Page 62 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 62

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Waah, I've read about chocolate cravings really being a need for magnesium. I take mag supplements every day and I still get the chocolate cravings during my TOM.

Great news about your body comp and your non-bingeyness! Bad news about alcohol being a total BITCH!
    Cierra said the same thing and I reckon it's not Mg you're craving: it's sugar (or something else found in chocolate). Do you drink coffee? Maybe if you want chocolate try drinking that with refined sugar: it would give you your caffeine and sugar hit in one, and it would confirm or eliminate possibilities for what the craving is. You can always have some chocolate in addition
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    That's interesting about chocolate and magnesium, I didn't know. Funnily enough, the other day I was thinking about how chocolate is of no interest to me now whatsoever (choc biscuits or choc cake a different story, wheat cravings are different though I think). I used to love chocolate but it doesn't bother me now even slightly and I have no desire for it. About a year ago I had a twitching muscle in my eye which wouldn't go away so I dug into the mag sups and still take a daily dose now. I wonder if there's a correlation?

You haven't binged for 10 weeks, that is such a break through. Have you had the urge? If you did get the urge, would it be sudden or pre-meditated and a slow build up? Do you have any strategies for the onset of a binge mindset?

I have decided to give daily meditation a red hot go for my flighty cortisol levels as well. Sometimes I think I look like your weightlifter, but with more hair and maybe a bit slighter I have a feeling I ought to stop coffee (I know you did with no benefits) but I can't. I don't drink, smoke, do naughty things, I'm allowed coffee surely?

You drink a lot of coconut water - any specific reason? I had a weird craving for it the other day and thought the world might end if I didn't get it instantly.
    Definitely sounds like there's a link.

Wow, I didn't realise it was 10 weeks... that's incredible. You know what's interesting is that I had started to tackle the binging a month previously: I didn't binge for nearly a month, but it required a HUGE amount of will power (we were emailing at this time), then I had an emotional set back and I binged.

Now I don't feel I'm using will power at all: something has changed in my psyche. This is why I'm sure that curing addictions is not a case of fighting it and harnessing will power.

Now I'm getting cravings for specific foods, as opposed to a desire to binge. Sometimes the cravings are intense, but my proccupation is now just relieving the craving, instead of fighting the urge to binge. There have been a few times when I've really, really wanted chocolate, and I resisted because I was afraid it would end up being a binge, but I eventually allowed myself and found myself satiated after a couple of bites. I haven't had that experience since I was a kid! One bite of chocolate would end up costing 10K cals.

Does coffee make you feel more anxious? How much do you drink? Have you tried decaff?

Coconut water: I LOVE it! And I find it so hydrating. I get thirsty a lot, and often water doesn't cut it for me. I drink a liter a day lately... Ha, maybe you had a craving for it cos' I put the idea in your head?!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

FTF
    Entry 11.1: A Lil List

Eleven is my number, so while I'm here, I want to make a list of the successes so far, and where I'd like to go next.

Successes
    - Am regularly sleeping the night through! Might have 1-2 bad nights a week, compared to seven... I no longer consider that I have insomnia.
    - No binges Not quite there yet On several occasions have eaten trigger foods with no adverse effects.
    - Self perception: I don't think I'm fat!! (most of the time). Considering I thought I was fat when I weighed 30 lbs less than now, this is a pretty big deal.
    - Less obsessive about weight: not counting cals, not measuring myself every day. Freedom
    - Generally being kinder, and more loving to myself. Feel happier!

Aspirations
    - More sleep: Mostly getting six hours, would like to get between six - eight.
    - Energy crashes. Would looove to get these under control.
    - Peace with food: I'm improving here in leaps and bounds, but I still think about food a lot. I would like to have even less dependency on it.
    Stress: Would like to learn how different hormones feel in my body so I can identify what's going on and use awareness to separate the emotional response from hormones from the physical response.
    - Body comp: For a year I've had this pic as my computer user avatar, hoping that it would infiltrate my subconscious, ha

At one stage I was actually getting close to having the body that I wanted, but the price (starving myself) was too high. Do you think it's possible for me to get this body eating heathily and not exercising like a maniac? I want to get fit, but not spend seven days a week working out.

Here's hoping....
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-06-2013 at 11:36 AM.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Is that a weighted question?
    Good pun, but no im serious. Why would you think someone like him would have high cortisol or am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Good pun, but no im serious. Why would you think someone like him would have high cortisol or am i missing something?
    Ah, he could be a laid back dude in daily life... but in that pic he looks like he's about to blow a gasket..! You release cortisol in yoga, so I imagined he's releasing it in that pic (I don't know the science behind weight lifting).

Zach - how hard do you reckon the woman above trains to keep her body like that? She's a yoga teacher.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Oh ok. Yea im sure that intense exercise like that releases cortisol, ges got so much test pumping through him that im sure hes ok. Cortisol isnt always a bad thing, kinda like estrogen.

No clue, im sure its more diet then anything since she has very low bodyfat. Probably a vegan diet?

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Go fruitarian for a few months(or less, dunno where you're at now) and you'll hit that pretty easily.
    nihil

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Why would you say fruitarian as opposed to raw vegan, since fruits are usually more calorie dense than veggies?

I've been toying with the idea of eating raw fruits & veg mostly with just a bit of meat here and there...
    ideal calcium to phosphorus ratio and just generally more healthy(high fructose and sugar for thyroid maintenance)

plus vegetables taste real gross ;_;
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    No clue, im sure its more diet then anything since she has very low bodyfat. Probably a vegan diet?
    Very likely she's veggie if not vegan... She has such a wicked body: slim, supple and strong. Check out her moves: Malachi Melville Yoga

Maybe it's unrealistic for me... I imagine she has a very disciplined regime and diet.

Okay - I'm going to post a pic of me in my bikini from last year. I'm not going to leave it up for long though (I'm totally paranoid about someone who knows me sauntering across MDA and seeing my guts split across this journal). If I post it would you be able to estimate if I could get close to where she is and how much work it would require?

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Go fruitarian for a few months(or less, dunno where you're at now) and you'll hit that pretty easily.
    Do you think there's an adjustment period with just eating fruit? As you know I used to be vegan, and some days I would just eat fruit for dinner, but I was always starving afterwards.

Irrespective, I think I'm too unstable to ever have a restricted diet again.

- Ray Peat