Page 83 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 83

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Wow, they are lightening big time. Pretty cool.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I think Denise Minger said that was because of something in the eating of fruit and veg. Can't remember what it is.

Mine are blue, so they didn't lighten up. DS's are golden-brown; DH's are green brown.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yup, they are definitely lightening up and becoming more green, I think.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    They have lightened up a great deal! Sooooo pretty.

Zoe, Minger thinks it's from glutathione in certain fruits/veg which is toxin binding. Also, my mom has had light/clear blue eyes her entire life and they have gotten even clearer as she's aged / adopted a clean diet, so you never know!
    Is it weird in here, or is it just me?

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    I thought that was interesting when I first read it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Wow, they are lightening big time. Pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think Denise Minger said that was because of something in the eating of fruit and veg. Can't remember what it is.

Mine are blue, so they didn't lighten up. DS's are golden-brown; DH's are green brown.
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Yup, they are definitely lightening up and becoming more green, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by CiKi90 View Post
    Your eyes are beautiful either way, but it's amazing that they've changed color! I didn't even know that could happen after you became an adult. Nice! If it's true about having less toxins in the body, then you muuuust be doing something right!
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    They have lightened up a great deal! Sooooo pretty.

Zoe, Minger thinks it's from glutathione in certain fruits/veg which is toxin binding. Also, my mom has had light/clear blue eyes her entire life and they have gotten even clearer as she's aged / adopted a clean diet, so you never know!
    The weird thing is that it seemed to happen very suddenly - since the "eating a ton" n=1 ended.

I've been reading more into it, and apparently there are only two kinds of pigment found in irises: black and brown! Shades of brown, blue, grey, green, and hazel colours are an interplay between the amount of pigment (melanin) in the eye, and the cellular density at the front of the iris, which light is reflected off (in a similar way to how light is reflected during sunsets), and then gives us the colour.

Eyes can darken if melanin increases / the granules make darker pigment, and can lighten if melanin decreases / the granules make lighter pigment.

Your diet affects the levels of melanin, which can thus affect the colour.

The most major change to my diet in the last few months has been the elimination of binging, the reduction in veggies, and the uptake of bananas (which I no longer fear )

Interesting stuff...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    aajonus vonderplanitz - big raw animal foods guy talks about eyes changing from brown to clear blue after changing diet and detoxing. I can see that happening with some eyes on the fence but certain races I'm sure wouldn't change for anything.

P.S. Where are those horrid wrinkles at? The only lines I see are the same ones that would be present on a child and certainly haven't changed in the time between the photos. I say don't worry your pretty little eyes about those "wrinkles" anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    aajonus vonderplanitz - big raw animal foods guy talks about eyes changing from brown to clear blue after changing diet and detoxing. I can see that happening with some eyes on the fence but certain races I'm sure wouldn't change for anything.

P.S. Where are those horrid wrinkles at? The only lines I see are the same ones that would be present on a child and certainly haven't changed in the time between the photos. I say don't worry your pretty little eyes about those "wrinkles" anymore!
    I was talking to my Mum about it last night, and she's sure it's an ageing thing: she made the point that a lot of elderly people have "washed out" eyes. I prefer our theory...

Thank you on the wrinkle comment! In all honesty I do have them around the eyes (you can't see them in the pics) but I know I'm overly-neurotic about them, and probably displacing body hate from my weight to my face...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

FTF
    Entry Twenty Two: A Tale of Two Cities

(Well, more like a Tale of Two Days and Two Cities).

I haven't made an entry in the last two days cos' they've been incredibly bizarre. In a nutshell:

Two days ago I was feeling really beat. My body was aching. I thought it was from the exercise so I decided to take it easy.

I'd had a pretty big food intake the previous day, so I was surprised when I started feeling desperately hungry at 10am, after having had breakfast (two fried eggs, a banana) at 8am.

At 10.30am I had another banana, and then at 11am I had two sweet potatoes with butter. Really unusual food choice for me - particularly at that hour of the morning! And at 1pm I was hungry again. I had two medium-sized white potatoes with olive oils and salt and a tiny piece of lamb. Went for my walk etc, then when I got back I had three more white pototes (two small, one medium) with coconut milk! THen at about 8pm I had two bananas cooked with coconut milk and honey.

Talk about starch overload. I really couldn't understand why I was eating so much of it. I theorised that I hadn't eaten potatoes in quite a while so maybe that was the reason. I went to bed at 10.30pm, totally knackered.

And I woke up at 1.15am, with a funny feeling. Nausea. I ran to the toilet and got sick. Then I puked every half an hour for the rest of the night. After the first two vomits I had no food left in my stomach, and then I ran out of bile, so quite quickly I was dry retching and had to drink water just to have something to throw up. I finally fell asleep at 7am.

I felt like death when I woke at 11am, but I had to catch a flight back to Ireland I rang my mum, and what was her advice? Drink some Coke! (If you knew my mum you'd know what an unusual suggestion that is, but it's one of those bits of info that gets passed down: that coke or 7up {7up is the UK equivalent of Sprite} are good for upset tummies).

I drank some coconut water on the bus to the airport, and once I got through security I bought me a Coke!

And I LIKED it! It felt so decadent... I haven't had a regular Coke in about 10 years!

I got home at 7pm and apart from the coconut water Coke I hadn't eaten all day. My mum had made meatballs in cabbage leaves (Polish dish) so I ate some of the meat, but what did I want? Ice cream! So I bought vanilla ice cream which was basically just cream, milk and vanilla pods (only had five ingredients), had a medium-sized portion and I was set.

Went to bed at 11pm, slept without waking for ten and a half hours!

-----------

Trying to figure out what this all means.

- I'm pretty sure I had food poisoning, rather than stomach flu. Stomach flu usually lasts 2-3 days, whereas I had 6 hours of continuos vomiting and was then recovering.

- I was confused initially. If it was food poisoning, could it have been caused by potato overload?! Actually, two nights ago I had shell fish, and I noticed that they plastic container it was in was puffed up. Usually that's a no-no sign, but it smelt perfect so I ate it. I'm thinking now that it was a little 'off'. Not enough to have an immediate effect, but enough to make me sick eventually.

- If this is the case, then maybe my potato cravings were a symptom that something was going wrong in my body: that it was being attacked by foreign bacteria, and the starch was a way of self medicating?

- A question on metabolism: I ate close to 3k cals on the potato day, but had very little left in my belly by 1am at night. Could this be an indicator of metabolism, or digestion?

- I now understand why Ray Peat followers drink coke and eat ice cream I'm not going to make Coke a regular feature, but if I want it on occasion I'll have it. Ice cream, on the other hand, should be a food group...

- Finally, a little note of positivity: I'm seeing my relationship with food getting increasingly healthy. I had a medium-sized bowl of ice cream! In the past if I had one bite I would have to finish the tub. But this time, I didn't even have seconds... This is progress
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-24-2013 at 04:42 AM.

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Whoa, that sucks! I hate waking up in the middle of the night to puke. I once had a similar experience where I was violently sick for about six hours. It was during the day though, and I was in law school and had a study group that day. I made the mistake of going to the study group and tried to study in between bouts of vomiting. Based on the time frame, it's probably caused by Staphylococcus aureus. Food poisoning: Causes - MayoClinic.com

Edited to add: I don't think it was caused by potato overload or else otzi would be constantly sick. Oh, and I don't think you ate 3,000 cal that day, unless you had a ton of coconut milk? Potatoes are pretty low cal for how much space they take up. I think it's probably digestion. All the food you ate were pretty easily digestible, except the lamb, and you only had a small piece of that.

And soda totally helps when you feel sick, whether it's sick from food poisoning or from being hung over. My favorite is actually root beer.

And yay to not eating the whole tub of ice cream! I've been eating ice cream a lot lately, and every time I feel guilty, I just blame it on Zach.

Hmmm, your post made me crave bananas cooked in coconut milk. I've never had that before, but it sounds good.
    Last edited by diene; 05-24-2013 at 11:04 AM.