Page 98 of 244 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 98

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Ooo, I had a rice mishap today as well. Isn't that funny. I think it's about cutting back on the extraneous. For most in the paleo world that would mean not dousing everything in butter and coconut oil. For me that meant not drinking juice like it was going out of style, though Zach might not agree. For you maybe it means not an entire pineapple.

People in general are very... out there. And I don' think you have to be European to be discomforted by it. Salespeople in general are trained to be on top of customers, because they believe they'll make more money that way. People on the streets just tend to be more open about themselves as well. I wonder why.

So.... NEXT WEEK YEAH??

NewfMom is offline Junior Member
    YB, I just wrote a long post all about the Monterey/Carmel area and lost it. When I read that you were heading that way I just had to share all the wonderful places to visit. My husband and I have visited a few times a year for over 15 years. It is VERY special and so beautiful. I will recreate what I wrote if you are interested.

NewfMom is offline Junior Member
    Here is the info about Monterey/Carmel - you need more than 1 day!!!

This drive up the coast is breathtaking - can stop along the way and sit outside overlooking the cliffs/ocean - Ventana, Post Ranch Inn, etc.
    Route 1 - Big Sur Coast Highway - Big Sur, CA
    Big Sur National Scenic Byways Program

Point Lobos is on the way (not too far from Monterey) - hike overlooking the ocean - my parents loved this.
    Point Lobos State Reserve - Carmel, CA

The Monterey Aquarium is popular, and it is great, but I would skip if short on time.
    Pacific Grove is beautiful - Pacific Grove Official Visitors Guide | Pacific Grove, CA | Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce

17 mile drive is a little touristy, but worth it in my opinion. Can stop at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay (they have a wonderful area to sit outside with fire pits and watch the sunset over the ocean with bagpiper). Just did this a few weeks ago!
    Pebble Beach Resorts
    Bagpiper Entertainment at the Inn at Spanish Bay || HotelChatter

Downtown Carmel to walk around - lots of shops, art galleries, and restaurants - (ocean avenue off highway 1) - the main street goes down to the ocean with a beautiful beach. Very quaint.
    Carmel by the Sea | Hotels, Shopping, Wine Tasting, Beaches

Take Carmel Valley Ranch road off Highway 1 to the open countryside. Love Earthbound Organic Farms market place, and Carmel Valley Ranch is my favorite place to stay and visit - so peaceful.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Monterey/Carmel Valley, that's my old stomping ground.

Yogabare, I loved the Velvet Underground video. I used to have that cassett. I especially the love the songs that Nico sings.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Ooo, I had a rice mishap today as well. Isn't that funny. I think it's about cutting back on the extraneous. For most in the paleo world that would mean not dousing everything in butter and coconut oil. For me that meant not drinking juice like it was going out of style, though Zach might not agree. For you maybe it means not an entire pineapple.

People in general are very... out there. And I don' think you have to be European to be discomforted by it. Salespeople in general are trained to be on top of customers, because they believe they'll make more money that way. People on the streets just tend to be more open about themselves as well. I wonder why.
    I think extremes suit some people very well, but not me. I want balance and moderation!!!

But don't Americans consider Europeans standoffish? It's funny, cos' when I lived here before I noticed all those things, but its different this time.

So.... NEXT WEEK YEAH??
    Oooooooh yeAH! Are we going to laugh at the lady who brings us coffee? ("What a loser - asking us if we want sugar? SOOO overbearing.")

Quote Originally Posted by NewfMom View Post
    Here is the info about Monterey/Carmel - you need more than 1 day!!!

This drive up the coast is breathtaking - can stop along the way and sit outside overlooking the cliffs/ocean - Ventana, Post Ranch Inn, etc.
    Route 1 - Big Sur Coast Highway - Big Sur, CA
    Big Sur National Scenic Byways Program

Point Lobos is on the way (not too far from Monterey) - hike overlooking the ocean - my parents loved this.
    Point Lobos State Reserve - Carmel, CA

The Monterey Aquarium is popular, and it is great, but I would skip if short on time.
    Pacific Grove is beautiful - Pacific Grove Official Visitors Guide | Pacific Grove, CA | Pacific Grove Chamber of Commerce

17 mile drive is a little touristy, but worth it in my opinion. Can stop at Pebble Beach and Spanish Bay (they have a wonderful area to sit outside with fire pits and watch the sunset over the ocean with bagpiper). Just did this a few weeks ago!
    Pebble Beach Resorts
    Bagpiper Entertainment at the Inn at Spanish Bay || HotelChatter

Downtown Carmel to walk around - lots of shops, art galleries, and restaurants - (ocean avenue off highway 1) - the main street goes down to the ocean with a beautiful beach. Very quaint.
    Carmel by the Sea | Hotels, Shopping, Wine Tasting, Beaches

Take Carmel Valley Ranch road off Highway 1 to the open countryside. Love Earthbound Organic Farms market place, and Carmel Valley Ranch is my favorite place to stay and visit - so peaceful.
    Wow, NewfMom - thank you so much for all this info! That's unbelievably sweet of you We did the Big Sur trail today, and we're leaving first thing tomorrow, but before we go I'll suggest one or two of the things on the list to my folks. We're just outside Carmel now!

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Monterey/Carmel Valley, that's my old stomping ground.

Yogabare, I loved the Velvet Underground video. I used to have that cassett. I especially the love the songs that Nico sings.
    She has a beautiful voice. I love that whole album they do together - such a moment in time.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Death Note is great, Light was my role model when I was growing up
    nihil

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I don't think Europeans seem stand-offish but then perhaps that was them mirroring my American behavior. I'm not super outgoing but I do enjoy talking to strangers once it starts and I enjoy being friendly and smiling to people wherever I go. It contributes to my feeling connected to the world in a loving compassionate way. Like we are all people sharing the same world and ought to treat each other like neighbors. Distancing oneself from strangers seems the first step in the "us vs. them" mindset that grows to create wars. Feeling united with the humanness of even strangers starts the process of thinking and caring about the lives of others instead of just an "I've got mine!" way of living. A few years ago I moved to a small town after spending my entire life in a big city, people are MUCH friendlier in small towns! They treat you like they might see you again someday, because they probably will.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I don't think I've ever heard that stereotype implied. Then again I grew up in Los Angeles where everyone is an asshole. So saying that Europeans had some sort of an attitude problem would be saying a bit much.

An yes, dear, we can laugh at whomever you wish.
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

Zach is offline Banned
    Om, i barely drink juice. Usually only 12-16ox of fresh. Dunno whatchu talkin bout. :P

Zach is offline Banned