Page 61 of 244 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 61

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    FTF
    Entry Nine: Return of the skinny jeans

Sleep:
    Weird sleep last night: 12.30am - 4.30am; 5am - 10am: 9 hours!

I haven't woken at 4.30am in what seems like ages. I was so pissed off when I woke: I presumed that was me up for the day. And I was hungry. I had a banana, peppermint tea with powered gelatine, made a few posts on MDA, started reading GOT, and suddenly conked out. Didn't wake up til 10am! I never sleep that late.

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Woke up hungry, but after that I wasn't hungry again til the evening.

4.30am - pre-breakfast: banana, pep tea w/ gelatine, lf milk, sugar.
    10.15am - Breakfast: Two primal pancakes (1 egg, 1 banana), fried in coconut oil, with maple syrup, half coffee w/ lf milk.
    6.00pm - Dinner: Lamb shank, 1 x boiled potato, 2 x grated raw carrots in apple cider vin, Coconut water (1 litre), coffee w/ lf milk
    9pm - white wine, 2 x g&ts
    12am - pep tea w/milk and sugar, half litre coconut water

Cravings: None!

Wonder if the lack of hunger and cravings are related to yesterday's cake in some way...

Energy and mood:
    Felt quite tired when I got up, but got on with things. Negative headspace.

Supps:
    Milk thistle 20 drps x1
    Vit D x 2

Body:
    Water retention: Bloated.
    Sinus - Fine.
    Skin - Hands still dry.
    Rosacea: Flushed at the gig (with alcohol)
    Lips - Flakey.
    Keratosis pilaris: Bumpy.
    Digestion - 1 BM (S)
    Temperature: Didn't check. I'm getting tired of dressing so warmly though. Tonight I didn't bother.

Fitness:
    30 min walk, 30 min cycle.

Stress:
    I felt fat today It was because I ate the cake last night. I know, I know - it's totally irrational! However, my friend gave me an Auruvedic massage, and I felt heaps better after that: engergised, and lifted from my negative thoughts.

It must have had a good effect, cos' I went out tonight wearing skinny jeans and a sleeveless top (that wasn't black!!!) The jeans were a little skinnier than usual, but at that point I didnt g.a.f.

Final thoughts:
    These are the guys I went to see tonight: Gipsy Rock

"I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Reading GOT puts even the biggest insomniac case to sleep
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Reading GOT puts even the biggest insomniac case to sleep
    WHAT???! Don't you like it?!

Choose your words carefully Yoda.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

FTF
    Entry Ten: Cortisol

Sleep:
    Bad last night: 1.30am - 5.30am. Alcohol!

However, when I woke up I had the very distinct sensation of being totally stressed out. My mind was racing, my thoughts were neurotic, and I felt panicky. Weird that in the past I would have gotten totally absorbed in these feelings, but this morning I recognised that it was just my stress hormones going wild and I was able to detach! Knowledge is power eh?

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Starving all day. Hangover!

5.30am - Breakfast: 2 x bananas, 2 x oranges, pep tea w/ lf milk, sugar, coffee w/ lf milk, half litre coconut water.
    12.30am - Lunch: Lamb shank, 2 x boiled potatoes, 3 x raw carrot salad w/ cilantro, coffee w/ lf milk.
    2.30pm - Snack: Banana, Coconut water (1 litre), coffee w/ lf milk
    5.30pm - Dinner: Risotto: 2 x cups rice, shrimp, mussels, calamari, 1 x grated raw carrots, parsley.
    7pm - 1 x raw carrot, pep tea w/milk and sugar

Cravings: Sugar, junk food!

I didn't acknowledge it last night, but it was another little victory that I got pissed and didn't binge when I came home! Normally alcohol is a trigger for me. I wonder if the reason I was so aware of the stress feeling when I woke was because I didn't have the excess food to blunt the feeling?

Energy and mood:
    Was productive in the morning (stress hormones): did lots of work, then had lunch and crashed. Got really cold, negative headspace... Then totally picked up in the evening. Because I was so hungry I got worried I was going to binge, but I didn't even overeat.

Supps:
    Vit D x 2
    Mg x 2. Ombat: You asked about knowing what I was craving - as an example - I was craving dark choc and that made me realise I needed Mg! I took two supps and the craving was gone.

Body:
    Water retention: Ridiculously bloated today. Stomach and face!!! I'll get to this in a minute...
    Sinus - Fine.
    Skin - Hands still dry.
    Rosacea: Little flush in the evening. I've started using Nappy Rash cream on my face at night: I've heard that it works on Rosacea. We'll see how it looks in a few weeks..
    Lips - Not too bad.
    Keratosis pilaris: Bumpy. Using NR cream there too.
    Digestion - Runs.
    Temperature: Didn't check.

Fitness:
    40 mins yoga. Meant to go for a walk but faded...

Stress:
    Because I woke up feeling so stressed, I started looking into the specific effects of cortisol on the body. Alcohol consumption can raise cortisol, and cortisol can cause facial swelling. I presumed it was adrenaline that was waking me, but now I'm guessing that both hormones, at different times, could be contributing to my sleep difficulties. Although to be fair, my sleep has been so good lately I don't even say I have insomnia anymore! It's a fragile thing that easily gets disturbed, but in general things have been way better on that front.

I soaked in a salt bath tonight and am going to bed early.

Final thoughts:

This guy could do with his cortisol being blunted...

OH - I totally forgot to mention: I've lost weight! Nearly an inch on my hips, and a full inch on my waist Scales are pretty much the same so I'm guessing I've put on muscle. It would make sense: I'm holding poses for longer in yoga.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 05-05-2013 at 04:04 PM.

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Yay, on the growing muscle and losing inches! What a major victory when restriction doesn't have to get involved

Zach is offline Banned
    Why do you think Mariusz Pudzianowski needs his cortisol blunted?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Waah, I've read about chocolate cravings really being a need for magnesium. I take mag supplements every day and I still get the chocolate cravings during my TOM.

Great news about your body comp and your non-bingeyness! Bad news about alcohol being a total BITCH!

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting about chocolate and magnesium, I didn't know. Funnily enough, the other day I was thinking about how chocolate is of no interest to me now whatsoever (choc biscuits or choc cake a different story, wheat cravings are different though I think). I used to love chocolate but it doesn't bother me now even slightly and I have no desire for it. About a year ago I had a twitching muscle in my eye which wouldn't go away so I dug into the mag sups and still take a daily dose now. I wonder if there's a correlation?

You haven't binged for 10 weeks, that is such a break through. Have you had the urge? If you did get the urge, would it be sudden or pre-meditated and a slow build up? Do you have any strategies for the onset of a binge mindset?

I have decided to give daily meditation a red hot go for my flighty cortisol levels as well. Sometimes I think I look like your weightlifter, but with more hair and maybe a bit slighter I have a feeling I ought to stop coffee (I know you did with no benefits) but I can't. I don't drink, smoke, do naughty things, I'm allowed coffee surely?

You drink a lot of coconut water - any specific reason? I had a weird craving for it the other day and thought the world might end if I didn't get it instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Yay, on the growing muscle and losing inches! What a major victory when restriction doesn't have to get involved
    I'm finding that I'm fluxtuating up and down a lot, but my "lows" keep getting lower Are you finding that too? It feels like my body is adjusting a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Why do you think Mariusz Pudzianowski needs his cortisol blunted?
    Is that a weighted question?

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    I wish mag. C would work for my chocolate cravings... I want chocolate every day!

That's amazing that you've got some good body recomp going your way, looks like your stint of eating more paid off

Ohh and I was gonna ask if you still did any dry brushing? I stopped whenever my skin started getting bad (zits), but I was wondering if you had any chances with that.

I'm so happy that your bingeing is subsiding even if v you still have stress. I wonder what you would categorize as a binge, though, instead of just calling it overeating? I still have trouble deciding what happened when I eat too much; I never know if my body actually needed it due to previous restriction. <3
    Well, my cravings were for dark chocolate, which I know is loaded with Mg. Maybe you're just craving sugar? Have you tried having a coffee with refined sugar when you have a chocoate craving? That would give you your caffeine and sugar hit in one, and it would confirm or eliminate possibilities for what the craving is. I'm all about trusting the wisdom of the body!

Binging for me is not about the amount of food: it's about the mentality and loss of control. It's a heightened state of emotion, bordering on mania. THe experience is incredibly exhilarating for me: I feel like I'm saying fuck it and I can eat what I want, my senses get overloaded with pleasure, then the aftermath is guilt, shame, loathing. So a binge is basically when I'm treating food like a drug. We had a big discussion on MDA about this a while back: knifegill started a thread which he never realised could be triggering for people. I got so angry about it, but it was good for me ultimately cos' it was just when I was starting to admit I had a problem and it was great to talk about it. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77284.html

During this whole period of journalling I had so many days where I ate a ton, but probably only two days that came remotely close to binges. And thinking back on them now, they were only the shadow of my former past, compared to what I use to be. I'm still hoping that my appetite will regulate more: I eat so much! But I'm not trying to control it: something is happening just by letting my body do what it wants. I need to be patient. Hope some of this is helpful!

I was actually going to mention the dry brushing actually - still doing it religiously once or twice a day! It's gotten rid of the sun wrinkles I had on my legs and feet, and overall my skin is a lot softer. I think it's also helping with reducing water retention in some places. Hasn't helped my circulation though. How are you getting on with it?

And thanks for the encouragement

- Ray Peat