Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squats and Stalling page 2

boomingno is online now Member
    Primal Fuel
    The 'conventional wisdom' of weightlifting actually works, makes sense, and has a huge volume of research to back it up, some good some bad. Can you even name a single person who has actually had success with your 'program'? Do you have any sort of evidence to back up? Yes, its possible to get over trained - but solving that problem by lifting once a month doing two lifts in a machine is, quite frankly, absurd.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    The 'conventional wisdom' of weightlifting actually works, makes sense, and has a huge volume of research to back it up, some good some bad. Can you even name a single person who has actually had success with your 'program'? Do you have any sort of evidence to back up? Yes, its possible to get over trained - but solving that problem by lifting once a month doing two lifts in a machine is, quite frankly, absurd.
    plenty of 'professional' nutritionists and doctors would say the same of CW eating. do you see what i'm saying.

Next time i see my trainer i'll get him to point me towards his reading material and resources so i can do some reading and forward them along. But the fact is i do it this way and it works, all of his (and his brother's) clients do it this way and it works.

I'll just restate, i was lifting to failure at 130kg in February (albeit it at a few more reps than ideal - 18) and in May i will be lifting 175kg, who wouldn't want to do that on 4-5 brief sessions unless they love spending time in the gym?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    There is more than one way to succeed at most things. But there is an infinite number of ways to fail.

And there are also people who are outliers. Like you.

Based on my own experience with dedication or lack thereof, if I was deadlifting once a month, I would neither gain nor lose. But if I was benching or squatting once a month, forget even staying the course.

Machines? Spend time in a "gym" with a "trainer"? What's that? My living room is my gym.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Machines? Spend time in a "gym" with a "trainer"? What's that? My living room is my gym.
    My living room was my gym, but the noise bothered the people who live in the condo below mine. Now my loft is my gym, and my living room has a TV and living room-style seating. It's all normal and I kind of hate it.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future_PB_Dr View Post
    This is the second thread I have seen you say this. Do you genuinely believe this is sound advice? If so, why do more people not lift this way?
    I've not done 1x/month but I can vouch for HIT (Mike Mentzer, Drew Bayes, Doug Mcguff, and Arthur Jones are some known names). I used this approach for the past year and have made excellent strength gains with training 1x/week.... usually alternating an A and B routine. I always came back hitting more reps or more weight in the next session.

This is a great overview of HIT philosophy and methods What is HIT? | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

It's another tool for the belt. Give it a try sometime if you hit a plateau or just cause you need to switch things up. I'm actually going from HIT to a more volume approach just for a change of pace this month. Been using HIT for over a year and I'm just looking for something a bit different. I think any change in routine is bound to stimulate some adaptive growth after you've done the same thing for a good period of time.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    My living room was my gym, but the noise bothered the people who live in the condo below mine. Now my loft is my gym, and my living room has a TV and living room-style seating. It's all normal and I kind of hate it.
    That's sad. But I live in a house, which means if I ended up dead lifting heavy I would probably need to make further modifications to the living room floor.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    That's sad. But I live in a house, which means if I ended up dead lifting heavy I would probably need to make further modifications to the living room floor.
    You just need to go to your local livestock supply place and get a mat for a horse stall. They're 4' x 6' and go for ~ $40 in my neck of the woods. Bring 3 friends to help you load it into the car. It's heavy and unwieldly. But it will protect your floors.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You just need to go to your local livestock supply place and get a mat for a horse stall. They're 4' x 6' and go for ~ $40 in my neck of the woods. Bring 3 friends to help you load it into the car. It's heavy and unwieldly. But it will protect your floors.
    I suppose that would work for making weights safe for a concrete floor (i.e. garage) too right? I still lift at a gym but I'm gonna go ahead and outfit my detached garage anyhow. Already got the heavy bag, ropes and some other things in there. Just need the meathead center .

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I suppose that would work for making weights safe for a concrete floor (i.e. garage) too right? I still lift at a gym but I'm gonna go ahead and outfit my detached garage anyhow. Already got the heavy bag, ropes and some other things in there. Just need the meathead center .
    Yeah, they're extremely dense. No way you'll mar up your floor or your iron plates.

If you want to know what I purchased for my loft "meathead center," send me a PM and I'll send you links to what I bought and tell you what I did right and what I'd do differently if I were starting all over again (or if I had a bigger budget). The entire setup cost me less than a year at a commercial gym. I deadlift, squat, bench press, overhead press, chin-up, dip, and a few goofy other things, like glute-ham bridges.

Argon is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, folks, thanks for the advice. I finally decided to bite the bullet and switch from SS to 5/3/1. I'm only in my second cycle, so it's too soon to tell if my squats are increasing, but I definitely don't feel as burnt out as I used to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12