Thread: Beginner's Question and Help page

rajman is offline Junior Member

Beginner's Question and Help

Shop Now
    Hi
    I joined up last year and began doing the Primal thing for about 3 months and was probably doing 80% primal in my diet. I lost around 14lbs in that time, but I was made redundant from my job and fell off the wagon so to speak. I'm now ready to get back on the primal road and was hoping someone maybe able to answer a few questions for me.

The main problem I have is around breakfast time where I don't have time most mornings to make a decent breakfast and normally find I'm having a couple of apples andthen feeling hungary and snacking.. so.....

1. Whey protein supplement - i have this and wanted to know is it just a general replacement for a meal or can i have it as a snack or is it just best to have after a workout ?

2. Do you have to cutout cereals like museli completely ?

3. Is there an alternative protein/carb supplement that is recommended ?

thanks in advance
    Rajman

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    I find it helpfull to boil 6 eggs on sunday and eat 2 each breakfast on the following days, then I just boil some more eggs for the next couple of days. Add some sliced ham and some cherry tomatoes and you are set for a quick and lovely breakfast or lunch.
    A tin of tuna with some olives and pickles is also good and easy, so is making some fritattas in advance.

Normal muesli has grains, so yes, dont eat it. There is a primal/paleo version around, made with nuts. Search for it. If you tolerate dairy some blueberries with yoghurt is good as well
    Last edited by paleodutch; 03-17-2013 at 05:49 AM.

AJR
    AJR is offline Junior Member
    Cook up some protein on the weekend (pork chops, steak, chicken, etc) that will last the entire week. Then it shouldn't take long to scramble a few eggs and warm up the meat in the morning for breakfast.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i make an "egg-bake-thing" every week. 12 eggs, 1/2 stick melted butter, some goat cheese and veggies. makes 8 portions, that i bag and freeze. you can nuke or eat cold. real food.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    1. Why do you even want it?
    2. Do you have to ask?
    3. WHOLE, NATURAL FOODS!!! Tuna and rice. Eggs and sweet potato. Steak and potatoes. Pork and beans (yes, those are legumes. Some people tolerate them well enough).

Seriously, aim for whole foods. Don't do supplements unless you are really lacking something.

When you are looking at supplements, consider some of the following:
    What is it made out of? What does it do to your body? What are you trying to accomplish?

If you want to know what it does to *your body, give it up for a month, then bring it back (one thing at a time) and see what happens. If you tolerate it well (or well enough) and you're meeting your goals, then have at it.

krsn89 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post

Seriously, aim for whole foods. Don't do supplements unless you are really lacking something.
    +1! I don't really have time in the morning to cook breakfast either - I agree with the suggestions here to try an egg bake or something of the sort. Most days I don't eat breakfast (intermittent fasting) but some days I will, and my boyfriend, who is in college, still eats breakfast. We make a sort of "breakfast scramble" on Sunday and Wednesday nights. We'll scramble a bunch of eggs with some meat like ground beef, bacon or sausage, add in some veggies if you want, and then just keep it in the fridge. He'll take a portion every day to school with him. Super easy, doesn't take up too much time, and very filling!