Page 48 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 48

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by VacillateWildly View Post
    In a river
    Ha - nice I was going to start a thread about this, but then I thought I might get "moderated" (for the third time!)
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Yup Zoe, did your husband have stomach problems pre-Primal?

Also, what does DH stand for??? "Dear Husband"? I've always wondered.
    DH is "dear husband" and it's a very old internet what-not. It's from back in the 90s!

Anyway, we went primal because of DH's stomach problems. When he started working with his naturopath, she took him off of all of the things listed (didn't I list them above? grains, dairy, sugar, caffeine) and then gave him a gut recolonization protocol as well (lots of herbal tinctures and teas what nots plus some biofilm break-down thingy, plus then fermented food regimen and bone broths, etc).

She initially said "gluten free" and when I did the research on it, instead of going to gluten free bread, etc, i realized that it would be much easier to just go grain free altogether. Now that he's about 2 years in, he's seen a huge reduction in a zillion symptoms, and is getting a lot better.

But, he's still sensitive to glutenous grains, dairy, sugar, and caffeine. The reactions he has aren't as extreme and dont' last as long as they did before -- which is a defnite improvement.

That being said, we do consume millet (seed, technically), quinoa (seed), rice (grain), corn (grain), and he eats lots of starch as well. He lifts weights and stuff, so he needs a lot of calories. He's definitely not "low carb" but his fat content of his diet is higher than his carb content -- if that's what's meant by low carb.

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Toooootally TMI, but this reminds me of the place I actually lost my v-card. lol. Not exactly, but it was still in a nice woodsy area, and the grass smelled like cucumber, and the sun was setting over the creek. I suppose that was interesting. I think being intimate out in nature is a very, ahh... spiritual experience? More of a connection with nature and everything, rather than being in a manmade bed, with artificial lighting and music and blah blah blah. However, having bugs biting your ass and pinecones pricking you can be just as unpleasant. :P

When my boyfriend and I were in France, we would joke about going to the very top of the Eiffel tower and doing it, or in one of the rooms in Versailles XD just being silly, though.
    I think it's just beautiful. You have a nice view, instead of looking at bedsheets, or a white ceiling, or someone's ugly mug... Kidding

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    DH is "dear husband" and it's a very old internet what-not. It's from back in the 90s!

Anyway, we went primal because of DH's stomach problems. When he started working with his naturopath, she took him off of all of the things listed (didn't I list them above? grains, dairy, sugar, caffeine) and then gave him a gut recolonization protocol as well (lots of herbal tinctures and teas what nots plus some biofilm break-down thingy, plus then fermented food regimen and bone broths, etc).
    Finally the "DH" mystery is cleared up! I wonder who started that one.

The gut recolonization sounds... complex. I guess if I wanted to go for that I'd probably need a naturpath. I went to one about my insomnia before and he just pushed supplements on me. Seemed like going to a doctor...

I can't digest quinoa. Weird, as it seems to be a food many people tolerate...
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-26-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    In a 'camp' - a basic wood cabin - next to a lake in a forest in Maine with two other people. I've had my share of the great outdoors, but I do prefer a degree of comfort and/or bedlinen.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Also: DD and DS (daughter and son respectively).
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

FTF
    Entry Three: Sunshine

Sleep:
    12am - 6.30am: 6.5 hours. Not as good last night: tossed and turned quite a lot, and woke up groggy (and stayed like that for a few hours). I'm grateful though: these days 6 hours sleep is "bad" for me! Apart from one bad week (last week: three nights only sleeping 2-3 hours), the last six weeks have been great for sleep.

So why don't I have more energy?

Temperature:
    Noticing that what makes a really big difference is keeping my lower back warm. All the heat in my body rises, but I usually wrap up around my neck. It makes much more sense to keep my bum (which is always cold) warm.

Energy and mood:
    Energy was fine today, not as good as yesterday. I feel completely wiped out now, even though it's 11.30 and I didn't do much today. Pretty much just talked to my mum and read GOT (which is great )

Good mood except that I started getting neurotic about my body / the skin under my eyes

Food / Hunger / Cravings:
    Consciously tried to eat less today. Didn't work!

8am - Breakfast: Banana
    12.30pm - Brunch: Leftover Goan fish curry, rice (moderate portion)
    3pm: OJ
    5.30pm - Dinner: Broth, Goan fish curry (without fish this time!), rice (moderate portion)
    7pm - Snack: banana.
    8pm - Snack 500gs blueberries, 200 gs raspberries.
    1 litre Coconut water, one raspberry tea, one cuppa with honey, two coffees.

Cravings: Salt - majorly during the day, evening: sugar. Ate fruit but was only satiated by a cup of tea and a few spoons of honey.

Going to bed now, and I feel a bit hungry.

Supps:
    Mg x 2
    Milk thistle 20 drps x1

Body:
    Still very bloated.
    Hair - Great again today
    Skin - Cyst on my forehead is impressive. I realised that it may have been caused by the veg oil the bacon was (very likely) cooked in.
    Also, Looking like new wrinkles are forming under my eyes... Seriously, this never ends. My hands feel like they're burning! It's so weird. Now my feet feel like that too. I think skin on hands is looking a bit better : I'm dousing them with moisturiser. Doing the same with my under-eye area.
    Lips - were chapped all day, then sorted out as soon as I ate broth!
    Keratosis pilaris: Smooth.
    Eyes were streaming today.
    Digestion - Very healthy (3!)

Fitness:
    Two twenty min walks with the dog: one with a few mins of jogging thrown in. Broke more of a sweat than I was expecting for not very much running.

I felt unusually great after the brief exercise though: often I come back from sprints or yoga feeling drained, but this combination and duration worked well for me today.

Stress:
    I do intend to start revisiting some of the studies I've done into metaphysics and subtle energy, because I do believe that all disease (dis- ease) starts in the mind and emotions... ie. STRESS. I've got so much disparate info about health that it would be cool to start drawing it all together: body: mind: energy.

Final thoughts:
    I tried to restrict calories today and man, I don't think I can do it! I'm hungry - I want to eat. How do some people have such small appetites? I have no idea how I'm going to lose weight. I don't have another long term diet in me - the thought of binging again terrifies me too much. I'm going to end up doing something extreme, like a one day potato diet or something. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad?!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    In a 'camp' - a basic wood cabin - next to a lake in a forest in Maine with two other people. I've had my share of the great outdoors, but I do prefer a degree of comfort and/or bedlinen.
    Conformist! Kidding

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Also: DD and DS (daughter and son respectively).
    Lol - I was wondering about those too! Now I'm finally in with the net crowd
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-26-2013 at 10:55 AM.

- Ray Peat

Well, there are naturopaths and there are naturopaths -- as in every field.

DH had to do a stool sample, so they knew exactly what was going on -- overgrowths, parasites, etc. He gets one each year to see how it's going.

It's not really that complex. The biofilm stuff is basically a pill that breaks down the biofilm that the bacteria create, and then the herbal stuff actually kills those bacteria. The die-off, though, is not fun. Basically, the symptoms get worse for a time, and then they get better once the gut recolonizes.

I don't think he's 100% yet -- obviously he's quite sensitive to the foods I listed above -- but I'm sure it's coming in due time.

He's really happy that the hair loss stopped and then reversed, and that he also doesn't have any grey (for 41, that's not bad. ).

I did that one the other day. It's decent.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Do you have trouble falling asleep?

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Well, there are naturopaths and there are naturopaths -- as in every field.

DH had to do a stool sample, so they knew exactly what was going on -- overgrowths, parasites, etc. He gets one each year to see how it's going.

It's not really that complex. The biofilm stuff is basically a pill that breaks down the biofilm that the bacteria create, and then the herbal stuff actually kills those bacteria. The die-off, though, is not fun. Basically, the symptoms get worse for a time, and then they get better once the gut recolonizes.

I don't think he's 100% yet -- obviously he's quite sensitive to the foods I listed above -- but I'm sure it's coming in due time.

He's really happy that the hair loss stopped and then reversed, and that he also doesn't have any grey (for 41, that's not bad. ).
    Wow, that's amazing. Maybe I should try and find a good naturopath, instead of trying to fix myself all the time (without really knowing what I'm doing). Any chance his wrinkles have reversed too?

Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Hey I was wondering what your opinion is of this video:

Power Yoga: Onese1f (75-minute) - YouTube

Since you're a yoga teacher and I value your insights, do you think this is a good session to practice at home? It's one of my favorite vids that I've found, even though the editing is kind of odd. I know it's kinda long, so I understand if you don't wanna try it/watch the whole thing. Thanks

Ohh, and here's the enzyme I use: Digest Spectrum

In case you were interested!
    I'll check that out and let you know Thanks for the link! x

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Do you have trouble falling asleep?
    That used to be my main bone of contention with sleeping - I would lie awake til the small hours. These days I don't have so much trouble falling asleep: at the worst it might take me two hours, but quite often now it takes half an hour... great result Why do you ask?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 09-26-2013 at 10:57 AM.

- Ray Peat