Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Sleep Positions. page

tzulogic is offline Member

Primal Sleep Positions.

Primal Fuel
    Just curious about this. I imagine that in the good old old days, Grok and Grokkina musta bundled up in some animal furs on the ground. I threw my bed out a few months ago and have been sleeping on the floor (this was before I discovered Primal) because it was hurting my back and making me stiff. I love the floor because I don't feel hemmed in. I can stretch out big.

More specifically, do you think its healthiest to sleep on the back, or on the side?
    Hammock?
    Bed?
    Futon?
    Mat?

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    However you feel comfortable.

I sleep in a bed because student lets are furnished, but I'd love to just have a futon or some rugs (for space and for comfort and for health).

Also, as a side-note: you know how awkward it is when you want your arm under the pillow, but your head feels too high? Or have you had your arm go numb under you or under the pillow, because the padding made you forget how much pressure was on the arm and you wake up with a painful elbow and numbness from there down? They've even made a pillow with an arm-hole, so your head can be pillow-height and your arm can be under it... Hasn't anyone else realized that maybe, just maybe, a PILLOW isn't supposed to go there, but your ARM is?
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

tzulogic is offline Member
    Interesting Signature.

Yes, yes, I wonder about that all the time. I have neck problems, so I use a reallly thin pillow. I wonder if my biceps will make good pillows themselves when the grow a bit.
    I also wonder if we should just sleep on our backs? That's the tradition in say..Japan, and generally their faces seem more symmetrical, (though more flat.) I've noticed that Americanized Asians actually look more...American. Or maybe I'm delusional, but their heads actually seem narrower here.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tzulogic View Post
    Just curious about this. I imagine that in the good old old days, Grok and Grokkina musta bundled up in some animal furs on the ground. I threw my bed out a few months ago and have been sleeping on the floor (this was before I discovered Primal) because it was hurting my back and making me stiff. I love the floor because I don't feel hemmed in. I can stretch out big.

More specifically, do you think its healthiest to sleep on the back, or on the side?
    Hammock?
    Bed?
    Futon?
    Mat?
    I cut a piece out of a memory foam mattress topper that fits in my pantry under the stairs. It's pitch black in there, and I have about 3-4" of memory foam on top of (fake) hardwood floors. I haven't slept as deeply since I was a teenager.

jujeki is offline Member
    I usually sleep on my back on the bed in my dorm, but I've never used pillows comfortably before, so I don't have one at school. I think Mark posted something about sleeping positions with inspiration from his dog stretching out everywhere to fall asleep. I've definitely noticed that stretching my body out helps me fall asleep, no matter the position. I plan on getting some mats and sleeping on the ground when I move out of the dormitories (best sleep I ever got was when my cousin visited and stayed in my room for a year so I slept on the floor).

Nanci is offline Member
    My bed is out of control! I have pretty bad arthritis, and have a hard time staying asleep on a hard surface. So I have a soft-side waterbed, with a pillowtop mattress, with a down mattress pad, with a 4" memory foam topper, with a 4" featherbed, and seven pillows that I use, and two that I don't. I sleep on my side, and roll over once or twice a night.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    The most comfortable sleep I've gotten since, say, the age of four, was in a sleeping bag. I have a bed in my dorm room and don't have the space to really make myself comfortable on the floor. But sure, one day I want to just throw together a bunch of blankets and crash.

Of course, THE best is sleeping outside, provided you have the means to stay dry and warm.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tzulogic View Post
    Interesting Signature.

Yes, yes, I wonder about that all the time. I have neck problems, so I use a reallly thin pillow. I wonder if my biceps will make good pillows themselves when the grow a bit.
    I also wonder if we should just sleep on our backs? That's the tradition in say..Japan, and generally their faces seem more symmetrical, (though more flat.) I've noticed that Americanized Asians actually look more...American. Or maybe I'm delusional, but their heads actually seem narrower here.
    Don't worry about growing your biceps first. Just ditch any form of head-support and sleep however you feel comfortable.

I think the symmetry is more general good health. Low inflammation and stress = better formed faces.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I've read a few times that sleeping on your left is best, as the heart is on that side, and your lymph flows from left to right. Lying on the left sends the blood straight to your heart, keeps your circulation and lymph flowing while you sleep.

Oh yeah. And comfortable ear plugs
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    A few years ago, I slept very well on a mattress on the floor. Right now, I have a day bed. It isn't perfect but I have limited options. I live in a rented room and the day bed is what fits.

Years ago, I slept on my back. It was great but I can't seem to fall asleep that way now. Before Primal, my breathing wasn't great on my back so I got out of the habit.

I fairly much sleep in a fetal position. I remember Mark saying that wasn't good. But that's what I am able to do right now.

My shoulders are very broad so I use 1 1/2 pillows (a normal one and a thin one.) Recommended by my CW doc.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast