Thread: What do y'all think? page

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member

What do y'all think?

Primal Fuel
    So, originally posted this on T-nation, now reposting this here, pretty much word for word.

Okay, as much as I love lifting, I've been on a pretty much a year and a half hiatus from it where I haven't done anything consistently. Aside from some decent strength decreases (all my lifts are down) and being terribly unconditioned, I have gained a lot of weight. I was already overweight, but it's worse now. I lost about 30 pounds since Thanksgiving through diet alone (with a few slipups, followed a very carnivorous version of primal), but still have about 60 pounds to lose (based on current percentages; using the Navy tape measure test, so more, less, Idk). I'm ready to start exercising/lifting again. Started about a month or so ago, but haven't been doing anything to specific, just trying to get my body used to lifting again.

About five years ago, maybe, I did several months of Starting Strength, noticed some body composition change, and that was with a shitty diet. Have also done several cycles of 5/3/1 over the years. I like both programs for several reasons and realize both have advantages and disadvantages.

One idea I had was to do SS with the only added work being walking to and from the gym. Just keep my diet very tight. I'm thinking that with the deconditioned and "weakend" state that I am in, my body will react like a newbie on SS and I can ride some quick gains for awhile (maybe at least til I get to my old PRs). My biggest concerns are A) I remember always being sore and tired from SS, which does suck. Even after soreness has passed, you're always to tired to go on hikes, swim laps, play tennis, etc. B) as much as I try, I'm never very hungry. Ripptoe even says that even those trying to lose weight should still eat 3500 cals/day. I'm just never hungry enough to eat that much (cleanly), even when lifting.

The second idea was to do 5/3/1, with good assistance work, keep diet tight, and throw in some additional work like lap swimming (which I do miss) and hill sprints and some hiking. My biggest concern for this idea is that, if my body will respond like a beginner, I'll miss out on some serious "newbie" gains. BUT, also wondering if a few (probably four or five) months of solid training wont have me testing for my 1RM near or at my old maxes since I was there before and this would technically be building myself back up..

Goals: Primary - Drop the weight for health, general fitness (play tennis, snowboard, etc without feeling like I'm going to cough up blood and die), have a good strength:weight ratio, and to look good naked. Secondary - Hike most (preferably all, but it will depend on scheduling) of the Pacific Crest Trail NEXT summer (2014). Tertiary - Participate in another powerlifi
    ting meet..don't really care how I do, it's just fun to go (and have a goal to aim to).

Stats:
    Height: 6'1"
    Current weight - 288 lbs
    Goal Weight - (based off of current stats) 220-230 lbs
    Body Fat - (Navy tape measure test method) 31%

Sqaut - 210 lbs (down 150 lbs)
    Deadlift - 255 lbs (down over 200 lbs)
    Bench - 180 lbs (down about 40 lbs [my bench has always suck giant donkey balls])
    Military Press - 125 lbs (honestly don't remember my old max, wasn't a competition lift, so never kept careful track)
    Power Clean - ??
    Pullups - none
    Last edited by Primal Moose; 03-17-2013 at 09:49 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Strength is a persistent adaptation. You can progress at least close to your old lifts much faster than a novice. Do something 2 days a week but ramp the progression up until you're ready for intermediate programming again (e.g. near your genetic potential). That's my vote.