Page 6 of 244 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 6

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Delurking to say hello, been following a while (I lurk in lots of different places!). I shall continue to read with interest. GOOD LUCK.
    Thanks Badger girl That's ironic - I actually had a lurk on your journal yesterday! I don't really follow the journals, but I really liked your writing style and I planned to catch up on yours. So I'll be popping in to say hello soon
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Zach, I'm getting my bloods (including thyroid) done next week. tbh I'm not sure if anything will come up as in the UK I don't think they take the full hormone profile... We'll see. My doctor is the stereotypical "Why-are-you-asking-me-about-LDL-when-I-told-you-your-total" kind of guy so I may have to be pushy, ha.

I use fitday and I'm always 100-400% over the RDA on everything except... yeah, my vit D and calcium. They're always less than 20%. I started supplementing both two weeks ago, and ironically that's when my nails first broke! It just seems weird that this never happened before and it's started now. I thought maybe it was a sign my body was healing (and shedding?) but maybe that's a bit illogical...
    What are the two supplements you are taking?

Will be interested to hear the test results, even i it is just TSH. My guess is you are hypo, at least a bit. What is your resting pulse like?

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    What are the two supplements you are taking?

Will be interested to hear the test results, even i it is just TSH. My guess is you are hypo, at least a bit. What is your resting pulse like?
    Calcium and Vit D! (I was also taking Alfalfa, but I stopped cos' I've been peeing more than I ever have in my life and I thought it was acting as a dietetic {it wasn't}). Resting pulse is normal - 75 bpm... Not a hypo symptom...

I was actually researching whether an increase in appetite is a symptom in hypothyroidism, and it turns out that in some cases it is. Then I thought "fuck this". This is the danger of self-diagnosis and researching on the internet. There's a myriad of symptoms that apply to countless ailments...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Hey, I was reading this article and remembered that you had a low-ish body temperature. I thought this *might be helpful for you in some way....

How to Tell If You’re Inflamed: Objective and Subjective Inflammatory Markers | Mark's Daily Apple

This is the part that made me think this might be beneficial to you:

"Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome Score

There’s the systemic inflammatory response syndrome, which is incredibly serious and has four criteria. If you have two or more of them at once, congratulations: you qualify – and should probably see a health professional immediately. This isn’t relevant for low-grade systemic inflammation, like the kind associated with obesity or autoimmune disease.

Body temperature less than 96.8 F (36 C) or greater than 100.4 F (38 C).
    Heart rate above 90 beats per minute.
    High respiratory rate, 20 breaths per minute or higher.
    White blood cell count fewer than 4000 cells/mm≥ or greater than 12,000 cells/mm≥."

I don't know about your heart rate, respiratory rate, or WBC count, buuuut, maybe you do! And more of this will ring true for you, and help you in your journey of health.
    Hey Cierra, Thanks for this! Actually inflammation is a danger zone for me - I have a genetic predisposition to it. Did a DNA test in South Africa and it said I was at high risk for it. Maybe I should get my CPR checked when I get my bloods done next week...

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Eleven: Appetite

Catching up from yesterday - was too tired to do this last night.

Sleep:
    Slept well, but not long enough... 12.30am to 7am. Was woken by my little doggie coming up to say hello.

Temperature:
    Didn't check.

Food:
    CALS |FAT | CARBS | PROT
    3919 | 134.9 | 497.2 |172.4

Egg, whole, fried 3 large
    262 20 1 19
    Cheese, edam 20 grams
    71 6 0 5
    Pate, liver, not specified, canned 100 grams
    319 28 2 14
    Milk, whole 1 cup
    146 8 11 8
    Potato soup 3 cup
    311 11 43 11
    Orange juice, freshly squeezed 3.5 cup
    391 2 90 6
    Butter 1 tablespoon
    102 12 0 0
    Shrimp, cooked 300 grams
    432 7 4 83
    Rice, cooked 2.5 cup, cooked
    532 4 109 10
    Coconut milk (brand: cocofresh) 450 grams
    359 28 5 3
    White potato 2 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)
    346 8 65 6
    Banana, raw 2 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
    210 1 54 3
    Orange, raw 4 medium (2-5/8" dia)
    246 1 62 5
    Honey 3 tablespoon
    192 0 52 0

I need to be more patient with myself. Progress isn't linear, but I keep expecting to see improvements every day.

Today started with excitement, because I wasn't able to finish my breakfast, or lunch. Even though I'd eaten moderate amounts, I felt stuffed, and I jumped to the conclusion that my hunger cues were balancing and my appetite was starting to regulate. But then I was insatiable at dinner - I ate a small mountain of rice and Thai green curry and didn't feel remotely stuffed. Meanwhile my mum was so full that she couldn't walk!

I was also really thirsty today - couldn't get enough fluids.

And at the end of the day:
    "When you love your body, you love life".
    I was reading through my Yoga training notes and I found that line from my teacher. I think that's my new objective in this experiment - to focus on loving my body, however it may look. To do what's best for it, and not think of how that will impact it cosmetically, but of how it will benefit its vibrant health.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Twelve: The Ecstasy of a Half-Eaten Tomato

"What a ridiculous title", I imagine you thinking. And yeah, it is. Could you foresee that "not finishing a piece of fruit" would bring someone joy? That being able to eat something, and realise you don't want any more, could make someone feel liberated and powerful? Yip. It's sad. But it does!

I dream of being a person who can eat, and stop eating, without psychological enforcement. Without control or abandonment of control. With nothing but intuitive awareness of the satisfaction of their body. I don't remember glimpsing that person within me in the last 13 years. However, over the last two days... I think I have.

I think.

Sleep:
    Great sleep last night - tribute to the Thai feast we had! Slept soundly from 11.30pm to 7am, then dozed for another two hours.

Temperature:
    Still haven't asked my parents for a thermometer.

Food:
    CALS |FAT | CARBS | PROT
    Totals | 3085 | 145.3 | 230.8 | 213.4

Orange, raw 1 medium (2-5/8" dia)
    62 0 15 1
    Grapefruit, raw 2 medium (approx 4" dia)
    164 1 41 3
    Potato soup 3 cup
    311 11 43 11
    Butter 0.5 tablespoon
    51 6 0 0
    Egg, whole, poached 1 large
    71 5 0 6
    White potato 2.5 medium (2-1/4" to 3" dia, raw)
    433 10 81 7
    Ground beef, lean, cooked 250 grams
    672 44 0 64
    Banana, raw 1 extra large (9" or longer)
    135 1 35 2
    Pork, cooked 330 grams
    893 56 0 90
    Chicken liver, fried 100 grams
    261 12 8 28
    Sugar, raw 1 teaspoon
    15 0 4 0
    Tomatoes, raw 0.5 large whole (3" dia)
    16 0 4 1

It feels like food is losing its hold on me. I notice I'm not thinking about it as much, I'm not eating three huge meals anymore, and some kind of satiation system seems to be kicking in. However, I could easily fall back into restriction mode. Every day I'm quietly hoping that I'll consume fewer calories and I'm happy when I do. I need to allow myself to be free. I know that this is all very tender, and it can easily come undone.

Derp gave me good and simple advice on the "Women who eat a ton" thread that stayed with me: "Eat until you feel better." Even writing these words makes me want to cry because I feel so pathetic at being enmeshed in something so innocuous! I've often wished that I'd gotten addicted to something else in my life, but cigarettes, alcohol, drugs - even though I had dependencies, I gave them all up pretty easily. Whereas food...

Food was my drug, food was my destruction.

And at the end of the day:
    I think my energy is picking up - today was the first day in ages when I really wanted to do my yoga practice. I think being at home is helping me a lot. Partially because I'm wearing a tracksuit, not seeing people my own age, and so don't have to think too much about my appearance, ha All I feel I have to do is focus on loving myself.

486670303452913061_WjNpJfaS.jpg

PS. A few minutes ago I opened my email account and saw: "Can side salads make you fat?"

I unsubscribed from those emails. No more.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-13-2013 at 02:55 AM.

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Good call on unsubscribing! At this time my answer might be, yes, side salads can make you fat - because it isn't ENOUGH food!!

Glad to hear your energy might be coming back, that is great news

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Good call on unsubscribing! At this time my answer might be, yes, side salads can make you fat - because it isn't ENOUGH food!!

What she said.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Cierra, Thanks for this! Actually inflammation is a danger zone for me - I have a genetic predisposition to it. Did a DNA test in South Africa and it said I was at high risk for it. Maybe I should get my CPR checked when I get my bloods done next week...
    I meant the brands of supplements. Sometimes supplements can be dangerous if they are a less the optimal kind or have certain fillers.

You might also have an imbalance of something causing the finger nail breaks.

Anyway, congrats on your current status! Seems a bit comical that you would compare an addiction to food with cigs, booze and drugs. How can you be addicted to something you absolutely need to survive? I truly believe that in almost every case that binging and "food addiction" is actually nust a subconcious manifestion from malnutrition. Thats how powerful your body and mind are and how bad they need nutriants.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    What she said.
    Ha It was a subscription to that "Real Age" diet. I must have signed up 5 years ago or something and kept dipping into the articles. But it's seriously not helpful to read all these "tips". Just fuels the obsession.

Thanks to both of you for the well wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I meant the brands of supplements. Sometimes supplements can be dangerous if they are a less the optimal kind or have certain fillers.

You might also have an imbalance of something causing the finger nail breaks.

Anyway, congrats on your current status! Seems a bit comical that you would compare an addiction to food with cigs, booze and drugs. How can you be addicted to something you absolutely need to survive? I truly believe that in almost every case that binging and "food addiction" is actually nust a subconcious manifestion from malnutrition. Thats how powerful your body and mind are and how bad they need nutriants.
    Oh, the brands! They're British companies - one is Health Aid (Vit D) HealthAid Vitamins : Vitamin D 500iu Tablets. I also take their Chromium one occasionally, if I feel I need it. The other one is ummm... Tesco own brand Calcium and Vit D! Probably not the best. And this is the Alfalfa one: Solgar - Alfalfa 600mg 100 Tablets - The Nutri Centre

To be honest though, I took the supps for about ten days and then tapered off. Haven't taken any in about five days. I'm of the opinion that we don't need them. A little boost every now and again is probably good and I take them by instinct. Habitual use probably isn't that great. They are pills after all...

Thanks Zach And you make good points... It's a great way to look at it - that food can't be an addiction. But I often think that there are plenty of people out there who must be malnourished. Why don't they develop ED's?

I agree with you that the physiological factor is significant, but I believe the root cause for any addiction is emotional, and this subsequently effects the body. Using food as an example: stress prevents adequate absorption of micronutrients, over a prolonged period of time this results in malnutrition, which in turn impacts the mind. It's a viscous cycle...

An addiction is a compulsive physiological and psychological need for a substance. It's using an external substance to escape internal discomfort: people can also do it with sex or exercise, both of which are healthy activities, but the devil is in the dosage and the spirit in which it's done...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.

- Ray Peat

Page 6 of 244 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast