interested. But I highly doubt there will be any new information there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    kmonastyrsky

Thank you so much for your books. Not only do I recommend them, I think they have helped in saving my life, as has Mark Sisson and the members of this forum.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmonastyrsky View Post
    Omni,

Thank you for your kind words about my work. Regretfully, your comment about me not providing sufficient details about fiber is incorrect. My book opens with the following statement:

"If you consume minor quantities of fiber from natural, unprocessed food, there isn‘t anything wrong with it, because (a) small amounts of natural fiber (which is mostly soluble) will not obstruct your intestines or cause diarrhea, (b) most of it will get fermented in the large intestine, and (c) the remainder will not bulk up the volume of stool high enough to cause any damage from “roughage.” But that‘s not what most Americans do or are urged to do..."

You can read the reminder of this chapter here: Fiber Menace: Excerpts from the book.

I make it absolutely clear there and elsewhere that my beef is squarely with fiber laxatives and processed foods, such as bread, pasta, and morning cereals fortified with bran (fiber).

And, as you correctly noted, my book is addressed primarily to people affected by colorectal disorders. This is quite clear from the title of my book:

"Fiber Menace: The Truth About the Leading Role of Fiber in Diet Failure, Constipation, Hemorrhoids, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Colon Cancer."

Thank you again,

Konstantin Monastyrsky, the author of Fiber Menace and GutSense.org
    Thanks for your response and a warm welcome to you.

I haven't read your book, instead my comments were based on members responses who had read your book and they seemed to have an exaggerated fear of fibre and in addition I did visit your site a while ago and read through a variety of pages and other links that you had written, it may well be the context and although I could see where your underlying message was coming from, the feelings I got from it were an indiscriminate prejudice against dietary fibre. So possibly to more often address the distinction of healthy whole food fibre vs added fibre and suppliments may help readers stay on track with the core message.

I will go and have another look at your link just to refresh myself, and just to repeat:

I think your message is very important and everyone should take it on board and understand how fibre can be healthy, but in some instances where there are potential GI issues, then it can become an unmitigated disaster and create a major problem where there was only a minor one to begin with. Your work added significantly to my health knowledge and inspired me to look deeper at the GI/Fibre/Microbiota story in relation to maintaining good health and has reversed my outlook about using fibre suppliments to maintain GI health.

Hope you will pop in from time to time, good luck with it.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I like this guy or not. He is seeming to put off a wanna-be guru vibe to me. Read this comment/answer and tell me what you think...is it going to be worth following his wisdom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well, anybody selling a book or promoting their ideas tend to take on that authoritative tone. It turns me off, but I think that the vast majority of people actually have the opposite response. People wanna be led I suppose. It's part of the problem I have with posters here sometimes when they use their "big voice" when spouting obvious opinion rather than agreed upon facts.
    They come in all shapes and sizes, in some ways I actually like the more abrasive ones than the smooth ones, the challenge is to look over their persona and try to decipher the message, I don't have to like the person to take on board good information, and most of the time it's just a lead for me and then I look elswhere for corroborating evidence.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    He reminds me of the villain from Raiders of the Lost Ark, lol. Watch his video on stool analysis.

http://www.gutsense.org/

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another article from Konstantin Monastyrsky; On how long it take to lose the weight:

How to Determine the True Duration of Your Weight Loss Diet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast