Page 97 of 244 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 97

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heeeey guys!

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Didn't get to finish my post... Do you think you will move to the U.S. anytime soon? Are you planning to make more stops in other places besides Cali? lol

I don't post that often but I've been following in the journals. Sorry to hear about your Mom's drinking.
    Hey brooke! Saw you started a journal but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Look forward to posting there Yaw... we arrived in Santa Cruz last night after a few days in NYC. I'm not sure what the plan is. My folks want to go to Vegas, but I think I'd prefer to spend more time in SF, getting to know it. I'm HOPING to move out at the end of October... I just found a sponsor, so we'll see what happens!

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    It's funny that you perceive NY as open. The US generally perceives it as how you describe London. I suppose it's all relative. Can't wait to hear about your day!

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's issues. It inspires a feeling of hopelessness to watch someone close to you be self destructive like that and not be able to really do anything about it (well, short of staging an intervention or something)
    Thanks. Yeah, the drinking is hard. I talked to her about it and thought I got through to her, but two days later she was drinking again. Which leads me to think it's more of a problem than I even realised.

Jesus, what a hippie :/
    If you think that's hippie, just be grateful you'll never be taking class A's at a music festival with me

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Have a great time!

Cant wait to hear about the ombare meetups!
    There will be coffee. And alcohol. And Carbs

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Yogaaaa, You're only 7 hours away from me! I'm sending all of my positive vibes toward you in super lovey waves. Hope they don't knock you over. lol

By the way, How are you watching the season finale of Game of Thrones tonight?!?! Are you missing it?!???? :O
    (I don't care for it, but my bf does. And everyone I know loves it. I just .... can't get into it.)
    Awww, thank you! Yes, I watched the season finale... I can't miss it!

That's a shame you can't get into it - it's so rewarding to watch. Are you not into fantasy stuff? Have you ever watched "Dexter" btw? I have a feeling you might like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Thanks knife!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-11-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I'm in Ketoisis

Bet that got your attention..!

To all my carbavour friends... I have a confession to make. I got so frustrated with my stomach bloat and weird recent weight re-gain (which I was too withered to even mention) that I decided to go low carb for a few days just to drop some water weight. THe weird thing is, is that by day two I was in ketosis. And I kind of like it

Whenever I under eat I can feel the moment when I start to slip into starvation ketosis. It's usually acommpnaied by jitters, and a feeling of frenzy. Last time I was low carb I was VLC, but it took me a week to get into ketosis. Once I got there it was a horrible experience. I felt like a maniac, and I couldn't sleep.

However, this time I didn't even realise that it had happened. I suddenly felt calm, incredibly focused, and yet energetic, but it didn't click that it could be ketosis... until I realised that I stank. Wo-ah. How do people do this all the time?! Surely the smell must go after a while? I've never had issues with bad breath or BO, but now I'm washing under my arms and chewing gum non-stop.

The low carb part is moderate though. Day one I had tons of raspberries, greek yogurt (low fat, ha!), eggs for breakfast, oysters for lunch, tuna tartare and scampi for dinner. And spinach. OF COURSE! Day two was similar, but by lunch time I was starting to hum. Day three I actually ate sushi, but it didn't knock me out of ketosis. Today will be day four low carb.

I wonder if the ease with which I've entered Ketosis is because of the contrast with my high carb diet? And maybe it's a pleasant experience so far cos' I'm not undereating this time? Definitely won't be doing this for long, but it's interesting to experiment with cutting back on the carbs after being high carb for so many months.

In other news: DEATH BY PLANE FOOD. Ate a load of gluten the day we were travelling, and guess what happened? Yup, after perfect skin for about two months: cystic acne outbreak.

It would be interesting to experiment with different kinds of bread though, to see if it's the actual wheat, or if the crap that goes into poor quality bread is what's causing the reaction. I don't get outbreaks from pasta.

I also got a horrible outbreak of cold sores before travelling... which is unusual too. I've maybe had ten in my life, and suddenly I have ten all at once! I know I was tired for two weeks prior to my departure, but I'm tired so frequently that I don't take any notice of it, but I guess I must be run down.

Oh, and yes - I'm in CALI baby!!! So many observations to share. Later...

Missing all you guys! <3
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-11-2013 at 07:52 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Heeeey guys!

Hey brooke! Saw you started a journal but haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Look forward to posting there Yaw... we arrived in Santa Cruz last night after a few days in NYC. I'm not sure what the plan is. My folks want to go to Vegas, but I think I'd prefer to spend more time in SF, getting to know it. I'm HOPING to move out at the end of October... I just found a sponsor, so we'll see what happens!
    I've always want to visit California... Sounds like fun! Something always seems to shift in Sept/October so that's a good time for change.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I think traveling just does loads of weird stuff to your body in general. I'm interested to see how this progress for you! Hopefully well.

Re: bread vs pasta, commercial bread has tons of additives, yeast (well, all bread does but you may be sensitive), weird oils, and often has "wheat gluten" as an added ingredient.

Aaaanywho, I hope you're having a great time! Can't wait to hear more

Ci, I also find many of those shows tedious...

diene is offline Senior Member
    My folks want to go to Vegas, but I think I'd prefer to spend more time in SF, getting to know it. I'm HOPING to move out at the end of October... I just found a sponsor, so we'll see what happens!
    Yay!!! Here's to hanging out in SF in November!!!!! I have my fingers crossed, hoping to move back there in in September-October.

However, this time I didn't even realise that it had happened. I suddenly felt calm, incredibly focused, and yet energetic, but it didn't click that it could be ketosis... until I realised that I stank. Wo-ah. How do people do this all the time?! Surely the smell must go after a while? I've never had issues with bad breath or BO, but now I'm washing under my arms and chewing gum non-stop.
    I've heard that the smell goes away after a while.

In other news: DEATH BY PLANE FOOD. Ate a load of gluten the day we were travelling, and guess what happened? Yup, after perfect skin for about two months: cystic acne outbreak.

It would be interesting to experiment with different kinds of bread though, to see if it's the actual wheat, or if the crap that goes into poor quality bread is what's causing the reaction. I don't get outbreaks from pasta.

I also got a horrible outbreak of cold sores before travelling... which is unusual too. I've maybe had ten in my life, and suddenly I have ten all at once! I know I was tired for two weeks prior to my departure, but I'm tired so frequently that I don't take any notice of it, but I guess I must be run down.

Oh, and yes - I'm in CALI baby!!! So many observations to share. Later...

Missing all you guys! <3
    Wheat gives me cystic acne too.

Don't forget the PICTURES!!!

I didn't watch Dexter but I watched the original Anime equivalent -- Death Note.

I can't get into any hour-long HBO/Starz whatever type show. I really dunno why... True Blood, Mad Men, Rome, The Tudors... Even if it seems really cool, I just always feel it dragging.
    Oh man, the Tudors--loved that show. True Blood is pretty good too. Tried to read the books, couldn't stand it. My bf loves Mad Men; I never really got into it.

The Game of Thrones show kinda disturbs me now. I thought that season 1 was okay with small deviations, but I felt that season 2 deviated too much from the book. I understand the need to cut out things and so the need for some deviation. But too much deviation is BLASPHEMY. Shhhh, I haven't even started Season 3 yet. But I've read all five books twice.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    I'm in Ketoisis

Bet that got your attention..!

To all my carbavour friends... I have a confession to make. I got so frustrated with my stomach bloat and weird recent weight re-gain (which I was too withered to even mention) that I decided to go low carb for a few days just to drop some water weight. THe weird thing is, is that by day two I was in ketosis. And I kind of like it
    Somehow I missed this post earlier.

Blasphemy!! I guess you are a fat burning beast now!

I've always want to visit California... Sounds like fun! Something always seems to shift in Sept/October so that's a good time for change.
    I agree - it's probably the feeling of the seasons turning. Many people get it at the turn of winter to spring too.

I didn't watch Dexter but I watched the original Anime equivalent -- Death Note.

I can't get into any hour-long HBO/Starz whatever type show. I really dunno why... True Blood, Mad Men, Rome, The Tudors... Even if it seems really cool, I just always feel it dragging.
    Ha, cool that my intuition was right I must check "Death Note" out.

Nah, I agree with you about shows. They take up a lot of time, so you need to pick your battles.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Re: bread vs pasta, commercial bread has tons of additives, yeast (well, all bread does but you may be sensitive), weird oils, and often has "wheat gluten" as an added ingredient.

Aaaanywho, I hope you're having a great time! Can't wait to hear more
    Yeah, it would be interesting to do an experiment with really high quality wheat products, to see if they have the same bad effect. It could be a similar case to people going on low carb Paleo, feeling great, not realising that it was all the processed food that made them feel bad, as opposed to the good carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Yay!!! Here's to hanging out in SF in November!!!!! I have my fingers crossed, hoping to move back there in in September-October.

Oh man, the Tudors--loved that show. True Blood is pretty good too. Tried to read the books, couldn't stand it. My bf loves Mad Men; I never really got into it.

The Game of Thrones show kinda disturbs me now. I thought that season 1 was okay with small deviations, but I felt that season 2 deviated too much from the book. I understand the need to cut out things and so the need for some deviation. But too much deviation is BLASPHEMY. Shhhh, I haven't even started Season 3 yet. But I've read all five books twice.
    Whooooop!

I actually like the deviations! I find it interesting to see how they change characters, or approach the show to make it lighter, or more poignant. But then, I'm reading the books after seeing the show. I generally prefer to do this cos' a good book will ruin a good film; a good film will never ruin a good book.

Somehow I missed this post earlier.

Blasphemy!! I guess you are a fat burning beast now!
    Seduced by the false gods of water weight loss...

I'm so excited to hear about everything that you've got going on! Your traveling, your meet-ups with Om, your experience with ketosis, just --well, I can't wait to hear it all!

I'm so glad things are going well with traveling, too, as it can be kind of stressful sometimes. But the fact that you've switched over time zones easily, are in a likeable version of ketosis, and feel very calm but fueled for your days is excellent! High five ^__^
    <3

- Ray Peat

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Nothing specific to add YB. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading many of your posts. Good to have you around!
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

The End of the Affair

My recent foray into ketosis is over: its death knoll sounded by a cheese omelette. I forgot how in America they take toppings to the extreme - there must have been half a block of cheese with those eggs!

Ketosis aside, it's interesting to experiment with tweaking my diet again. I've been high carb for quite a few months now and, while my sleep and mood are better, it will be interesting to see how much of that can be attributed to the carbs. Don't worry - I'm not doing anything extreme! Just not eating as much fruit (do I really need four bananas / a whole pineapple every day?), stopping the refined sugar in tea, and reducing the starch with my evening meal. One thing I'm sure of (even though I really hate to admit it): for me, white rice may have too many disadvantages to eat regularly. Yesterday (warning: TMI), I had the first proper BM I've had in ages. Lately I've been going four / five times per day, but no decent movements.

So, America! In New York we went to a show (Saw "Cinderella" - not the greatest), and went shopping (bought a gorgeous lilac cocktail dress, for [yet another] wedding). Yesterday I went to Trader Joes, which was very exciting (Is it sad that I'm not even joking?)

Santa Cruz is nothing to write home about, so we're leaving my brother to finish his exams and heading to Monterey for a day, then back to SF where I can dump my parents and start meeting up with the friends of friends I've been connected with. On Sunday we're driving back South and will be going through Nevada... mmmm - heat!

Since being here, I've become acutely aware of how reserved we Europeans are compared to Americans. It's said that "everything is bigger in America", and that also goes for people's vibes. In America, people don't hold back: they carry themselves differently, and even their postures are bigger! In restaurants I can feel how we come across as distant, or even rude, but we're used to under-stated service so, to us, the waiting staff and shop attendants here are a bit full-on. Not saying this is bad, but if I moved here it's something I would consciously have to adapt to.

It's a very interesting difference in how people project themselves, and I wonder if it makes for a greater sense of self fulfilment, or if it creates a barrier of its own.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 06-13-2013 at 08:56 PM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Nothing specific to add YB. I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading many of your posts. Good to have you around!
    Aww! Thanks canio Likewise, I appreciate your contribution.

Welcome to the journal!

- Ray Peat