Thread: Live supermarket seafood

Threaded View

Live supermarket seafood

So, there is a little Asian market about two blocks away from me that sells live fish from the tanks (along with whole dead fish, filets, steaks, frozen seafood, etc too). The price is decent (some stuff is actually cheaper since they don't have to do the cleaning, butchering, etc). And, unlike a couple of other Asian markets I've been to, crystal clear water in the tanks. My concern is their feed. I don't know what the supermarket feeds them, and there is a huge language barrier. So, unless I either learn Chinese or get myself a Chinese girlfriend...my neighbor is really cute.....anyways...I have no way to know what they're fed.

The place is always busy, so none of the live seafood stays in the tanks very long. Some of it, like the crab, they get live from the wild (according to their poorly written English signs) and the rest I assume they get live from fisheries. How bad of a feed (GMO-soy and what not) do you think they're being given? With the large turnover, should I assume it won't be any more unhealthy than the already dead alternative (farmed catfish filet vs whole, live catfish; dead wild crab vs live, formerly wild crab)?
    Last edited by Primal Moose; 03-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.