Page 51 of 244 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 51

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi, YB and all. I just found this in a thread by a poster named Kelda. (The thread title starts with "Too useful to be buried in a thread...") Just wanted to share it as most of us here can probably reeeeeally identify! The blog looks pretty good, too.

Hormones, Homeostasis, and Why You (Probably) Need Carbs :: stumptuous.com

Hope all is well, YB. Haven't been able to read much but hoping to catch up on your journal soon.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

ombat is offline Senior Member
    My biggest fear is regret on my deathbed. Which is why I hope to be hit by a bus.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    My biggest fear is regret on my deathbed. Which is why I hope to be hit by a bus.
    Ha! I like the way you think.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    Yes! Because it's not about the food really - is it? Food is not the enemy, nor is it going to fix or save me.

I have been vey aware of my potential for orthorexia since starting this woe, but in actual fact it hasn't happened. I've learned gradually that grains do upset my digestion and I'm slowly, very slowly, learning which foods I really do like and which ones I don't like. That might sound daft, but I still don't really know. I might snort a packet of choc chip cookies, but I don't really like them. I do know I like eggs, I like lamb, I like peppers. I'm not sure what else I genuinely like

I did start this because I wanted Primal to fix me. It hasn't - sadly, and I can't fix myself either until I accept that I need to surrender my weight and my fear of gaining it and start eating 3 meals a day. I think the biggest danger for my with Primal/Paleo is the endorsement of IFing, legitimate starvation for health reasons. It's a hateful thing and the worst thing about primal for me. I never used to do it at all (actually, I did sometimes) but now I do it most days and it has interfered with my natural hunger responses and actually taught me to override them more easily.

If you could take a pill that would give you the exact calories and nutrients you needed for the day and you wouldn't feel hungry till the next day, would you take it? I don't think I would, but sometimes I think it would be easier to get rid of the food.
    There was a time when I would have said "yes" to the pill, but now I'm not so sure... It would be convenient! :P

When you say you don't know what foods you like, I kind of know what you mean. I like absolutely every food under the sun and I don't think that's normal either, so probably i've overridden my natural responses to food too. How are you hoping to get them back?

I know what you mean about the IFing. It should come with a caveat: do not attempt if you've had a history with ED. 48 hour fasts become the norm for me. Unfortunately they were followed by two day binges When I think back to that period of my life it seems like a living hell. It was. Being 14 lbs heavier has never felt so good as it does this second.

That's good you haven't gone down the ortho route. I definitely did, and it's way too easy to slip into it on this site. I'm completely sick of the weight loss / nutrition thing... it's just trying to control. The most important thing to work on is stress reduction I think.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I'd say those are the regrets of the living, also (perhaps I'm just speaking for me). But, truly, see how much 'I' is in these, not so great and uplifting really, when you think that all of these boil down to I wish I'd been more self-centred (except the work one, maybe).
    I think it's great that you're aware of your regrets already! Then you can do something about it. Most people go through life chasing their tale and don't realise what they've missed until they're on their death bed. (These points were actually taken from this article).
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by GoJenGo View Post
    Hi, YB and all. I just found this in a thread by a poster named Kelda. (The thread title starts with "Too useful to be buried in a thread...") Just wanted to share it as most of us here can probably reeeeeally identify! The blog looks pretty good, too.

Hormones, Homeostasis, and Why You (Probably) Need Carbs :: stumptuous.com

Hope all is well, YB. Haven't been able to read much but hoping to catch up on your journal soon.
    HA - thank you! That article is completely where my head is at. What I'm working towards at the moment is stress reduction, and integrating body, mind and energy

Hope you're well too! I'm definitely see that I'm making progress now, so things are good

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Shaggar (about to kill Tyrion): "How would you like to die, Tyrion, son of Tywin?"
    Tyrion: "In my own bed, at the age of 80, with a belly full of wine and a girls mouth around my cock?"

Wouldn't it be better to live life without regret? Easier said than done, of course.

- Ray Peat

FTF
    Entry Six: Glide

Here's how yesterday went:

Sleep:
    12.30am - 6am: 5.5 hours. An okay sleep. I think I need to go to bed earlier as I seem programmed to wake at 6. Hmmm, dja vu. I've said this before, haven't I?

I'm hoping that this isn't the start of the downturn: my sleep starting to shorten. Unfortunately I had some wine tonight, so that might effect it again... Maybe I should take a sleeping pill...

Temperature:
    I'm putting a lot of emphasis on keeping my belly and lower back warm. My current theory is that excess fat accumulates on the areas that need insulation, and people carry belly fat cos' the stomach needs to be warm to work. Whenever I'm at home now my belly is wrapped in blankets. I'm hoping this will encourage my body to lose the weight from there. I can dream, can't I?

Energy and mood:
    Feeling great, relaxed, energetic, positive, full of love and hope

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Was pretty un-hungry today. At 10ish I could have snacked but I didn't let myself. At dinner time I wasn't hungry! But I made myself eat a decent sized meal, cos' I know my pattern now: when energy goes up, hunger goes down, I start to under eat, then sleep gets bad, then energy crashes and binging ensues. So I'm taking it easy and making sure to eat enough this time.

7am - Breakfast: Banana, orange, coffee.
    10am - Hot water with lemon and a pinch of sugar.
    12pm - Lunch: Veal with gravy, three potatoes, an egg, Coffee.
    6.30pm - Dinner: One boiled potato, three fried eggs, half a courgette, mustard (I'm trying to cut down on fat, as per Zach's suggestion).
    8pm - White wine
    12am - peppermint tea with milk and sugar. Don't knock it til you try it!

Cravings: Iron! At dinner time. Wasn't bothered buying and cooking meat so took a supp.

I've realised that white wine is the easiest thing for me to drink. Red wine gives me rosacea flare ups, beer gives me acne, and spirits are for parties...

Supps:
    Milk thistle 20 drps x1
    Liquid Iron
    Vit D x 2
    Mg x1

Body:
    Something's happening. I feel thinner. Nothing shown on the scales, but I think I'm deflating.

I read a while ago that fat goes "squishy" right before you lose. I'm noticing this.

Face - In the last few days I noticed the introduction of a little double chin. However, the rest of my face is thinner. It feels like I've lost water weight and just the fat is left.
    Bloat - ballooned after dinner.
    Skin - Hands dry again
    Rosacea: Okay today. Mild flare up with the wine.
    Lips - Very dry.
    Keratosis pilaris: Bumpy.
    Digestion - Great! (3mnad)

Fitness:
    50 mins morning walk, 20-30 mins yoga, 30 mins cycling.

Stress:
    I listened to a really interesting podcast / webinar today. It's about how women how women don't function well when they try to run off adrenaline because they're trying to implement a male success model. Men work really well from a "fight" survival instinct, the idea is that when women try to operate from this mode they get extremely burnt out. Women need to operate from a place of ease. Not laziness, or easiness, but a state of relaxation and love. It's a really interesting concept. Check it out here! What is The Female Success Model?

Final thoughts:
    If anyone knows how I could go about getting an American visa (short of selling myself to some old kodger), please let me know!! California, here I come.

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    What sort of visa do you want, YB?

Just look at the immigration web site for the US, and see what you might qualify for. Could be a lot of different visas. That being said, a lot of people come to the US via Canada -- so you could go to Canada first, then the US thereafter. I don't exactly know how it works, but it seems to be what a lot of scientist and doctor friends of my family do.

I can, btw, highly recommend australia and NZ.

I've been working this thing called postural patterning. I"m learning that a lot of my physical struggles have to do with postural problems -- things I didn't really know that I had. It's powerful work. Come to NZ and I'll get you indoctrinated.

It's solving some stomach/breathing/shoulder problems I've had for most of my life. Interesting, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    What sort of visa do you want, YB?

Just look at the immigration web site for the US, and see what you might qualify for. Could be a lot of different visas. That being said, a lot of people come to the US via Canada -- so you could go to Canada first, then the US thereafter. I don't exactly know how it works, but it seems to be what a lot of scientist and doctor friends of my family do.

I can, btw, highly recommend australia and NZ.

I've been working this thing called postural patterning. I"m learning that a lot of my physical struggles have to do with postural problems -- things I didn't really know that I had. It's powerful work. Come to NZ and I'll get you indoctrinated.

It's solving some stomach/breathing/shoulder problems I've had for most of my life. Interesting, huh?
    Thanks Zoe I want a work visa. I havent looked at the site ina while, but there's no visa that I'm really eligible for. It's rreally hard to get an American visa from what I know - I think to get a working visa you need to already have a job in place, and be sponsored by someone. But for a company to give you a job they need to prove that no one else in the country can do it (or something ridiculous like that).

Ha - thank you for the invite! I would actually love to come to NZ and train with you - your yoga background is amazing. Where in NZ are you? What puts me off NZ is I have the impression that it's not super cosmopolitan. Weather and beaches are a must in my future living place, but I also need somewhere buzzing...

I actually did a series of Rolfing treatments a while back: found it quite amazing. I definitely agree that our body feeds our mentality. Interestingly, I was doing yoga the other day, and I suddenly slid really far into the straddle splits. It was out of no where - I went down about five inches more that I've ever gone before! Releasing stuff from the body? Maybe...

- Ray Peat