Page 99 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 99

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well I wasn't talking about you, Zach.

<3

Didn't you want me drinking tons of fresh juice in the beginning? It really did help me for a while.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Ha, even I'm guilty... A guy just asked me for a few bucks with, "Excuse me miss I'm sorry to bother you but I'm lost and would really appreciate a few dollars for bus fare thank you so much" and I'm all, "Sure! Let me take out my wallet so that you might rob me!" but really I did give him a few bucks and I wasn't mugged.

Good story, I know.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Well I wasn't talking about you, Zach.

<3

Didn't you want me drinking tons of fresh juice in the beginning? It really did help me for a while.
    Well whats your definition of tons?? I think up to 32oz would be plenty, i still think fresh juice goes a long way towards healing guts. It does for mine.

I think I was doing that plus 16+ oz of coconut water.

I think it's a great way to get nutrients in while giving digestion a break, but balancing it with other warming foods / just not going overboard on it is key. Tendencies to go all or nothing over here...
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I don't think Europeans seem stand-offish but then perhaps that was them mirroring my American behavior. I'm not super outgoing but I do enjoy talking to strangers once it starts and I enjoy being friendly and smiling to people wherever I go. It contributes to my feeling connected to the world in a loving compassionate way. Like we are all people sharing the same world and ought to treat each other like neighbors. Distancing oneself from strangers seems the first step in the "us vs. them" mindset that grows to create wars. Feeling united with the humanness of even strangers starts the process of thinking and caring about the lives of others instead of just an "I've got mine!" way of living. A few years ago I moved to a small town after spending my entire life in a big city, people are MUCH friendlier in small towns! They treat you like they might see you again someday, because they probably will.
    <3 I'm all for that attitude. I love how friendly Americans are on the street! The second I got into NY airport I started bantering with a total stranger (American) - it was lovely. I struggle with it in restaurants here though. I know the staff are being efficient and polite, but to me they are demanding too much of my energy...!

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard that stereotype implied. Then again I grew up in Los Angeles where everyone is an asshole. So saying that Europeans had some sort of an attitude problem would be saying a bit much.
    Not so much an attitude problem... just that we are a bit... cool? (aka cold).

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Irish people are famous for that overly polite attitude... even moreso than the English! Is that an American thing too?

Z, I saw your latest journal post and been meaning to comment - sounds awesome! I'm actually feeling the same way about meat lately. Will comment in your journal <3
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Another day

Today's subject line is brought to you by the 80's.

Wow, that brings back memories of going to tweenie discos in rural Poland...

Anyway!

The look of low carb.
    Even though I'm reducing carbs, I'm not sure I can class myself as "low carb". Here's what it looks like for me:

Yesterday: Pineapple, water melon and gala melon for breakfast. Lunch - crab and avo salad (used mustard as a dressing). Dinner - shrimp, Salmon, potato gratin, spinach, in a super creamy sauce (more fat than I would have wanted, but we're eating out all the time so it's hard to control). Today: same breakfast fruit as yesterday, with a low fat blueberry yogurt (it even had added sugar ). Missed lunch as we were travelling: had some cherries, a litre of coconut water, and a small nectarine. Dinner: Shrimp, crab, salmon, clams in a tomato broth.

Is that low carb? It's lower than before, but it really just amounts to not eating rice, not having starch with every meal, and not having sugary tea.

I guess it's too soon to see a difference just yet, but so far I'm still sleeping well, and energy is the same. My skin is definitely less dry (happened last time I reduced carbs too) and I lost a bit of water weight initially, but it all went back on as soon as I had a cheese omelette, so I still look four months pregnant.

Speaking of which: I showed my belly to my dad yesterday, and he actually looked worried. Not cos' it was big, but because he genuinely thought I might be pregnant..!! My mum reckons it's gas, so I've stopped drinking sparkling water. Inadvertently I've also reduced my salt intake cos' I know they use shit salt in restaurants. We'll see if it makes a difference...

Home
    Today, we arrived in SF. We rolled up to the Golden Gate Bridge, and suddenly my eyes filled with tears.

It's so weird to feel like this about a city I've only been once before, but has always been in my dreams. I suddenly understand why I have not been able to commit to anything. It's as though my life has been a breath; held for this place, waiting to arrive before it could let go and begin a rhythm. I know there is no perfect place, but I look at San Francisco and I think "Yes - I could invest (myself) in this. I would want to make this work".

It's interesting travelling with my parents too. Our family had a severely (but stereotypical) dysfunctional relationship, which has improved in recent years, and now I'm really close to all of them. But on this trip, my parents are trying my patience. I keep thinking what "difficult" people they both are, but tonight a light bulb flashed.

I truly believe that what you say or think about people you're in relationships with just reflects back on who you are, so if I'm thinking my parents are difficult, then I probably am too. I'm going to work on my own reactions, instead of trying to change theirs. Changing myself was what improved my relationships with everyone in the first place.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    have you been hitting up the major yoga studios on your travels? I always do that. I know, i'm lame. But it's a business expense!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Home
    Today, we arrived in SF. We rolled up to the Golden Gate Bridge, and suddenly my eyes filled with tears.

It's so weird to feel like this about a city I've only been once before, but has always been in my dreams. I suddenly understand why I have not been able to commit to anything. It's as though my life has been a breath; held for this place, waiting to arrive before it could let go and begin a rhythm. I know there is no perfect place, but I look at San Francisco and I think "Yes - I could invest (myself) in this. I would want to make this work".
    Oh, I love how you put that under the heading "Home." Do you believe in past lives? Maybe you've lived there in your past life or several past lives.

That's how I feel about Berkeley. When I visit Berkeley now, as soon as I get out of the BART station, my eyes fill with tears too. When I lived there, whenever I returned from a trip, that first breath of air I inhale when I return (when I emerge from the BART station--I'm always getting out of the BART station b/c I never had a car), always filled me with relief and a feeling of inner peace. With that first breath, I would know that I'm home.

You are SO inspiring and motivating me to move back to the Bay Area. I desperately want to go home, but I'm so scared too. I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job there. This is the #1 factor. But I'm also scared to tell my boyfriend--I dread that confrontation. To tell him that I'm moving back to CA is basically to tell him that I'm breaking up with him. That relationship is not working, and no amount of work will make it work. (It would basically require one of us to completely change who we are.) So I actually do want it to end. But when you've been with someone for a long time (we've been together for 5 years), it is so hard. I don't want to hurt him, but I'm not going to give up my life for him either. I want to live the life I want, and that life does not include him. But it is so hard. I love him, but I'm not in love with him...but I don't want to hurt him, yet there's no way around it. Oh God, sorry for hijacking your journal.

Now that I think of it, facing him and telling him is probably the #1 obstacle, even though I said above that the job thing is. I think if I were single now, I'd have less of a difficulty moving. I'd still be scared about not being able to find a job, yes, but, really, it's the relationship thing.

But, hey, thanks for motivating and inspiring me to move home. I need that. I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, and I've felt this way ever since I moved to Philly almost 7 years ago! Can you imagine spending 7 years of your life in a place that you hate? At this point, I've lived in Philly longer than I've lived in Berkeley, but Berkeley is home to me. Always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Oh, I love how you put that under the heading "Home." Do you believe in past lives? Maybe you've lived there in your past life or several past lives.

That's how I feel about Berkeley. When I visit Berkeley now, as soon as I get out of the BART station, my eyes fill with tears too. When I lived there, whenever I returned from a trip, that first breath of air I inhale when I return (when I emerge from the BART station--I'm always getting out of the BART station b/c I never had a car), always filled me with relief and a feeling of inner peace. With that first breath, I would know that I'm home.

You are SO inspiring and motivating me to move back to the Bay Area. I desperately want to go home, but I'm so scared too. I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job there. This is the #1 factor. But I'm also scared to tell my boyfriend--I dread that confrontation. To tell him that I'm moving back to CA is basically to tell him that I'm breaking up with him. That relationship is not working, and no amount of work will make it work. (It would basically require one of us to completely change who we are.) So I actually do want it to end. But when you've been with someone for a long time (we've been together for 5 years), it is so hard. I don't want to hurt him, but I'm not going to give up my life for him either. I want to live the life I want, and that life does not include him. But it is so hard. I love him, but I'm not in love with him...but I don't want to hurt him, yet there's no way around it. Oh God, sorry for hijacking your journal.

Now that I think of it, facing him and telling him is probably the #1 obstacle, even though I said above that the job thing is. I think if I were single now, I'd have less of a difficulty moving. I'd still be scared about not being able to find a job, yes, but, really, it's the relationship thing.

But, hey, thanks for motivating and inspiring me to move home. I need that. I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, and I've felt this way ever since I moved to Philly almost 7 years ago! Can you imagine spending 7 years of your life in a place that you hate? At this point, I've lived in Philly longer than I've lived in Berkeley, but Berkeley is home to me. Always has been.
    You are always welcome to share stuff in this journal! It's a free ride, not a hijack

My view on reincarnation is a little more complex than what's generally believed by Eastern philosophies. In a nutshell: I believe the scientific principles that everything is made of energy, and energy can't be created or destroyed. As we "form" the energy can come from anywhere. So maybe people have strong draws to certain places because part of them came from there.

And yeah, as an aside, I did lots of random spiritual things over the years, like past life regression therapies, and America always came up. I can't even count how many people linked me to Native Americans, but there was also one guy who told me I was a man living in Boston in the 40's who had one of those 'nothing' lives: married, kids, but always felt like there was something missing (!)

Anyway, I don't know if I believe in that stuff: I more think that sensitive people can pick up on a person's longings and interpret them in metaphors and images. It's still interesting to think why some people have such strong draws to certain places. I look Californian, and from a young age people thought I was American (I was literally born with the accent). People still think I'm American. My mum, as another example, looks French, dresses French, and spends a huge amount of time in France.

It sounds like you know what you want, and in a way you've kind of made up your mind. I know how hard it is to breakup with someone you've been with for a long time. Are you concerned that he'll try to convince you to stay, or try to trap you?

And I totally know what it's like to live somewhere you hate! My mum has lived in Ireland for more than 35 years, and has never liked it as a place. I saw how bitter she was living here, but she was trapped by her commitments, and I think that's why I've refused to compromise, and why I haven't been able to settle in these cities that don't speak to my soul. Who knows - maybe if you moved back to where your heart pulled you, you would actually meet someone who it was right with?

(What line of work are you in, out of interest?)

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    have you been hitting up the major yoga studios on your travels? I always do that. I know, i'm lame. But it's a business expense!
    Lol - I've been meaning to, but we haven't stood still long enough yet! I'll definitely check something out in SF though.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    I also think it's interesting that you said that any complaints you have about people you're close to can reflect on yourself. Someone once told me that whenever you try to insult someone, that you just subconsciously think of what would insult you the most (cos it's true) and say that to them, if you know what I mean? I hadn't thought about that in a while, but it opened my eyes a bit on what I'm going through right now, so thanks.
    I honestly think the world would be a better place if we all recognised that all our views and perceptions are just reflections of ourselves. Carl Jung wrote about this extensively: he called it the shadow, and the idea is that we project what we don't like about ourselves onto other people, cos' we can't accept that we might have those qualities that we don't like. And sometimes we project our good qualities too, cos' we're afraid of loving ourselves.

Our subconscious is a really powerful force, and it controls more than we could possibly imagine.

I skimmed your journal last night and saw that you're writing the letter to your sister - good for you! Just do it. Action is better than inaction. If you don't know what to say, tell her that. Btw, you might want to look up a theory in psychology called co-dependency... it might resonate with you about your relationship with her. Hugs!

- Ray Peat