Thread: Pescetarian and struggling page

Moonkin is offline Junior Member

Pescetarian and struggling

Hi Everyone!

This is my first time posting in the forum although I do read it and the website updates, every few days.

I am really in need of some help and advice and would appreciate any input to help my situation! I have been following the Primal Blueprint for over a month now and I have noticed such a difference! My energy is always high, my acne is clearing up thanks to no more lactose, and my strength training seems to be progressing.

However, I am Pescetarian (former veggie) and I had my gall bladder removed nearly 2 years ago. I am finding it hard lately to be satisfied by my meals...I tend to have oily fish, veg, fruit, greek yogurt, nuts, cheese etc on a daily basis, and until recently, eggs as well. BUT (here's another spanner in the works!) I have discovered after months of trial and error, that eggs are the cause of my really bad constipation, so for the time being have stopped having them and my problem has now gone

Although this is great as I am no longer constipated..it does mean my diet seems even more limited

I really would appreciate any advice from people either who had the same situation or anyone who could offer some tips for meals?

Thank you in advance!
    Tasha

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Why not just eat beef/chicken/pork?
    I used to be a former pescatarian too before being vegetarian, then vegan, then primal and I understand how restrictive it is

Being Pescetarian was actually a compromise a few years ago, to being completely veggie if I'm honest! It's really not something I will be changing to become a full meat eater really either. My desire to not eat meat completely outweighs my desire to be full primal. I'm sure I read somewhere that Mark's wife is Pescetarian too, so I know it's a plausible way of living. I just want to make the best of my dietary situation with some advice on how to do it properly and healthily.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i havent had my gallbladder removed and i am not a pescetarian but i prefer to eat more seafood than meat. i am lucky in that i have access to fresh seafood. have you tried any shellfish? you can make awesome thai curries with fish or shellfish. follow pretty much any chicken curry recipe you are able to eat and use either prawns or a firm fleshed white fish instead of the chicken.

mussels are always good

MOUCLADE | Recipes | Nigella Lawson

smoked fish pie. you would need to mess with this one a bit to sub things like the flour. i use tapioca flour normally instead
    Smoked fish pie
    if you dont eat potatoes, you could do a parsnip or cauliflower or even sweet potato mash on top instead.

you can make fish stock out of fish carcasses to make soups and stews like boullibase which i cant spell today!

there are some idea for cockles here with a side panel of links to recipes on seafood.
    BBC - Food - Cockles recipes
    you will have to primalise some. some you wont be able to eat at all. like the cockles and lamb.
    but you can do things like sub out the lentils for some kind of vege. cauliflower or brocolli for example.

there's these too
    Recipe search | Seafood recipes from Cuisine Magazine
    yet again they wont all be primal and some may contain eggs. just get creative.

my other fave place to look for inspiration is here
    Fish and Seafood Recipes - Recipes for Fish and Seafood | Hunter Angler Gardener Cook

there are also loads of mediterranean seafood recipes about to experiment with.

They all sound great! I like the idea of sweet potato on the fish pie will try the prawn curries too, I do like prawns I just don't cook with them often as not sure what to do with them.

Just had a look at the sites and they're really helpful, thank you for the recipes!
    Last edited by Moonkin; 03-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Kool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonkin View Post
    Being Pescetarian was actually a compromise a few years ago, to being completely veggie if I'm honest! It's really not something I will be changing to become a full meat eater really either. My desire to not eat meat completely outweighs my desire to be full primal. I'm sure I read somewhere that Mark's wife is Pescetarian too, so I know it's a plausible way of living. I just want to make the best of my dietary situation with some advice on how to do it properly and healthily.
    Ooh I understand. Have you tried fried cauliflower rice?
    Asian Cauliflower Fried Rice | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo
    I've been meaning to try it and it looks delicious!

That looks interesting!!! Might be something to try (minus the bacon!) at the weekend as we tend to try and experiment in the kitchen then I wonder what kind of texture it creates breaking the cauliflower up like that! Thanks!

Marinas Florin is offline Senior Member
    A shortcut that I always used when I was hungry was to eat carrots. They are quite satisfying I might say. You can also try this. Before you eat a meal, get some carrots in and after that, eat that meal. I bet that you will be staying fuller longer
    No Bull fat loss and muscle gaining at http://www.nobsbb.com

I am not a bodybuilding/fat loss/strength training "guru" BUT I achieved a lean state with ease after learning the correct way to train and eat and I want to HELP YOU achieve the same.

Lose Weight/Gain Muscle/Strength - FEEL BETTER

Start here: http://www.nobsbb.com/new-start-here/