Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comments requested on form in Squats page 2

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks, I have the Powerblocks because they save space and right now I'd have to juggle to get a power rack in there. I've got some barbells in the basement and a rack I made out of 2x4's years ago, could screw that back together. I'm just three weeks into weighted squatting and am amazed how fast it's coming back (I'm 58!) Noticing one problem with dumbbell squats is that it is hard to get knees out far enough. The video revealed what you guys noticed, that I'm not going quite as low as I felt like I was going. Will work on being more upright.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Moose View Post
    Keep your chest up and don't be afraid to go ass-to-ground.
    +1

I think this will solve the majority of the problems of your lift. Otherwise, pretty decent job!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think with dumbbell squats it is hard to assume the same positions as barbell squats. It also takes a heck of a lot of arm strength to hold a dumbbell or two compared to just laying a barbell on your back.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    Chest up, weight on the middle-end of the foot and keep your back flat.
    When you are in the bottom position and your back arches, remember yourself the cue: CHEST UP!
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Its really hard to do real squats with dumbells. What makes squats a full body excercise is all the muscles you use to stabilize the weight above shoulder lever. I would recomend doing dumbell deadlifts over squats as far as using dumbells. ALSO, what you could try is goblet squats which is where you hold the weight in front of you and squat. Squating with barbell is easier to maintain form because you can squeze your lats together to help point your chest up and out. Also, dont necesarily think of squating as squating, think of it as sitting back and on the way up think of it as thrusting your hips and driving down with your heels, this will make it easier to feel that weight transfer the right way. I love me some squats! Good on you for getting in there and lifting heavy things! I just got my dad onto primal eating and now I am working on getting him into heavy lifting to! Well done sir and keep it up!

MprDoc is offline Senior Member
    Everyone on here is right about the depth as well, a "legal" squat is breaking the parallel plain of your thighs on the way. Legality aside its also the point where you activate your hamstrings in the lift.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuztujma View Post
    Your hip creases should reach an inch or two lower than the tops of your patellas at the bottom.
    because EVERYONE knows what your "patellas" are.

Great post.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    As a doc I did know that the patella was the kneecap! But not everyone might know that. My 85 year old father with asthma, cured colon cancer, celiac, and heart attack faithfully goes to the club and lifts (using machines) 4-5x/week. He is an inspiration.

I thank you all for your good comments and when I get the time and focus to get a decent rack will maybe repost a new, improved barbell squat.

What is SB?

The comment about it taking a lot of arm strength to lift the dumbbells made me smile. I mean, just look at my beefy physique, so much arm strength! Ha. 45 lbs per hand actually is a stress on my gripper muscles...

Jim

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Others have made enough comments on form, I'd just like to say you're bad ass for keeping up or coming back to strength training and those blocks are pretty cool. Keep up the great work.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12