Page 66 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 66

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think activating your glutes and doing a psoas release protocol will make a big difference for you. It certainly has for me. I can also see some aspects of your postural pattern already (putting more weight on one foot than the other, one shoulder higher than the other, torques/twists along the spine.

And, besides which, you look great.

Zach is offline Banned
    Why you guys gotta go and have a great convo when im actually out doing stuff?? Make me read 5 bloody pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Why would you say fruitarian as opposed to raw vegan, since fruits are usually more calorie dense than veggies?

I've been toying with the idea of eating raw fruits & veg mostly with just a bit of meat here and there...
    Fruitarians actually eat quite a bit of veggies as well. I believe the proper diet is to have a huge fruit breakfast and lunch then a huge veggie/fruit salad in the evening. You literally have to stuff yourself to get enough calories from fruit and veg though. 80/10/10 is rough and unsustainable for almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Do you think there's an adjustment period with just eating fruit? As you know I used to be vegan, and some days I would just eat fruit for dinner, but I was always starving afterwards.

Irrespective, I think I'm too unstable to ever have a restricted diet again.
    A lot of people complain about fructose malabsorption at first. I think it takes practice to eat that much fructose in one sitting, certainly doable though. I know your history with diet but i think you worry too much about the small details. Doing a few days of a real weight loss diet then going back to normal eating should not effect you. You really seem to want to shed some fat and like derp said, you need to cut cals eventually. I think doing 2-3 days of all fruit or all potatoes or something is a relatively painless way of dropping a guaranteed 2-3 pounds. Then eat normally for a week and do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    She looks extremely muscular though. It has to be a combination of both...
    I bet she does many advanced bodyweight movements like handstand work an single leg squats and whatnot. I wouldnt doubt if she did some sort of weight lifting routine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    I agree!!

I don't know about a fruitarian diet though. I'm not so sure about consuming excessive quantities of fructose. I don't want to get into an argument over fructose here, but people like Mercola believe that fructose is bad for you. Now, I buy crap from Mercola from time to time, and I read his articles. But sometimes I wonder if he's just a quack. Well, not a complete quack, but it's clear to me that he reads the same stuff that we read (paleo community stuff), and sometimes his articles just regurgitate the information someone else has posted somewhere else. And that's not encouraging to me. But he posts some good stuff sometimes. Anyway, he is very anti-fructose (which actually has caused me to feel guilty every time I eat an apple, which I think is kinda ridiculous). But this-->why you maybe shouldn't adopt a fruitarian diet: Surprising Health Hazards Associated with an All-Fruit Diet
    Mercola may not be a total quack but he is a drug and supplement pusher and uses peoples fears to make money. DurianRider on the other hand eats over 1000g of fructose a day for like 11 years, looks great and doesnt sell anything. I would lean towards Durians opinion on fructose.

I don't think it has to be all or nothing. You could do mostly frutarian with meat re feeds every once in a while. Once or twice a week just go crazy on a couple of steaks or a giant fish or something? That's probably more similar to how we would actually eat as hunter gatherers... You know... I might have to think about this.....
    Probably the healthiest diet in the world right there. Mostly raw fruit with small amounts of raw/lightly cooked animal products.

YB, to look like her you will need to add quite a bit of lean muscle. Working up to advanced bodyweight movements is all you would need to do and would be the easiest on your hormones/metabolism. It would also further your yoga development greatly. Of course she has a lower bf% but not by much and i think that that low is probably detrimental to your health. Women have a bit of fat for a reason and that is to have babies. Go to low and you lose your period and get crazy hormonal/depressed. Adding muscle is the much better option because it not only fills you out but it creates an illusion of a lower body fat. I am still willing to help you with bodyweight work whenever you feel up to it.

IMO Kino Mcgregor is pretty perfect, soft body but still very muscular. And the crazy shit she can do!

tumblr_lvt3i8LjRt1r1fotlo1_500.jpg

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I have a... "generous" derriere
    You really, really don't. There's nothing sexy about being a stick figure with a flat ass.

Unfortunately it has no muscle tone and it doesn't respond to exercise. I think I would need to do something pretty intense to get it in shape.
    Adding muscles will make it more curvy and attractive. Some good suggestions in here.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Firstly: thank you all so much for saying I look good in the pics! Of course I wasn't happy cos' I was fighting my natural shape but I accept now that I'm hour glass and can't change that unless I'm underweight. Could anyone say what bf % I might have been at there?

When I went Primal and cut a bit more and was putting on muscle, I was getting really happy with the bod. However, I was undereating, my body fought back and here I am today, ready to finally do it "the right way"

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    "need to do"?
    nothing. nothing at all. live, breathe, eat. Try to do stuff that makes you happy.
    That's actually brilliant advice. I want to get to a place where I can live my life without my energy crashing. When my energy is good, I do things I love: two of which are working out, and eating well. A sustainable body shape would come from that.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-07-2013 at 12:03 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Secondly, the fitness advice!

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    You want to know how you can look like Malachi. I think part of how lean you can get has to do with genetics (especially for women, who are not meant to have super low body fat percentages). Malachi is pretty lean for a woman so I'm guessing that not everyone is genetically predisposed to looking like her. No reason why you couldn't though. Since you're already pretty thin, I think you may be able to do it by just working out. (People who have a lot of body fat will have to lose some of the fat first, but I don't think it's a big issue for you.) I don't know if she got that body just by doing yoga, but I'd recommend good old-fashioned weight lifting. Here is where my brainwashed mind tells you to do Crossfit. There are CF boxes in London: Looking for CrossFit gyms in London - CrossFit Discussion Board

Other people on MDA hate CF, and they may be right. I don't know enough about exercise programming to really be able to tell, but what I do know is that the female Crossfitters at my box who have been there for a while look damn good.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I looked into Crossfit and it doesn't really resonate with me, but maybe it's something to try once I get a bit fitter. Right now it might just deplete my energy. If I can go a month without a major crash then I think I'll be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    If you want to try and tone up your butt, though, and you've got a curved spine, you may want to try using a glute machine at a gym, like this one, or something similar:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=glut...X8phnUkaHWM%3A

My theory is that if you're bent over, your spine won't be in use as much as if you were standing, so it would have no effect on your performance. You could also do bird dog, 3-legged dog or any variation with ankle weights attached for more resistance. Just some suggestions.
    That's a great idea! I haven't been to the gym in ages (since starting this journal actually, ooops!) but they have machines like that. I could give it a try. What weight would you suggest lifting and how many reps?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    I think activating your glutes and doing a psoas release protocol will make a big difference for you. It certainly has for me. I can also see some aspects of your postural pattern already (putting more weight on one foot than the other, one shoulder higher than the other, torques/twists along the spine.
    Thanks Zoe At the moment I'm starting each day by standing on one leg and simply lifting the opposite leg parallel to the floor. It really engages the glutes. Don't know if it makes a physical different to them though...

Are there any exercises you could suggest? Also, the postural patterns: do I need to modify my practice to work around these and help them to balance out?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I bet she does many advanced bodyweight movements like handstand work an single leg squats and whatnot. I wouldnt doubt if she did some sort of weight lifting routine as well.

YB, to look like her you will need to add quite a bit of lean muscle. Working up to advanced bodyweight movements is all you would need to do and would be the easiest on your hormones/metabolism. It would also further your yoga development greatly. Of course she has a lower bf% but not by much and i think that that low is probably detrimental to your health. Women have a bit of fat for a reason and that is to have babies. Go to low and you lose your period and get crazy hormonal/depressed. Adding muscle is the much better option because it not only fills you out but it creates an illusion of a lower body fat. I am still willing to help you with bodyweight work whenever you feel up to it.
    Thanks Zach I would definitely love to do that. I can feel myself getting progressively stronger now and I reckon it's just a matter of weeks and I'll be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    You really, really don't. There's nothing sexy about being a stick figure with a flat ass.
    Adding muscles will make it more curvy and attractive. Some good suggestions in here.
    Ha, it's a lot more 'generous' now But I can see in that pic that the problem before was lack of muscle tone, not size. Thanks for the input
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Zoe At the moment I'm starting each day by standing on one leg and simply lifting the opposite leg parallel to the floor. It really engages the glutes. Don't know if it makes a physical different to them though...

Are there any exercises you could suggest? Also, the postural patterns: do I need to modify my practice to work around these and help them to balance out?
    yes. we should skype about it though.

i love being an hourglass, personally. I don't want to look as lean as Kino or other women that are relatively popular now. I've also always noted that many of those women are 5 ft 2 or less. I'm 5 ft 7 in, you know? And I love my height/weight/measurements -- but I look "softer" rather than lean or thin/skinny. I really like the way that I look, though.

Thanks Zach I would definitely love to do that. I can feel myself getting progressively stronger now and I reckon it's just a matter of weeks and I'll be ready.

Ha, it's a lot more 'generous' now But I can see in that pic that the problem before was lack of muscle tone, not size. Thanks for the input [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    yes. we should skype about it though.

i love being an hourglass, personally. I don't want to look as lean as Kino or other women that are relatively popular now. I've also always noted that many of those women are 5 ft 2 or less. I'm 5 ft 7 in, you know? And I love my height/weight/measurements -- but I look "softer" rather than lean or thin/skinny. I really like the way that I look, though.
    That would be great Zoe I'll pm you.

Yeah, shorter women can be more petite all over... but I'm 5'8 and I feel disproportionate.

- Ray Peat

FTF
    Entry Eleven: 11.2

From yesterday...

Sleep:
    10.30pm - 6am: 7.5 hours!

Had a nightmare last night, and I woke up with the stressed-out feeling I had yesterday morning: heart pounding, head racing. It was such a stupid dream too: it was about me going to an endo and finding out... I had too many stress hormones. Seriously...

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Pretty hungry again today. I was still a bit hungover...

6am - Breakfast: 2 x Primal pancakes fried in coconut oil w/ maple syrup, half litter coconut water, 2 x coffees w/ lf milk
    11.30am - coconut water (1/2 litre)
    12.00pm - Lunch: 2 x bowls bone broth, small piece lamb, 1 x boiled potato.
    1.30pm - 1 x banana, coffee w/ lf milk
    6.00pm - Dinner: 3 x eggs fried in butter, 1 x boiled potato, 218gs wild salmon, lots olive oil, tea w/ lf milk and sugar, coffee w/ lf milk
    9.30pm - coconut water (1 litre)

Cravings: Meat and fat! Looking at what I ate it was a pretty low carb day, which is unusual.

Fitness:
    6 x 100 metre sprints (first time since starting the journal! Used to do these twice a week)
    45 min walk in park
    30 min cycle
    90 minute partner yoga.

Partner yoga is my new favourite thing! It's amazing. You can get so much more flexibility when you work with a partner. And it really helps break down the barriers we have against touch in our culture.

Energy and mood:
    Felt great today! Did lots of exercise, sat in the park with friends, lots of energy etc. Had a mini slump after dinner, but went to yoga and felt amazing afterwards.

Supps:
    None today. Think I'm entering a "no supp" phase.

Body:
    Water retention: Seriously. Wtf is with my stomach? Since keeping track of this I'm realising how ridiculously bloated I get. Is it possible that eating a meal and then exercising right afterwards can bloat you? Cos' after yoga I looked like an elephant. A baby elephant, but still.
    Sinus - Nose got runny after cycling to yoga.
    Skin - Particularly dry hands today. It's not abating... I'm using petroleum jelly, which is helping, but only temporarily.
    Rosacea: Not bad today. Got red during yoga but that's to be expected with me.
    Lips - Good today!
    Keratosis pilaris: Bit better, but it could be because I was in the sun.
    Digestion - Good.
    Temperature: Didn't take it...

Stress:
    Nope. Postive and productive.

- Ray Peat

diene is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about getting an IUD because hormonal birth control really screws me up.. I've heard stories from complete opposite ends of the spectrum on those things. Some women love them, some cant stand them. Guess there's no way to know how it would affect me without trying it out...

Re: belly pooch. I think some women are just predisposed. My sister was pretty emaciated when she was in college - all she did was eat doritos during the day and drink beer at night. She looked like a bean pole but still had a belly pooch. It could have been the wheat, though, as she later found out she was gluten intolerant (like my mom and I) but who knows.
    Yeah, there really is no way to know how you'll react to it until you try it out. But if you try it out just remember that the really obvious and annoying side effects (heavy periods and menstrual cramps) go away with time. So the cramps will be worse during the first few months, and your periods will be heavier. But both will get better with time. I had mine for 8 months, and by the time I had it removed, my cramps had gotten significantly better (almost completely gone, actually, but that's b/c I don't normally get cramps, never experienced them before the IUD), and my periods were lighter and shorter too. A lot of women can't stand it because they can't get past the first few months when the cramping is worse (and you can get low-level cramps at random times during the month) and their periods are longer (you might get a few days of spotting before the actual period starts--so can be as long as ten days from the start of the spotting to the end of the period). But both of those will get better if you're patient.

As for the belly pooch--yeah, it's probably genetic. I've always had it. Ever since I was born, according to my mom, and even when I was pretty thin, I still had a pooch.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Firstly: thank you all so much for saying I look good in the pics! Of course I wasn't happy cos' I was fighting my natural shape but I accept now that I'm hour glass and can't change that unless I'm underweight. Could anyone say what bf % I might have been at there?
    An hourglass shape is desirable for a woman, isn't it? I would guess that you're at 20% at most (which is actually desirable for a woman). There is a body fat percentage thread somewhere around here, and they linked to ths: Body Fat Percentage Pictures of Men & Women - BuiltLean

You can look at the pics and compare. I think you're around 20% based on the pics. I thought I was maybe closer to 30% when I looked at the pics, but I got a bod pod measurement and was only 25.9%. But my fat distribution makes me look at lot fatter in the middle than the 25% pic. I'd guess that Malachi is probably around 15%? I think I read somewhere that women need at least 14% body fat to menstruate so by the time you get to 15% you're cutting it pretty close. (I'm assuming that it's unhealthy to be at a BF% that prevents menstruation, even if you don't plan on getting pregnant, just b/c it's probably an unnatural state to be in).

And look at the pic of the man with 3-4% BF. Doesn't that look scary? I mean, you can see his blood vessels--ew!!!

Edited to add: I tried your primal oatmeal, and it was good! I found some frozen strawberries in the freezer; they were old but still edible. I added cinnamon and cloves. Yum! It even looked like oatmeal.
    Last edited by diene; 05-07-2013 at 10:25 AM.