Page 5 of 244 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 5

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sounds like you're taking the power and excitement out of the binge. Like it's no fun anymore since it is allowed now. Good stuff. Good luck with your mum. If it helps, I used to place an imaginary plastic bubble where her words and actions couldn't get out to bother me. It really worked well. She could say anything and I just didn't care.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Sounds like you're taking the power and excitement out of the binge. Like it's no fun anymore since it is allowed now. Good stuff. Good luck with your mum. If it helps, I used to place an imaginary plastic bubble where her words and actions couldn't get out to bother me. It really worked well. She could say anything and I just didn't care.
    Thanks PM Yeah, I feel like something is changing... which is good. How are things going for you?

Things are going well with my Mum. To be honest, we have a good relationship, but this only happened in the last two years, and my attitude to her is residually defensive, even though she has changed a lot in her behaviour towards me.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Don't worry about your "verbal regurgitation," this is your journal and you should very well document your emotions and feelings on any and every level! It really helps to read them back to understand the course of your experiment fully and remind yourself of the point of your journey. It really might seem like you're eating too much, and maybe it would be a lot if your body had never experienced stress in relation to food, but since it's been deprived of nutrients for so long, and finally, it has them, your body may very well be screaming for nutrition for a long time. My only bit of advice is to definitely listen to the hunger signals, but try to feed that hunger with the most nutrient dense foods you can get your hands on.

As for you not really knowing what result you're looking for in your experiment -- that's okay, too! A lot of people start down a path looking for one thing, getting a bit lost on the way, but discovering something else that's just as well, maybe even better than what they were searching for in the first place! You may end your quest for "normalcy" with food because you learn how to distinguish hunger pangs from loneliness/anger/fatigue/etc. as soon as the emotion arises; you may find that a certain combination of macronutrients is PERFECT for your health and happiness; you may find that your body settles at a weight higher than what you may not believe to be ideal but makes you feel absolutely energized... or an infinite number of alternate endings that we could discuss forever. All's I'm saying is that I honestly think that the benefits are going to be greater than the consquence (which is only gaining weight. not the end of the world contrary to popular belief, and very fixable.) Keep your chin up and weather through this bout of hardship, better times are SURE to come.

(Also, if you want me to stop flooding your journal, we can start to private message one another if it's more comfortable for you. Or... I can just leave you be and be a silent cheerleader, haha. I'll always be routing for what's best for you!)
    Hey Cierra,

Sorry for the late reply to this one - it slipped under my radar somehow! Thank you sooo much for the advice - I know I have to keep going through this even though it's hard... but I actually am starting to feel some kind of hope because I am seeing that every day is different. This is completely new terrain, and that's positive, because I'm not just doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results (that's how Paleo Mom started the whole "Women who eat a ton without gaining" thread

And you're so right that answers come in ways we don't expect. This experiment is a journey, and it brings something new every day. I had two strange experiences over the last two days, that make me think my attitude to food is changing. Obviously it's early days yet - I know I need to keep this up for much longer than I originally planned, so we'll see what happens. The journal is brilliant to have as a catalog.

DON"T feel like you're "flooding" my journal! I love your input and it's great to have you on my side. Go team, eh?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks PM Yeah, I feel like something is changing... which is good. How are things going for you?

Things are going well with my Mum. To be honest, we have a good relationship, but this only happened in the last two years, and my attitude to her is residually defensive, even though she has changed a lot in her behaviour towards me.
    I'm good thanks. Huge turning point actually. I realized that in an unfortunate coincidence, I started eating sprouted potatoes around the same time I started this new way of eating. My fatigue was getting worse and I had a few days where I was only out of bed for a few hours and heart palpitations were starting and getting worse all the time. I finally started noticing that it was worse right after the potatoes. I looked up potatoes and palpitations and read about the connection with sprouted potatoes. I had thought all I needed was to peel them really good, but I guess the whole potato is garbage. Glad I figured that out! I've continued to eat non sprouted potatoes with no problems. About 24 hours after the last sprouted potato my energy came right back and the palpitations went away. Now I'm wondering how much of the fatigue was the extra calories and how much was the darn sprout potatoes! No more 50# boxes of pototoes!! I'm not super energetic but I do feel about as good as my previous "mild energy" days were.

I finally reached the 1 month mark, so now I can compare my body temp to the same time of my cycle last month. I'm consistently .5 a degree higher!

Sorry if that was too much for in your journal!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    I'm good thanks. Huge turning point actually. I realized that in an unfortunate coincidence, I started eating sprouted potatoes around the same time I started this new way of eating. My fatigue was getting worse and I had a few days where I was only out of bed for a few hours and heart palpitations were starting and getting worse all the time. I finally started noticing that it was worse right after the potatoes. I looked up potatoes and palpitations and read about the connection with sprouted potatoes. I had thought all I needed was to peel them really good, but I guess the whole potato is garbage. Glad I figured that out! I've continued to eat non sprouted potatoes with no problems. About 24 hours after the last sprouted potato my energy came right back and the palpitations went away. Now I'm wondering how much of the fatigue was the extra calories and how much was the darn sprout potatoes! No more 50# boxes of pototoes!! I'm not super energetic but I do feel about as good as my previous "mild energy" days were.

I finally reached the 1 month mark, so now I can compare my body temp to the same time of my cycle last month. I'm consistently .5 a degree higher!

Sorry if that was too much for in your journal!
    Not too much at ALL! I love all the input from everyone - it's making the journal an experience encyclopedia And it's great to hear how you're doing.

That's so weird about the spuds... It's a shame in a way, as it would be interesting to know what you're energy would have been like without them. I'm feeling less and less inclination to exercise: mostly because I'm feeling really tired, but because I feel uncoordinated in this new body, and too embarrassed to get into my bikini for a swim

That's amazing about your body temp! I'm looking into this a lot more now... very interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "solidly". As for nutrient dense, yes. I had no idea I was so deprived of basic vitamins. I was eating a LOT of liver for - I forget now - weeks, or months. And it was an angelic moment the day I realized I didn't want any, I'd saturated my body with B vitamins and more, and my constant urge to eat, eat, eat was suddenly held at bay. My whole body feels heavier now, I am solid, my bones take more work to move through space and my muscles have grown to move them. It's a whole new body!
    That's great Knife Yeah, by "solidly" I mean clean and steady. So glad you're feeling better and better!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 04:16 PM.

- Ray Peat

E.M.T.W.L

Entry Ten: Going Loco

Sleep:
    Great last night! Slept soundly from 11.30am - 7.30am. The vivid dreams have stopped, as have the night sweats.

Temperature:
    Average temp was 35.9C (96.62F).

The low body temp has gotten me thinking. See, for years I've been trying to work out why I can't seem to regulate my body temperature. I freeze in the cold, and die in the heat. I sweat a lot, whether I'm in the snow or the tropics. The heat always rises to my upper body, my legs are always cold.

Could the reason I struggle to get warm, yet overreact to heat be because my body has 'set' to a low temp? So whenever I start to get a little bit hotter than that, my body reacts with "cooling down" mechanisms? The result being that I don't produce enough heat, but when I'm exposed to an "alien" heat source (climate, radiator, food, exercise) my body reacts to the heat as a foreign invader, and dissipates it rapidly, leaving me with a perpetually low temperature? This could explain why I was having the night sweats.

I also noticed earlier that I didn't eat for quite a while, and after my hunger signals had been kicking off for about an hour, my body temp suddenly plummeted. I got absolutely freezing, and couldn't warm up for hours. Once I got warm, I felt happier. Is there a connection between body temp and happiness? (I know that sounds basic, but I don't mean it in the obvious sense of "if you're cold, you're a bit more miserable. I mean metabolically.)

If anyone has thoughts I'd love to hear them... I'll prob start a thread on this in a few days once I've researched it more.

Food:
    CALS |FAT | CARBS | PROT
    3111 |124.1 | 352.4 | 164.3

Orange, raw 2 medium (2-5/8" dia)
    123 0 31 2
    Sweetpotato 5 medium (2" dia, 5" long, raw)
    680 19 119 12
    Pate, liver, not specified, canned 120 grams
    383 34 2 17
    Tuna, fresh, steamed or poached 2 steak (6-3/4" x 2-1/2" x 1")
    407 4 0 88
    Egg, whole, poached 1 medium
    63 4 0 6
    Egg, whole, poached 1 medium
    63 4 0 6
    Artichoke, globe (French), cooked 12 heart
    227 8 37 11
    Raspberries, frozen 1 cup
    258 0 65 2
    Banana, raw 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
    105 0 27 1
    Butter 3 tablespoon
    305 35 0 0
    Potato soup 3 cup
    311 11 43 11
    Milk, 2% fat 1 cup
    122 5 11 8
    Honey 1 tablespoon
    64 0 17 0

Had another interesting experience with food today. I had to wait a while for lunch, cos' I was on a plane, so I was starving by the time I landed. When I got home, the house was in total chaos. My parents are doing renovations, and there were painters, cleaners, carpet washers everywhere. I instantly got really stressed out and... lost my appetite.

I think the last time I lost my appetite due to stress was seven years ago when I broke up with my first boyfriend. Normally as soon as I get stressed I want to eat! So it was a totally rare experience. I didn't end up eating lunch until 3.30... and I still wasn't hungry.

This is different. This feels like something's changing.

Other observations:
    Unfortunately I lost another big chunk of hair today, and all my nails broke again. This happened 11 days ago as well...

I used to lose hair all the time when I was vegetarian, but it stopped as soon as I cut out gluten and beans. "All-my-nails-breaking" never happened to me before last week! So I'm not sure what to make of this. I've never eaten this well for this length of time before. You wouldn't expect something like that to be happening...

And at the end of the day:
    I was really teary again for most of today. I actually shed a few tears on the plane. My mum knows something is up, cos she said I looked tired, but in a caring way, and has generally been a sweet heart. She hasn't noticed that I've put on so much weight, and even told me I didn't have any wrinkles! ha. Maybe I do have body dysmorphia.
    Last edited by YogaBare; 03-26-2013 at 12:37 AM.

- Ray Peat

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    YogaBare - I am LOVING your journaling and your journeying.

Zach is offline Banned
    Two things, have you been checked for hypothyroidism?

Also what website are you using to track calories? If they have a vitamin and mineral section, see if you are over or under on anything and also how are your vitamin D levels?

All these things could have a connection with your temp, nails and hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post
    YogaBare - I am LOVING your journaling and your journeying.
    So glad you're on it with me Dex. X

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Two things, have you been checked for hypothyroidism?

Also what website are you using to track calories? If they have a vitamin and mineral section, see if you are over or under on anything and also how are your vitamin D levels?

All these things could have a connection with your temp, nails and hair.
    Hey Zach, I'm getting my bloods (including thyroid) done next week. tbh I'm not sure if anything will come up as in the UK I don't think they take the full hormone profile... We'll see. My doctor is the stereotypical "Why-are-you-asking-me-about-LDL-when-I-told-you-your-total" kind of guy so I may have to be pushy, ha.

I use fitday and I'm always 100-400% over the RDA on everything except... yeah, my vit D and calcium. They're always less than 20%. I started supplementing both two weeks ago, and ironically that's when my nails first broke! It just seems weird that this never happened before and it's started now. I thought maybe it was a sign my body was healing (and shedding?) but maybe that's a bit illogical...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-25-2013 at 04:17 PM.

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Delurking to say hello, been following a while (I lurk in lots of different places!). I shall continue to read with interest. GOOD LUCK.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Page 5 of 244 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast