Page 40 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 40

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you want to raise body temperature just come live here, it's 98 degrees already.

I think Stephen is looking at it through a pin hole and misses the big picture. There are plenty of really stupid people in California whom all would be actively operating at high temperature most of the time. They're also quite fat, which means their metabolism obviously isn't up to par. Ergo, more support for Ray Peat's theory of metabolism = energy surplus = efficient co2 = healthy thyroid = intelligence.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    If you want to raise body temperature just come live here, it's 98 degrees already.

I think Stephen is looking at it through a pin hole and misses the big picture. There are plenty of really stupid people in California whom all would be actively operating at high temperature most of the time. They're also quite fat, which means their metabolism obviously isn't up to par. Ergo, more support for Ray Peat's theory of metabolism = energy surplus = efficient co2 = healthy thyroid = intelligence.
    Well, the thing is - being in a hot place doesn't necessarily raise your core body temp. Back to back I lived in India, then Dubai, then South Africa which was a total of six months in the tropics, but I just sweated all the time which kept my core cool but the rest of me gross. Steve's idea is that you need to reset your temp to function at a higher temp.

But I agree: I think he's missing the big picture.

Derp, how did you go about raising your metabolism? Did you just follow the Peat diet and supplment with t3 or was there something else?

Edit: oh, and FYI - I'm already looking into living in Cali
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-24-2013 at 01:21 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Well, the thing is - being in a hot place doesn't necessarily raise your core body temp. Back to back I lived in India, then Dubai, then South Africa which was a total of six months in the tropics, but I just sweated all the time which kept my core cool but the rest of me gross. Steve's idea is that you need to reset your temp to function at a higher temp.

But I agree: I think he's missing the big picture.

Derp, how did you go about raising your metabolism? Did you just follow the Peat diet and supplment with t3 or was there something else?
    Well, it takes very little metabolic energy to keep the body at 98 degrees when the air temperature is high. This is why Broda Barnes hypothesizes to tests both pulse and temperature. If adrenaline is high, your pulse will be high, but odds are your temperature will drop because of it. Which means low core temp, but lots of sweating anyway.

I loosely follow his diet, and took t3. On t3 my pulse dropped from 135(!!!) resting, to about 90. I'd like to get it down to 85, but I think caffeine will always keep me in the 90s. t3 and more calcium has also dropped my blood pressure from 169/90 to 135/80, which is cool, though I think low bp is worse than high. But I had horrible chest constrictions at 169, so I don't miss those at all.

Well, it takes very little metabolic energy to keep the body at 98 degrees when the air temperature is high. This is why Broda Barnes hypothesizes to tests both pulse and temperature. If adrenaline is high, your pulse will be high, but odds are your temperature will drop because of it. Which means low core temp, but lots of sweating anyway.

I loosely follow his diet, and took t3. On t3 my pulse dropped from 135(!!!) resting, to about 90. I'd like to get it down to 85, but I think caffeine will always keep me in the 90s. t3 and more calcium has also dropped my blood pressure from 169/90 to 135/80, which is cool, though I think low bp is worse than high. But I had horrible chest constrictions at 169, so I don't miss those at all.
    Jesus!!! Okay, well you obviously had a fast metabolism anyway. My BP has always been low, but my pulse gets high really easily.

I thought stress hormones raise body temp?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

I don't think so, stress hormones are at their highest at night corresponding to your temperature being at its lowest. Night sweats are also a common symptom of high stress hormones despite body temperature being low.

Another way to boost metabolism through increased co2 to the brain is nicotine, but I'm not sure you're ready for that next level shit yet

I don't think so, stress hormones are at their highest at night corresponding to your temperature being at its lowest. Night sweats are also a common symptom of high stress hormones despite body temperature being low.

Another way to boost metabolism through increased co2 to the brain is nicotine, but I'm not sure you're ready for that next level shit yet
    Steve's theory is that people with low temp are running off adrenaline cos' it pumps their body temp up to a survivable level... I also notice that when I get stressed / embarrassed I get really, really hot.

Ha, I was a smoker for years... I actually wanted to take it back up around Christmas time (don't ask) but I hated the taste! Maybe I can just chew the gum...

- Ray Peat

Steve's theory is that people with low temp are running off adrenaline cos' it pumps their body temp up to a survivable level... I also notice that when I get stressed / embarrassed I get really, really hot.

Ha, I was a smoker for years... I actually wanted to take it back up around Christmas time (don't ask) but I hated the taste! Maybe I can just chew the gum...
    Flushing can be caused by your fight or flight hormones being elevated to compensate for hypothyroidism. Or, FFAs being flushed out, or various other things. When I feel hot and flushed my body temperature is rarely higher as a result. Maybe though, it'd probably be fleeting in response to something else and isn't an indication of prolonged higher temperature.

Smoke better stuff. American Spirits black pack tastes like roasted peanuts for some reason, which is a pleasant taste to me...

Btw, your PM inbox is full!

Flushing can be caused by your fight or flight hormones being elevated to compensate for hypothyroidism. Or, FFAs being flushed out, or various other things. When I feel hot and flushed my body temperature is rarely higher as a result. Maybe though, it'd probably be fleeting in response to something else and isn't an indication of prolonged higher temperature.

Smoke better stuff. American Spirits black pack tastes like roasted peanuts for some reason, which is a pleasant taste to me...
    I think you're right about the fight or flight and thyroid. I actually think the flushing in stress is partly due to a lack of communication which impacts thyroid (I'm talking metaphysics).

But if adrenaline doesn't raise body temp then Steve's whole protocol is based on fallacy... or else I've just not understood it.

Btw, your PM inbox is full!
    Oops, okay try again!

- Ray Peat

I think you're right about the fight or flight and thyroid. I actually think the flushing in stress is partly due to a lack of communication which impacts thyroid (I'm talking metaphysics).

But if adrenaline doesn't raise body temp then Steve's whole protocol is based on fallacy... or else I've just not understood it.
    Well, with your average body temperature being low and only elevated through the same way as emulating living in a warmer climate, does it seem like your adrenaline is stabilizing(raising) your body temperature and metabolism/intelligence or just the ambiance that you feel? Take off your warm clothes, and your body temperature would probably crash, same as if you turned on the AC on a hot day.

If he believes that temperature raises intelligence, as well as adrenaline raising temperature, it would imply that he believes ketosis is crucial to intelligence and metabolism. Not sure what his entire stance is about this, or if he implies that wearing excessive layers of clothing raises temperature and lowers adrenaline before and after? Honestly, it's kinda confusing.

It's more important to look at it through thyroid health, and lack of stress hormones. Stress hormones are a natural response to life, and probably can raise temperature when stressed/angry, but their effects are just temporary, or rather, should be.