Page 72 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 72

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I think you can be thin without being unhealthy, myself and many people I know are living proof of that. It's not impossibly skinny(stupid phone) IMO
    It is impossible for the majority of women, and yet it's what's heralded as the ideal by the fashion and film industries. People like you are the exception, not the rule.

I have one or two friends who are naturally skinny and totally healthy, and I know they get a rough time, but that was never my experience when I was underweight. People called me a "skinny bitch" but their envy made me feel superior.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks for your responses <3 I'm going to go on the antibiotics and then afterwards I'll try the kombucha. PM, did you ever try garlic oil pearls? Another poster recommended them to me.

Re. the rest of the tests: I'm sure that everything is linked: it's just a matter of finding what the initial weak link is. I actually forogt to post my liver function test results: I have a feeling that this might be a big part of the puzzle.
    I did try garlic, but I never did antibiotics. I usually go to an ND and would have to have something that was impossible to treat without them to get me to take them. I grew up on antibiotics and believe it is what sent me down such a long road of ill health. After nearly 2 decades of trying to improve my gut health, I'm scare to death of antibiotics! I'm glad they exist for when they are needed, but I think it is good to give other things a try first unless the situation is desperate.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, this thread is becoming a trigger for me as well. I know I contributed to the whole thing in a way I regret.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    There is always going to be something worse that will happen to look forward to, why bother dwelling on all the small things?
    Hah! What a ray of sunshine you are!

I actually agree though. My motto has always been: No matter how bad things are right now, they can always get worse.

What I find attractive in theory has very little to do with what I actually end up in bed with, for the most part. I have very low actual standards for appearance. I mostly go by the vibe I get from the guy, and their personality and beliefs. Those things are what I really care about, as long as the person in question isn't hideous. (And it's pretty hard to be hideous, like I said, very low standards.)

In theory, I think a guy with lean muscles looks the best, but, in the dark, I actually prefer a bit of pudge. I mean, they're just more huggable like a pillow when they're a bit pudgy. I once dated a really skinny guy--great guy, btw, one of my favs in retrospect, but he wanted kids too badly and was a bit sexist (not in a bad way, in an endearing way, but still) so that kinda scared me off, plus he didn't like sauces on food--and there's nothing wrong with the way he looked, but when we made out and stuff, I'd get jabbed by his hip bones, and it hurt.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Can't we all just get along?? D:

Seriously, I don't understand why a healthy body, irrespective of shape / size, can't be considered attractive. Each person has his own tastes and preferences when it comes to attractiveness. That's why they make 31 flavors. I do agree though that many excessively thin women are not healthy. Some are, yes, but not most.

Story time. I have a friend with a gorgeous body - slender and slim but not too skinny or anorexic looking (I'm not sure whether she has a thigh gap...) but anyway, she's in her late 30's so it seemed to me that this is her natural figure. We had dinner the other night and she was expressing her hunger as we waited for the food. I replied with, "I'm always hungry." ad she said, "Well of course you are. We all are. But you control yourself." I was so taken aback. I'm not sure why. I think I wanted to believe that she was this completely free being that was always satisfied, exercised a bit (she does), and looked her best because of it.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad, you're all beautiful!
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I, personally, have no problem with people being thin and/or others being attracted to thin people. I know a lot of very naturally thin people -- most of them over 50 -- and they are really nice, fun, lovely people.

What I want to point out to folks that a lot of this goes beyond body type and into postural positions and photo shopping -- particularly for folks who compare themselves to pictures and feel insecure about their bodies comparatively.

It's also important to note that a lot of women get triggered when anyone speaks about what *they* find beautiful because it is often not just expressing an opinion about beauty but an attempt to police another person's body (ie, Gal: "I lift weights!" Guy: "I don't like bulky women; I prefer toned!" *image posted of his preference*). I'm not saying that you were doing that, specifically derma, just that we often face these issues when we start talking about our own bodies and how we care for them and like them for what they are, which means that when *anyone* mentions their preferences, we tend to get triggered.

In this instance, I wasn't reading carefully to see if a door was opened to discuss our beauty preferences (i don't believe it was), but rather the discussion was an honest "appraisal" of YB's body as she posted her pictures, and what people liked about her in particular, and moreso what she liked, and then beyond this, what she was letting go of in terms of beauty standard.

And it's because of this that your statements were taken up a bit more . . . aggressively? . . . than you might have expected.

Thigh gap does exist. But, in most photos, it's due to positioning of the body (the first photo you posted actually has the girls legs and pelvis in the position that I described. Cindy Crawford's legs are photoshopped (both thinned and lengthened) in the picture that YB posted, and the young woman in the last photograph is very long/thin in body type, but the photograph does look at the least slightly shopped in terms of lighting and also skin smoothing/shading even if the body itself was not adapted. And, it's fairly easy to adapt the body in photoshop quickly, and I was really amazed at how an image can "not look shopped" and yet still be shopped. I found this video and this video interesting.

So, unless you took the photograph, I can't assume that it's not shopped, you know? Some shop jobs are so good, you don't notice (good graphic artist!). Other jobs are chop-jobs. And pretty much any pictures of celebs are shopped -- even paparazzi pics!
    Last edited by zoebird; 05-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    and fwiw, I wasn't personally triggered, but was noticing that others were and might need some help identifying things. And, finally, it is a personal pet peeve of mine when I go "i really like my thighs" and someone goes "you look great, but i love thigh gap!" (as an example, didn't really happen).

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    a lot of women get triggered when anyone speaks about what *they* find beautiful because it is often not just expressing an opinion about beauty but an attempt to police another person's body (ie, Gal: "I lift weights!" Guy: "I don't like bulky women; I prefer toned!" *image posted of his preference*). I'm not saying that you were doing that, specifically derma, just that we often face these issues when we start talking about our own bodies and how we care for them and like them for what they are, which means that when *anyone* mentions their preferences, we tend to get triggered.
    That's a great summation Zoe. I would like to add that it's not just women who get triggered by stuff like that: men do too. Hence I would never tell a skinny guy that buff men are sexier, or tell a guy who works in a video game store how attractive rich, successful men are (disclaimer: just examples - not my personal preferences )

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix
    I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad, you're all beautiful!
    You definitely didn't make anyone feel bad! We're all responsible for our own emotions. Very thin women just happened to trigger a lot of stuff for a lot of women. It's nothing against the women themselves, or the men who happen to like them. As I said, if I didn't think skinny was beautiful, I wouldnt have starved myself to the point that I did. However, I also appreciate the beauty of some plus size models. For someone so critical of my own body, I'm actually not so critical of other people's.

I maintain my dislike of the thigh gap though
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-10-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    See what photoshop can do, though?

I don't believe any photos anymore. >__<
    About those bikini shots of myself I posted: there's been something I've been meaning to tell you.........

Kidding

- Ray Peat