Page 41 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 41

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Well, with your average body temperature being low and only elevated through the same way as emulating living in a warmer climate, does it seem like your adrenaline is stabilizing(raising) your body temperature and metabolism/intelligence or just the ambiance that you feel? Take off your warm clothes, and your body temperature would probably crash, same as if you turned on the AC on a hot day.

If he believes that temperature raises intelligence, as well as adrenaline raising temperature, it would imply that he believes ketosis is crucial to intelligence and metabolism. Not sure what his entire stance is about this, or if he implies that wearing excessive layers of clothing raises temperature and lowers adrenaline before and after? Honestly, it's kinda confusing.

It's more important to look at it through thyroid health, and lack of stress hormones. Stress hormones are a natural response to life, and probably can raise temperature when stressed/angry, but their effects are just temporary, or rather, should be.
    His theory is that people with low temp are in a chronically stressed state, and are releasing adrenaline to elevate their body temp to a survivable level. He doesn't recommend this. His protocol is "resetting" your body temp so that you don't need to ejaculate stress hormones willy-nilly (haha). Once you do this, he believes your intelligence rises. So stress hormones ≠ higher intelligence according to him.

Wearing warmer clothes (emulating a higher temp climate) takes the strain off the adrenals and reduces stress, according to him.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    That part is clear, but why would it matter if your temperature was already supposedly ok? There is nothing innately intelligence lowering about adrenaline, so I'm lost about that part. In fact, depression probably helps with cognition to an extent. Maybe not clarity(thoughts are often scattered), but yeah.

You've been practicing his methods for a bit, right? Have you noticed any temperature or clarity improvements? I just don't see where temperature would ever stabilize without fixing the underlining cause.

I can see where he's going with it, as people in warmer climates tend to be happier, but yeah, it's still full of many questions.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That part is clear, but why would it matter if your temperature was already supposedly ok? There is nothing innately intelligence lowering about adrenaline, so I'm lost about that part. In fact, depression probably helps with cognition to an extent. Maybe not clarity(thoughts are often scattered), but yeah.

You've been practicing his methods for a bit, right? Have you noticed any temperature or clarity improvements? I just don't see where temperature would ever stabilize without fixing the underlining cause.

I can see where he's going with it, as people in warmer climates tend to be happier, but yeah, it's still full of many questions.
    He doesn't say that adrenaline lowers intelligence. That comment was in response to your metnion of ketosis / stress / intelligence. Actually he doesn't talk about stress and intelligence as far as I remember: just intelligence and temperature.

I'm definitely happier now that I'm warmer! That was quite a marked difference. And I'm sleeping more deeply. But I'm more tired, for sure. Initially I felt a distinct reduction in stress, and an increase in clarity, but I've been feeling more stressed since Friday and definitely noticed a reduction in cognitive function.

His idea is that the underlying cause of low temp is superstitious learning on behalf of the hypothalamus, and the only recourse is to "reset" the hypothalamus (which basically sounds like beating it into submission).
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-24-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    You probably need t3 to do this effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You probably need t3 to do this effectively.
    Which part - the resetting? Steve said it's possible without t3 for some people. In my case he said to wait til the thyroid results are in before trying to reset.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    To do any of it. Most likely that is your biggest hurdle and a lot of times you cant do it with food/stress alone.

<sigh>.

In the interim, here's some funny shit: 25 Photos You Need To Really Look At To Understand (I like number 4 )

These are even better: 11 Engagement Photos That Will Make You Happy Youre Single

Last edited by YogaBare; 09-26-2013 at 12:09 PM.

- Ray Peat

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Those photos concern me. The first one reminds me of this:

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Those photos concern me. The first one reminds me of this:

HA! Nice.

I really liked the midget bridesmaids, the girl with the crazy-hairy arms, and the little man on the chick's back. And number four, but I would probably be banned for posting it

- Ray Peat

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Raising Body Temp
    Entry Eleven

Writing early today cos' I'm so exhausted I want to go to bed... (it's 8pm).

Sleep:
    I actually can't remember... 12.30am - 7.15am maybe?

Temperature:
    Woke up at 36.5C, have been around that all day.

Body:
    - Skin is still really dry
    - Getting another cyst on my eyebrow!
    - A lot of sugar cravings again today. I ate five bananas! The last one was in coconut milk with added sugar... Mmmm

Energy and mood:
    Honestly, I'm exhausted again. I can't blame this experiment though... chronic fatigue is a staple of my life. Some days I feel good, but most of the time I'm operating below par.

Mood-wise... I've been aware for the last month that something is changing. I'm feeling more accepting and happier, but last night something new crystallized.

I'm getting angry.

Anger is an unusual emotion for me. I tend to avoid conflict / repress my feelings until they become depression / blame myself for everything and feel I don't deserve good things / turn anger into self hatred.

But (and please don't judge me for this) lately, I have lashed out at several of my friends. Well, not lashed out exactly, but "sent a message". Most recently last night. I was having a drink with my one of my best mates, and I ended up telling her about the "Eating a Ton" experiment. She is one of the few people who knows about my ED, but I never told her the extent of it. I told her everything - even mentioned all my peeps on MDA who have helped me so much! - but she didn't say a word, then she suddenly went to the loo, and when she came back, she suggested we leave.

I couldn't believe it. I saw red. I was blind with fury. I said good bye and stormed off. She texted me after about 10 mins asking me if I was mad, but I didn't reply.

Two thoughts were going through my head: 1) "I'm so heavy, it's not fair to tell other people about my issues, I'm burdening them, I should keep it all to myself, I should just be fun all the time, no one will love me if I keep sharing this stuff, they don't get me", and 2) "FUCK her. Fuck THAT. I don't NEED this shit. I'm fine ALONE".

Two perfectly rational streams of consciousness, ha

But the reality was that I felt rejected. I had just poured my heart out to someone, and it had barely registered. It hurt.

People can be careless with each other. In the past I would take it, even if it hurt. I believed I was "too sensitive" and that my emotions weren't valid. But over the last six weeks a part of me has emerged that says that I am perfect just the way I am. My sensitivity is me, for better and worse, and I deserve to be loved and respected for it.

Part of this means that I don't need to "explain" myself to people anymore. If someone fucks me off, I don't need to clarify the intricacies of my inner world or "talk things through". I don't need to make myself vulnerable to people just so we can have a friendship. I'm prepared to let these friendships go.

My friend last night was direct with me, so I replied to her this morning and explained why she pissed me off and that I'm not sure who I'm supposed to talk to about these things if I can't talk to her. I'm not used to being direct with people, so I wasn't sure how she was going to take it, but she was really sorry and I appreciated that. We're cool.

If I care about someone, I love them and will do anything for them. But I realise now I'm not just existing for other people. I'm not saying that I want to dump my shit on people all the time - that's not fair, but I'm not floating in superficial relationships anymore; just being who the person wants me to be. They have to take all of me.

This entry has become a manifesto..!

- Ray Peat