Page 43 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 43

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hey Vac, The reason I always turned it inwards was cos' I also grew up in a violent envionment where the slightest thing would incur my mum's verbal and physical wrath. I came to believe that anger was not an appropriate response because We all hated my mum, so anger = hatred in my little head.

I see some people who get angry all the time (my housemate) and they vent at everyone around them, and while they seem in a healthier position than me I don't know if they actually are...

Thanks for the encouragement. Right now I feel like I've been hit by a bus so I don't know where the recovery is...
    I don't mean that venting like your housemate is healthy at all, that's another horrible way to live. For me, dealing with my anger I had to swing from directing it all acutely onto myself to having a while erupting around the house and writing complaint letters to shop people. I smashed a fax machine and a TV ariel in the space of one week. Admittedly, this is not healthy, but I needed to move from inwards to outwards anger, then I learned to find a spot in the middle. I think women and girls are not that anger is inappropriate, so we people please and don't speak our truths, then get resentful and do things like develop eating disorders. Anger is only ever about us, and it helps for me to see that. The way you responded to your friend is the beginning of new boundaries, I think it's a great leap in the way you think about yourself and your place in the world. You are important, but her response is not actually your business. Yet your response to her lack of response and what you choose to do next is all your business. She didn't react the way you expected her to. So, what do you do with that?
    I read this the other day (don't be put off by the title):

Flowing with the Stresses of Kids (or anyone else) : zenhabits

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUGAR

Okay Derp and Zach, have a question for you.

In last last week I'e been writing that the skin on my hands and under my eyes is getting really fragile and looks like it's losing elasticity. Then I read this (it comes from ehow, but still...):
    How to Improve Skin Elasticity
    Control your carbohydrate metabolism. You may be surprised at this suggestion, but studies have shown that the long-term affects of excess carbohydrate metabolism are cross linking. This is a process where the excess glucose binds with proteins in tissue and causes hardening of the artery and capillary walls. This is first visible in areas of thinner skin, such as the eyelids and back of the hands. Keeping your blood sugar (glucose) stable requires the proper intake ratio of proteins, fats and carbohydrates as found in a low glycemic diet.
    I know this is everything you fight against, but what makes you so sure?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    I dunno, but wasn't it Knifegill who was complaining a few months back of looking prematurely aged on a ketogenic diet?
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    I dunno, but wasn't it Knifegill who was complaining a few months back of looking prematurely aged on a ketogenic diet?
    He was, and he tried to reintroduce fruit, looked like he was pregnant, and decided it was teh coffee (?). Apparently he looks young again now...

Mark is a terrible advocate for skin and low carbing though - I nearly fell off my chair when I read he's 58. Literally thought he was close to 70...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Raising Body Temp
    Entry Twelve: Tired

Writing late cos' I was in transit last night.

Sleep:
    Mammoth sleep: 10.30pm - 9.30am. Then took a nap at 3pm - 4pm.

Temperature:
    Woke up at 36.5C, sat around 36.6C all day.

Energy and mood:
    I woke up feeling depressed. I haven't felt that in quite a while. Like: "not-able-to-get-out-of-bed Depressed". And exhausted. I couldn't muster the energy to get up to pee / make coffee / eat.

At 2ish I eventually crawled out of bed and made food. Food usually makes me feel better (which is why I've been so addicted to it) but after eating (ground beef, potatoes) I felt even worse, and I went back to sleep. I had to catch a flight in the evening and it was a struggle to make it.

I crash frequently enough: sometimes worse than others. Every now and again I collapse and sleep for 36 hours. I think the longest I slept for was 48 hours...!

Writing this down, I can see how intimately linked mood and energy are. I feel depressed when I don't have energy. And usually a crash is preceded by a binge. But I didn't binge this time. I did eat a lot the night before.

And how much of it is stress? I was doing well until I got my results last Friday: I was tired, but I was pushing through it and doing stuff. Then I got caught up in the whirlwind of stress and have been on the edge of Oz ever since.

Final Thoughts:
    I'm changing the focus of the journal again. I keep applying protocols to improve my life without acknowledging my consistent lack of energy. Then I write that I'm exhausted, and I blame the protocol, but the reality is that the exhaustion was always there.

I'm going to observe the correlation between my energy, mood, diet/hunger, sleep, temperature and stress. I will continue to wear warm clothes, and chart my temperature, but will reduce the import of body temp. While I think Steve is great, he's a bit tunnel visioned. I want to take a holistic approach now. Supporting thyroid health through diet, meditating for stress, walking and yoga for gentle exercise... Suggestions welcome!

On another note, I'm back in Ireland again, but this time for a party to mark the anniversary of my friend who died of cancer last year. The party is tomorrow. I don't want to go.

In addition, I'm staying with my mum, who found out last week that she has a lump on her spine. It's so hard to see her suffering like this. And no one gives her any support: the rest of my family just take from her, which means she leans heavily on me. Which is fine, but it's frustrating that I can't do anything except try to force her to eat by cooking her favourite meals.

Well... at least I'm happy with my hair!

Last edited by YogaBare; 04-26-2013 at 02:42 AM.

- Ray Peat

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Priddy hair
    I might well be speaking out of turn, and possibly will get shot down (eek)... but perhaps this focus on food/temperature etc is a displacement activity? I find that food is something I can control and I get most rigid - in any direction - when I realise afterwards that at that point it was the only thing I could control. Could it be that your body is holding a lot of grief, for instance? I just wonder if there's something else that you're carrying or working through beneath the level/layers of what I put on/in my body. I think a few more doses of self kindness would not go amiss, whatever the truth of the matter is.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm!

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUGAR

Okay Derp and Zach, have a question for you.

In last last week I'e been writing that the skin on my hands and under my eyes is getting really fragile and looks like it's losing elasticity. Then I read this (it comes from ehow, but still...):

I know this is everything you fight against, but what makes you so sure?
    Efficient promotion of glucose metabolism through ATP production. Sugar helps stimulate the thyroid which gets everything moving in the right direction. All anti-aging mechanisms in your body are linked. Youth hormones through thyroid, efficient use of nutrients like vitamin a, e, copper, etc;
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Quote Originally Posted by badgergirl View Post
    Priddy hair
    I might well be speaking out of turn, and possibly will get shot down (eek)... but perhaps this focus on food/temperature etc is a displacement activity? I find that food is something I can control and I get most rigid - in any direction - when I realise afterwards that at that point it was the only thing I could control. Could it be that your body is holding a lot of grief, for instance? I just wonder if there's something else that you're carrying or working through beneath the level/layers of what I put on/in my body. I think a few more doses of self kindness would not go amiss, whatever the truth of the matter is.
    Why would you get shot down?! Please do contribute - I appreciate it All suggestions are welcome here (except for ones to eat more fat )

You're right about displacement activities... Tunnel vision is a pitfall with any N=1. The reason I've gotten so focused on healing the body is cos I've extensively explored the spiritual and psychological routes. I defintely do have a lot of grief but I've spent so many years processing it. How much grief can I have? I feel like I"m going in circles.

The ultimate approach is probably an integration of body-mind-spirit, but I'm not quite sure how to do that. Which is why it might be better to step back and observe for a while...

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Efficient promotion of glucose metabolism through ATP production. Sugar helps stimulate the thyroid which gets everything moving in the right direction. All anti-aging mechanisms in your body are linked. Youth hormones through thyroid, efficient use of nutrients like vitamin a, e, copper, etc;
    Encyclo-Derp-ia: I trust it more than ehow

- Ray Peat

GOT

On a completely unrelated note, I've started reading "Game of Thrones" I didn't think I would bother cos' the series is so good, but at the end of the second series I got disenchanted with some of the character development (eg. Theon Grayjoy) and wanted more depth.

And I've totally gotten into it! The characterisation is so much interesting. I LOVE Jon Snow in the book - he's bad ass. In the series he's an irritating, sniveling twerp. I don't know how fans of the book can tolerate him...

Also so nice getting more history about the Targaryens. I actually feel sorry for Viserys now...

- Ray Peat