Page 65 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 65

diene is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    SF! I lived in San diego 11 years ago, and fell in love with SF when I visited it. Although I've always had a weird draw to Cali: from the age of 6 I started telling my parents I wanted to live there. Santa Barbara is meant to be nice too...

I hear you on the work I've come to the conclusion that the most important thing about health is stress reduction and human connection. That's what I'm prioritising now

Is that weight shifting for you at all? (and are you still "eating a ton"?) btw, I'm reading GOT - love it!
    Cool! Maybe we can hang out in real life if we both move there. Well, I probably wouldn't actually move to SF, I'd probably move somewhere in the East Bay, Oakland or something. But close enough.

The stress thing--that's why I keep postponing my move. I have a job here, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job in SF so I keep trying to save up more money. Not having a lot of savings and not having a job would be really stressful.

I'm still eating a ton, and my weight hasn't gone down (nor have I lost any inches). I've gained 2 pounds since I started eating a ton in mid-Feb., which isn't really too bad considering that the difference between counting and restricting all the time and eating a ton is only 2 pounds, but it's also possible that I'm continuing to slowly gain weight, which is definitely not good. But I'm also convinced that my recent weight problem is caused by my IUD, and I had that removed last Friday. So I'm giving my body time to normalize, and hopefully it will.

And GOT is the best!

Edited to add: Okay, that ^^^ picture is disturbing. Still waiting for your pix, YB!
    Last edited by diene; 05-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.

I agree that it all depends on your physiology. The more I experiment with these things and read about other people's experiences, the more I think that there isn't one optimal way of eating that works for everyone. So maybe for some people it's really HFLC, but for others maybe it's not. I've never been vegan before, but I was vegetarian for a while. And I'm pretty sure that I couldn't lose weight by being veggie.

On the subject of oatmeal (since you said that you ate a lot of it), I ate a lot of oatmeal pre-primal too. And it's the one thing I really miss. And I really think that it helped me control my weight. I usually made a porridge out of it with eggs and sardines (I know this may sound disgusting) and hot sauce. Yeah, gross, I know. But I really liked it. Pefect fuel for races too. I've been thinking about buying some gluten-free oats and eating oatmeal again. But I feel like I've been so indoctrinated by primal/paleo that I can't do it. Crazy, huh.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Cool! Maybe we can hang out in real life if we both move there. Well, I probably wouldn't actually move to SF, I'd probably move somewhere in the East Bay, Oakland or something. But close enough.

The stress thing--that's why I keep postponing my move. I have a job here, and I'm afraid that I won't be able to find a job in SF so I keep trying to save up more money. Not having a lot of savings and not having a job would be really stressful.

I'm still eating a ton, and my weight hasn't gone down (nor have I lost any inches). I've gained 2 pounds since I started eating a ton in mid-Feb., which isn't really too bad considering that the difference between counting and restricting all the time and eating a ton is only 2 pounds, but it's also possible that I'm continuing to slowly gain weight, which is definitely not good. But I'm also convinced that my recent weight problem is caused by my IUD, and I had that removed last Friday. So I'm giving my body time to normalize, and hopefully it will.

And GOT is the best!

Edited to add: Okay, that ^^^ picture is disturbing. Still waiting for your pix, YB!
    For sure!

Thing is: stress can't be avoided. It's inside us. What we can do is learn to identify it, and manage it. It's supposed to be triggered at important moments, but most people live in a chronic state of stress. I'm really paying attention to it right now, and I'm finding that the familiarisation with the sensations is helping me be aware of when I start to get stressed so I can then curb it.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    On the subject of oatmeal (since you said that you ate a lot of it), I ate a lot of oatmeal pre-primal too. And it's the one thing I really miss. And I really think that it helped me control my weight. I usually made a porridge out of it with eggs and sardines (I know this may sound disgusting) and hot sauce. Yeah, gross, I know. But I really liked it. Pefect fuel for races too. I've been thinking about buying some gluten-free oats and eating oatmeal again. But I feel like I've been so indoctrinated by primal/paleo that I can't do it. Crazy, huh.
    I used to LIVE on oatmeal. I would have it twice a day sometimes... I even had a famtasy that I'd open an Oatmeal restaurant, cos I had so many recipes! My favouite was oatmeal with oat milk, salt, pumkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, and brazil nuts. I don't eat any of those foods anymore (apart from the salt)!

Did you see the recipe for primal oatmeal I started? You could give that a try - it's good! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81549.html

Although honestly... if you really loved oatmeal...

Did you lose weight on Primal initially or why did you start this woe?

Pics on the way
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    OK! So here are some photos.

These pics are NOT me right now. They're taken a year ago, when I was about 10 lbs thinner. I was a vegan, and binged a few times a week on junk (Sigh) but my weight had been consistent for nearly a year (I had been quite underweight prior to that). When I went primal I cut more, then all hell broke loose.

Basically I think this would be an easy enough weight for me to maintain (once I lose all the weight i've gained since primal ) I was in the middle of my yoga training, so was just starting to build muscle. I have more now (under the flab).

This is basically so people in the fitness know-how can tell me how much I need to do to get the body of my yoga goddess on the previous page.

So here we have the body shots:
    XXXX
    XXXX

You can see I've got the start of a six pack, but I've also got a belly. This belly is impossible for me to shift... no matter how thin I get it's still there. (I know most women have this complaint but still...)

And here's the ass shot:
    XXXXX

I have a... "generous" derriere Unfortunately it has no muscle tone and it doesn't respond to exercise. I think I would need to do something pretty intense to get it in shape.

I have a slight curve in my lower spine which apparently can hamper the effectiveness of butt exercises.

Okay, tell me what I need to do! I'm taking the pics down in the morning.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-09-2013 at 03:42 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    "need to do"?
    nothing. nothing at all. live, breathe, eat. Try to do stuff that makes you happy.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post

Did you see the recipe for primal oatmeal I started? You could give that a try - it's good! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread81549.html

Although honestly... if you really loved oatmeal...

Did you lose weight on Primal initially or why did you start this woe?

Pics on the way
    I'm definitely going to try that. I have some bananas and can make it tomorrow morning. Don't have any frozen berries, but someone else on the thread said they used dark chocolate, which I have. Yum!

I started primal after reading about it a lot. It all made so much sense to me. At first, I lost a few pounds (3-4), but in retrospect, I'm sure it was all water weight. I switched to primal but wasn't restricting. When I occasionally did log my food intake on Fitday (guesstimating the quantities because I wasn't measuring or weighing my food), I always ate between 2100-2300 cals a day (but always less than 100 g carbs). When I didn't lose any more, I came to these forums to complain. I didn't hang out here constantly back then. People told me that I needed to start IFing. So I did. 16/8 at first, then 24-hour fasts. I did lose weight with the 24-hour fasts twice a week, and at my lowest, I was 13 pounds lighter than I am now. Then last June, I went to a college buddy's wedding in Chicago. All of my college friends are big foodies so we decided that it was going to be a 4-day weekend of food and booze. I gained a bit of weight after that, and I'm not sure what happened next, but I pretty much gained back everything I had lost. Then I complained on the forums again, and some people told me that maybe the 24-hour fasts broke my metabolism. So I went back to 16-hour fasts, which I still do a few times a week. I think the 16-hour fasts are pretty harmless.

Then I got the IUD (this was the very end of August) and gained even more weight (6 pounds). I'm only 5'4" so 6 pounds is a lot, especially since I gain it all in one place (waist/belly area). I still fit into jeans I had when I was in 9th grade so my hips/thighs don't really get fatter--it all goes to my belly. Anyway, then I tried VLC with carb-cycling. The high carb days would always turn into binge days because I'd be so deprived all week. That was not good. I also tried the potato hack. Whatever I did, I just couldn't lose any weight other than water weight. Then in mid-Feb, I decided that I'd had enough and stopped restricting. The binging stopped when I stopped restricting. And here I am now.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    YB - I can't help you at all with how much work you'd have to do because I've never really exerted myself a day in my life, butttttt, you look great. And I'm sure you still look great. Lots of love!

Serenity, I'm guessing it was not a hormone free IUD?

YB--Okay, first of all, you look REALLY good in those pics. Your abs are clearly visible in the first two pictures, and you barely have a belly at all. It's a teeny tiny one, and, yes, most women have at least that much belly. And a TON of women (myself included) would kill for abs that looked like that. I really would. I don't even think that I could ever look like that, and I've never been overweight (not since I was a kid, anyway).

So on a scale of increasing awesomeness:

YogaBare
    serenity's ideal bod
    what serenity looks like right now (haha!)

But, I realize that it's all relative. I mean, I've had people tell me that I look fine and that they would love to look like me, but it all means nothing cuz what I want is to look leaner. But, anyway, I think you look great in those pics, and even with 10 extra pounds you probably still look great.

You want to know how you can look like Malachi. I think part of how lean you can get has to do with genetics (especially for women, who are not meant to have super low body fat percentages). Malachi is pretty lean for a woman so I'm guessing that not everyone is genetically predisposed to looking like her. No reason why you couldn't though. Since you're already pretty thin, I think you may be able to do it by just working out. (People who have a lot of body fat will have to lose some of the fat first, but I don't think it's a big issue for you.) I don't know if she got that body just by doing yoga, but I'd recommend good old-fashioned weight lifting. Here is where my brainwashed mind tells you to do Crossfit. There are CF boxes in London: Looking for CrossFit gyms in London - CrossFit Discussion Board

Other people on MDA hate CF, and they may be right. I don't know enough about exercise programming to really be able to tell, but what I do know is that the female Crossfitters at my box who have been there for a while look damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Serenity, I'm guessing it was not a hormone free IUD?
    It was a hormone-free IUD (Paragard--copper), but I have a theory about why copper IUDs cause weight gain in some women. They actually cause chronic low-grade inflammation of the endometrium, and there are theories about how inflammation leads to weight gain so...Well, we'll see. It's possible that I'm wrong and am just blaming the IUD.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about getting an IUD because hormonal birth control really screws me up.. I've heard stories from complete opposite ends of the spectrum on those things. Some women love them, some cant stand them. Guess there's no way to know how it would affect me without trying it out...

Re: belly pooch. I think some women are just predisposed. My sister was pretty emaciated when she was in college - all she did was eat doritos during the day and drink beer at night. She looked like a bean pole but still had a belly pooch. It could have been the wheat, though, as she later found out she was gluten intolerant (like my mom and I) but who knows.