Page 86 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 86

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey YB! Glad to hear that your relationship with food is continuously improving!

Regarding the relationship thing--I think most people feel the way you do when they're single (myself included). But you're such a beautiful and kind person that I'm 100% certain that you will meet someone! (Okay, so I've never seen a picture of your face, but I'm sure that you are beautiful!) Do what you love and be who you are and that person will find you (or you will find them, you will find each other).

Hey, at least you're not stuck in a relationship that could never work and don't know how to get out of it so that you can find one that could work.

As for soulmates, I believe that there are multiple people in the world who could be your soulmate. The trick is to (a) meet them and (b) meet them at the right time. Timing is so important, IMO. You could meet the perfect person, but if it's not the right time, then it's just not going to work out.

I'm the same age as you, but most of the time I still think that I'm in my 20s. (I wonder if that's how people always feel--I've read about people in their 50s who still feel like they're in their 20s...so they feel like a 20-year-old trapped in the body of a 50-year-old. That's kinda scary.) But, really, 31 isn't that old. We still have time.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for the late replies guys - the last few days have gotten away from me. I really appreciate your kind words and consolations <3

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I think there are lots of possible someones for each of us. I also think the real work is keeping a relationship going (speaking as someone married 11 years now, not all of them happy). Meeting lots of new people helps in the finding, but not so much in the keeping. Being happy in yourself is the best possible way to be ready to be happy with someone else, too.
    See, I wouldn't consider a "someone" to be just anyone that you could have a relationship with. There are tons of those people out there. I'd consider a "someone" to be a person that you can make things work out with: someone who's wavelength you are on. There aren't many of those out there: not in my experience. In fact, I think I've only met one guy who I felt like that about, and then I outgrew him...

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Don't feel poorly about your desire for a mate. We all benefit from sharing our lives with someone, and if you don't happen to be ridiculously, absurdly close with others (I'm not saying that you aren't, I just don't know how much of yourself you share with your friends, family) then of course it is understandable that you would feel a need for a partner. I really do live in my own little la-la land where I am open with everyone I meet and treat everyone like my lover, but I know that one day I will feel similarly. Or I will meet someone, yada yada. And I'm glad that you did have positive experiences at the wedding.

I do believe in soul mates, but I don't believe you have just one and I don't believe that a soul mate is necessarily romantic. I have a friend of 5 years who I consider a soul mate. He was interested in me years ago but I was having my own issues so nothing advanced, but to this day we have something that cannot be broken. It's difficult to explain - I know I usually have words for this crap - but it's an understanding that goes deeper than words. Pretty beautiful.
    I'm actually an open book with most people, and I'm the kind of person who makes friends very easily, and for some reason I seem to be in many people's "top friends". I have a lot of people who I love. I'm also very, very close to my family. (There are certain things I find very hard to talk about, and these are the things I share on MDA: my ED, my wrinkles (though I just make a joke of this ) and the times I find it difficult to be single). So it's not that I want a partner because I need to be close to someone. Romantic love is another level of intimacy, and I want to share that with someone. I want to share all of myself with someone.

And I agree that not only romantic partners can be soul mates: I also have a male friend who I consider a soul mate. We've travelled the world together: even shared a double bed for three months in India! He's absolutely the most magical, kind, hilarious person, and we totally get each other. My sister is definitely a massive soul mate too.

I guess the term "soul mate" comes laden with so many cliches and bad movie references. Perhaps it would be more apt to think of it as magnetism. Similar energies find each other: sooner, or later. The stronger the magnetism, the stronger the connection, and the harder it is to break.

Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    You know, I never would have thought I'd consider myself close friends with someone I met on MDA in just a few short months, but I do. I really care about all of you guys! You all give me so much help, support, and advice that I wish I could give back half as much.

Regarding soulmates: I don't really think that people have soulmates, simply because of the way that people are constantly evolving. As people change within their lives, they can choose many different ways to adapt the relationship(s) they've created with others. They can learn from their partners' differences and accept them, they can move on in their relationships and grow apart, they can change the meaning of their relationship between themselves and that person... It's really all subjective. The point is, is that how can our souls be perfect matches for one other person if we are constantly morphing into different beings? That being said, I'm not really an expert when it comes to love. I'm fairly young and have only been in very few relationships...

Don't feel bad about not being in a relationship, not at all. If anything, you should appreciate that you're smart enough to not dive into a relationship when you're not ready! There are so many people that I know personally, that jump into things way too quickly, without finding themselves beforehand. Having a partner changes a person so drastically, and it's really unhealthy to try and force yourself into a position that you just won't fit into.
    Anyway, you know what they say about finding a man: whenever you're not looking, is when they come out of the woodwork! So, maybe someone will pop up when you least expect it. not to be too nosy, but.... Don't you have a sexy yoga partner? Why not try that out?
    You give back loads Ci! Who else could I bold my letters to? Kidding - I really appreciate your advice, and I think you're extremely insightful. I know I'm always suggesting potential careers to you, but I think you'd make a great psychologist.

I agree with you about people evolving and hence there not being soul mates. There was one guy who I was sure was my romantic soul mate, but then we both changed, and it turned out we were / had always been, wrong for each other. I think a better way of describing it might be what I said to Ombat above. Getting in touch with your true essence might be the way forward.

And yes, I know I needed to be single for this period of my life, cos' I was such a mess before. I wouldn't have been able to share with another person. It just gets hard sometimes, not knowing when you will be ready, or how much longer you have to wait... I can bare it for the most part, and things are getting better now that I have my ED (and energy...? touch wood!) under control and I'm actually enjoying my life

Ha, the sexy yoga man is someone I dated before! He's super good-looking, but not a very genuine person so things could only go so far.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Hey YB! Glad to hear that your relationship with food is continuously improving!

Regarding the relationship thing--I think most people feel the way you do when they're single (myself included). But you're such a beautiful and kind person that I'm 100% certain that you will meet someone! (Okay, so I've never seen a picture of your face, but I'm sure that you are beautiful!) Do what you love and be who you are and that person will find you (or you will find them, you will find each other).

Hey, at least you're not stuck in a relationship that could never work and don't know how to get out of it so that you can find one that could work.

As for soulmates, I believe that there are multiple people in the world who could be your soulmate. The trick is to (a) meet them and (b) meet them at the right time. Timing is so important, IMO. You could meet the perfect person, but if it's not the right time, then it's just not going to work out.

I'm the same age as you, but most of the time I still think that I'm in my 20s. (I wonder if that's how people always feel--I've read about people in their 50s who still feel like they're in their 20s...so they feel like a 20-year-old trapped in the body of a 50-year-old. That's kinda scary.) But, really, 31 isn't that old. We still have time.
    Thanks Serenity I've actually always felt older than I was! Since I was a child I felt really old. Now I'm getting younger mentally, which is nice... I was too serious in the past.

I wonder if it is timing... if they were the perfect person, then surely it would work? There have been times when things didn't work out between me and a particular person, and at the time I thought it was timing, but in hindsight I could see that we simply weren't right for e/o.

What's come from this stream of thought is a realisation that "magnetism" is a better way of thinking of it all.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-26-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Thanks Serenity I've actually always felt older than I was! Since I was a child I felt really old. Now I'm getting younger mentally, which is nice... I was too serious in the past.

I wonder if it is timing... if they were the perfect person, then surely it would work? There have been times when things didn't work out between me and a particular person, and at the time I thought it was timing, but in hindsight I could see that we simply weren't right for e/o.

What's come from this stream of thought is a realisation that "magnetism" is a better way of thinking of it all.
    Hah! Yeah, I used to feel older too when I was younger, but when I got older, it flipped at some point, and now I feel younger. It's weird.

So I believe that I have dated guys (definitely one, possibly two) who were perfect (as perfect as is possible in this imperfect world). They were definitely soul mates. One of them was for sure--we were together for quite some time, and the other one--we weren't together for that long so I'm not as certain. But, both times, I was not ready for a serious relationship. The first one, I was very young when we started dating (18), and it was essentially my first serious relationship. I had no idea how to handle a relationship at that point, and because I had a multitude of psychological issues, we ended up breaking up in order to save our friendship. I have no doubt that, had we met/started dating at a later time--basically, after I had become more mature, had more relationship experience, and resolved some of my psych issues--that it would have worked out.

The other one happened a few years later. I was I think 23 at the time. I was again not ready. And the circumstances made it difficult for me to give him/us a fair chance. I would have had to move to a different state to be with him, and I just was not able to make that kind of commitment at that point in my life.

I don't know, I feel that the timing was messed up both times.

I do believe in soulmates though. I think people do change/evolve, but a core essence of who we are remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Hah! Yeah, I used to feel older too when I was younger, but when I got older, it flipped at some point, and now I feel younger. It's weird.

So I believe that I have dated guys (definitely one, possibly two) who were perfect (as perfect as is possible in this imperfect world). They were definitely soul mates. One of them was for sure--we were together for quite some time, and the other one--we weren't together for that long so I'm not as certain. But, both times, I was not ready for a serious relationship. The first one, I was very young when we started dating (18), and it was essentially my first serious relationship. I had no idea how to handle a relationship at that point, and because I had a multitude of psychological issues, we ended up breaking up in order to save our friendship. I have no doubt that, had we met/started dating at a later time--basically, after I had become more mature, had more relationship experience, and resolved some of my psych issues--that it would have worked out.

The other one happened a few years later. I was I think 23 at the time. I was again not ready. And the circumstances made it difficult for me to give him/us a fair chance. I would have had to move to a different state to be with him, and I just was not able to make that kind of commitment at that point in my life.

I don't know, I feel that the timing was messed up both times.
    I think it comes from losing psychological baggage and feeling more free. I'm glad I was serious for all those years, and I wouldn't change the experiences I had because they gave me depth and sensitivity. Likewise, I'm happy that I lightened up, cos now I have the best of both worlds

Interesting. But there's no one from my past that I would dream of going out with now... even though I've had amazing connections. In the past I've regretted breaking up with people, and blamed myself for messing things up, but then I would meet them years later, and realise that I'd been idealising them. But that's just me...

I do believe in soulmates though. I think people do change/evolve, but a core essence of who we are remains the same.
    I totally agree with that. I think the "soul mate" is the person that you can be the most of yourself with.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YB
    I've actually always felt older than I was! Since I was a child I felt really old. Now I'm getting younger mentally, which is nice... I was too serious in the past.
    @ You and Serenity, I feel exactly the same. I was always that "old soul" little girl that all the adults were fascinated with and now I feel like a reckless partier. Though, those I spend the most time with are still at least 15 years older than I.

Serenity, I understand about not being "ready". I could have potentially had a wonderful relationship with someone I'm still very close to, but I had been so psychologically fucked up from a recent fling that it would have ended in disaster. I think it's all about knowing yourself and I'm glad that I knew myself enough to keep him away so that it didn't happen.

A new approach?

My journal needs an overhaul.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the three reasons that I began it, have disappeared. I'm not binging, I'm sleeping better and... I'm not depressed. In fact, even my energy is better: I feel tired sometimes, but I haven't "crashed" in nearly a month. There's only one possible explanation: Magic

Still getting wrinkles though - so I guess the magic isn't strong enough to overcome the gradual erosion of the human body as it moves towards death. (I'm clearly reading too much of Derp's journal )

Anyway, I was talking about changing this up. Some aspects of it serve no purpose, like:
    - The "body section". I always have bloating, runny sinuses, and rosacea. It's like listing every day I wake up with two feet...
    - Listing the foods I eat. I don't know why I do this now. I think it's still a vague way of measuring and controlling my calories. I don't read back on it to find correlations between my diet and body functions. It would be enough to note if I was hungry / craved things.
    - Same with supp intake. I can't identify how different sups make me feel.

So, where on from here?

Since the journal is a dream machine, I'm going to try tossing in all the things I want to improve in my life Some of these are:

- Improve body comp
    - Finish my f@jkfKing massive creative project that has taken four years so far
    - Balance my hormones
    - Tackle the bloat
    - Improve skin (yes - wrinkles )
    - Deal with my relationship issues - warning: you're now going to see al the neurosis of my love life (*notices that all readers suddenly run for cover*)
    - Note my insights and reflections

Let's see what happens.

Weirdly, I had a dream last night that I played the song below for Ombat... and she hated it. I like it though - it's poppy and cute. And did I mention it's wise? (It's wise).

"Im Triggered"

lol. This is so me.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-29-2013 at 04:31 AM.

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    @ You and Serenity, I feel exactly the same. I was always that "old soul" little girl that all the adults were fascinated with and now I feel like a reckless partier. Though, those I spend the most time with are still at least 15 years older than I.

Serenity, I understand about not being "ready". I could have potentially had a wonderful relationship with someone I'm still very close to, but I had been so psychologically fucked up from a recent fling that it would have ended in disaster. I think it's all about knowing yourself and I'm glad that I knew myself enough to keep him away so that it didn't happen.
    Yeah, I know myself pretty well in some ways but not very well at all in others. Not knowing yourself does cause problems. "Know thyself"--it is carved in stone in the oracle at Delphi.

A new approach?

- Deal with my relationship issues - warning: you're now going to see al the neurosis of my love life (*notices that all readers suddenly run for cover*)
    I'm actually looking forward to that. I am not in a position to have a love life myself (b/c I'm in a relationship--it's complicated), but I'll live vicariously through you.
    Last edited by diene; 05-29-2013 at 05:45 AM.

A NEW APPROACH
    Honestly honesty

Skin.

The battle against wrinkles continues!

I began using Copper Peptides yesterday. Apparently you've got to wait at least four months to see results, but I'm being promised all sorts of magical effects. I'll take some pics and we'll hope that in four months the 'afters' are an improvement and you'll no longer be subjected to my moaning about getting old.

Love life.

Yesterday at my yoga studio, I got asked out by a really attractive* guy. He goes to the other Tuesday lunch class, and I'd spotted him a few times. Yesterday he was hanging around late while I was locking up the studio; we got chatting and at the end he asked for my number.

*When I say "attractive" I don't mean just physically pleasing: I mean that feeling when you meet someone and a light goes off in your head cos' you recognise something in them. And you think they're hot

I haven't been asked out by someone I found attractive in... I can't even remember.

I believe life is an expression of our mental states: what we think, is what we experience.

Reading reality like this, I find it encouraging that I encountered someone attractive. Maybe it's an indication that I'm finally becoming more open.

Saying that, my reaction was typical "me". I'm so confident on the surface, but when I'm thrown into a situation I can't control, that all goes out the window. Paranoid neurosis - peekaboo!!! Thoughts going through my head as we were chatting: "I've got to get out of here - he's not going to be interested in me - nothing will ever work out - how should I behave?" Talk about being a chilled-out yoga teacher.!

I'm never quite sure how open to behave with people I'm interested in. Being Irish, most of my relationships began with a bottle of whiskey. Unless I'm oscillated I tend to act cold. I'm scared of getting hurt or rejected, so I put up a wall.

Anyway, I didn't do that yesterday, but it was hard. I was open, but not super encouraging for him to contact me. I'm negative about relationships to the point where I don't believe that anyone I'm interested in is going to like me unless I play games. So it keeps me from being excited about anything, cos' I just imagine that it's all going end badly. And it makes me hold back.

I know that self love would go a long way with this, because life is too short to be neurotic like I am.

Battles with the bloat.

I'm so pissed off with the extent of my bloating that I only had one meal yesterday, and I've only eaten two pieces of beetroot today, which apparently is enough to induce the pregnant look.

Beginning today, I'm going to completely cut dairy for a week and see if this has a positive effect. It did last time I gave it up, but then again, I was simultaneously restricting.

Hormones.
    I've had three acupuncture treatments now, and I have no idea if it's doing anything, but my last treatment was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! It triggered loads of sensations around my body, and I even had umm... the female equivalent to a hard-on?! My libido went quiet again recently, so I took this as a positive.

Did I mention this journal was now going to be chock-full of tmi?

Also, interestingly, the acupuncturist told me that the bloating is the result of a lack of "life force energy" (which the Chinese call "Chi").

I'm starting my course of Progesterone tomorrow. It's a drug called Duphaston. Reviews seem generally positive: no weight gain, improved cycle, better skin, and some people even get bigger breasts Though saying that, it's been "discontinued" in the UK, and "Banned" in Canada..! Will be worth monitoring carefully I guess.

And Finally...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member

Love life.[/B]
    Yesterday at my yoga studio, I got asked out by a really attractive* guy. He goes to the other Tuesday lunch class, and I'd spotted him a few times. Yesterday he was hanging around late while I was locking up the studio; we got chatting and at the end he asked for my number.

*When I say "attractive" I don't mean just physically pleasing: I mean that feeling when you meet someone and a light goes off in your head cos' you recognise something in them. And you think they're hot

I haven't been asked out by someone I found attractive in... I can't even remember.

I believe life is an expression of our mental states: what we think, is what we experience.

Reading reality like this, I find it encouraging that I encountered someone attractive. Maybe it's an indication that I'm finally becoming more open.

Saying that, my reaction was typical "me". I'm so confident on the surface, but when I'm thrown into a situation I can't control, that all goes out the window. Paranoid neurosis - peekaboo!!! Thoughts going through my head as we were chatting: "I've got to get out of here - he's not going to be interested in me - nothing will ever work out - how should I behave?" Talk about being a chilled-out yoga teacher.!

I'm never quite sure how open to behave with people I'm interested in. Being Irish, most of my relationships began with a bottle of whiskey. Unless I'm oscillated I tend to act cold. I'm scared of getting hurt or rejected, so I put up a wall.

Anyway, I didn't do that yesterday, but it was hard. I was open, but not super encouraging for him to contact me. I'm negative about relationships to the point where I don't believe that anyone I'm interested in is going to like me unless I play games. So it keeps me from being excited about anything, cos' I just imagine that it's all going end badly. And it makes me hold back.

I know that self love would go a long way with this, because life is too short to be neurotic like I am.
    I loved that part in bold, especially. And I think a lot of people display more confidence than they actually feel. You will have to keep us updated on any progressions (or keep us updated even if there are none). We are now invested in the story!

Also, this is to share your experience and in no way to toot my own horn but I get asked out quite a bit and it is never by anyone I find attractive, ha! I have a good number of friends who I do find attractive, but they aren't interested in me. I wonder if it's a "...what you can't have" issue? Or the universe just hates us

Battles with the bloat.

I'm so pissed off with the extent of my bloating that I only had one meal yesterday, and I've only eaten two pieces of beetroot today, which apparently is enough to induce the pregnant look.

Beginning today, I'm going to completely cut dairy for a week and see if this has a positive effect. It did last time I gave it up, but then again, I was simultaneously restricting.
    Dairy could be a culprit, but have you entertained doing a FODMAP elimination? I know it would involve restricting but I have been able to identify a lot of things that are very bad for my digestion...

Weirdly, I had a dream last night that I played the song below for Ombat... and she hated it. I like it though - it's poppy and cute. And did I mention it's wise? (It's wise).
    Well you can cross "becoming a clairvoyant" off your list because I did not hate it at all! I'm actually on my fourth listen now

PrimalCon New York

Out with the New

You know what? I miss the old format

Sleep:
    12am - 5.30am; 6.00am - 9am: approx 8.5!

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Wasn't hungry again today, but it's primarily because my bloat feels so uncomfortable.

9.30am - Coffee w/ coconut milk and gelatine.
    11am - Coffee w/ coconut milk and gelatine.
    2.00pm - Lunch: rice, can of wild salmon, half a courgette in a turmeric risotto style. Tea w/ coconut milk and sugar.
    5.30pm - Dinner: two bananas, berries, strawberries, raspberries etc. heated with coconut milk and maple syrup. Tea w/ coconut milk and sugar.

Cravings:
    Sugar (tonight).

Supps:
    2 x Vit D
    2 x Vit C
    2 x Mg-B6
    2 x Asprin
    Ran out of Zinc.

Energy and mood:
    Felt tired and wanted a duvet day. Luckily I didn't have anything on, so I was able to work in bed til about 1pm. The joys of being self-employed In a pretty good mood, but somewhat anxious about my love life.

Body:
    Water retention: UGH. Sweet mother of GOD!!! I'm sure this is the worst it's ever been. I had two beers on Monday night, and lots of cake over the weekend. I wonder if this could have triggered it?
    Digestion: kind of have the runs.

Research:
    I had a little epiphany yesterday that correct utilisation of the vocal chords might be very beneficial for the thyroid. Looked into it today, and there is minimal info on this little-explored idea. Yet it's quite logical that there is a connection: the thyroid is right next to the voice box, and there are many accounts of a person's voice changing pitch with some kind of thyroid disorder. A few things I read that supported my theory:

From this site:
    While the thyroid is on the outside of the Adam’s apple, on the inside is the larynx, or voice box. You can tell this by placing your hand on your thyroid and humming. Try this. Hum by saying, “MMMMMMMMM”. Then say it louder and louder, until you are yelling. You will feel your thyroid vibrating. The louder you hum, the more it vibrates.

What happens to the thyroid when it vibrates? The thyroid is filled with a gel-like material that is the storage form of thyroid hormone. The gel releases hormone when the thyroid is massaged, which is why massage therapists avoid throat massages for hyperthyroid patients. There have also been medical studies that show certain types of occupational vibrations cause injury to the thyroid. The thyroid is clearly affected by vibration.

It is logical, then, to conclude that the vibration of the thyroid by using your voice also stimulates the release of thyroid hormone. This is a natural mechanism the body has for thyroid stimulation.
    From this site:

Mechanical manipulation of the thyroid can release thyroxine into the bloodstream, which is why massage therapists are cautious about massaging the throat.

Can the sound of your voice help balance hormones?

The release of thyroxine from the thyroid is known to be controlled by the brain. There is a classic feedback loop between the hypothalmus and pituitary gland in the brain and the thyroid gland that keeps thyroid levels where they should be. However, there is another mechanism of thyroid release that relates to the voice box. When you make a sound with your voice, your larynx vibrates, providing a gentle massage to the thyroid that surrounds it.
    This makes sense to me because in yoga certain poses are supposed to stimulate different aspects of the endocrine system.

Maybe if I sing and do Shoulder Stand a lot I won't need Cytomel

- Ray Peat