Page 39 of 244 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: This is not a lobe song page 39

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes hes using metabolism in the old school way where burning calories raises metabolism. So things like eating tons of protein, cold water theropy, hiit, etc are all metabolism boosters. But someone like Matt Stone would say that these are all stressors that while they do burn more calories, they actually harm the body long term and lower metabolism. So while they are both using the term differently, they actually agree that less stress is better.

I think he seems like a pretty brilliant guy who has done a ton of experimenting and research. Hes probably pretty stufk in his paradigm and not well versed in diet so you have to take anything not related to temp with a grain of salt.
    When you say "old way" - what's the "new way" of regarding metabolism?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    What i think of as the new way of thinking is just what Matt Stone and others are talking about. Naturally raising metabolism through thyroid health. I think they use metabolism for lack of a better word. The oldschool way of thinking was metabolism = how many calories you are burning.

What i think of as the new way of thinking is just what Matt Stone and others are talking about. Naturally raising metabolism through thyroid health. I think they use metabolism for lack of a better word. The oldschool way of thinking was metabolism = how many calories you are burning.
    Okay, so you mean metabolism as in how well the body is functioning? Yeah, that makes sense.

There's so much cross-over and contradictions with the theories: it's a bit confusing sometimes. Peat belives metabolism and intelligence are linked, Richfield says it's temperature and intelligence. I"m going to go with Peat... If the organism was functioning at an optimal level (metabolism?) it would experience a the full expression of its intelligence, and would automatically be at its ideal temp. As opposed to Richfield's theory, which seems to be higher temp = lower metabolism = higher intelligence.

With a higher temp you wouldn't lose as much heat energy, but the metabolism might rev up in other ways (healing etc)...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Raising Body Temp
    Entry Ten

Sleeeeeeep:
    12.30am - 06.00am. Drifted in and out of sleep til 7.30am.

Temperature:
    Woke up at 36.5C, which is pretty good! Don't think I got to 37C today though.

Body:
    - Skin on hands is still like tissue paper
    - Outbreak of cystic acne is very improved, surprisingly.
    - Lost some water weight, I think.
    - Hair = <3

Food:
    In one way it was good to have the food tracker and know what I was eating... but it's so nice not to give a fuck anymore! I had a hungry day today (I think cos' I didn't eat a huge amount for the last three days) but I actually feel I'm in a place of trust with my body so I don't need to look for the patterns anymore.

Energy and mood:
    I'm still feeling a bit stressed. And... tiiiired! I was teaching yoga at 1pm, and I had to take a nap before hand... but I couldn't sleep. Don't know if I"m so tired cos' I'm not sleeping enough, or if it's what Steve says:

"People with low body temperatures often avoid dressing warmly, because they both keep themselves going and keep themselves warm with adrenaline. If they warm themselves up by other means such as warm clothing, then they shut down their adrenaline supply and crash into chronic fatigue. However, once their body temperature has been reset back up to 98.6oF, they have no problem dressing warmly, because they can keep going just fine at 98.6oF without adrenaline."
    Final thoughts:
    Temperature and metabolism or whatever, I'm actually feeling distinctly dumber right now :P
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-23-2013 at 04:04 PM.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Okay, so you mean metabolism as in how well the body is functioning? Yeah, that makes sense.

There's so much cross-over and contradictions with the theories: it's a bit confusing sometimes. Peat belives metabolism and intelligence are linked, Richfield says it's temperature and intelligence. I"m going to go with Peat... If the organism was functioning at an optimal level (metabolism?) it would experience a the full expression of its intelligence, and would automatically be at its ideal temp. As opposed to Richfield's theory, which seems to be higher temp = lower metabolism = higher intelligence.

With a higher temp you wouldn't lose as much heat energy, but the metabolism might rev up in other ways (healing etc)...
    Peat and Stephan believe the same thing. Just the wording is different.

Peat and Stephan believe the same thing. Just the wording is different.
    On first reading I thought they meant the same thing, now I'm not so sure... But I'm reeeeally slow mentally today, so that might not be surprising.!

Asked Steve about it:

YB: A researcher I really like (Ray Peat) links intelligence and metabolism, beliving that a higher metabolism leas to higher intelligence.... What do you think?

Steve: No, it is temperature rather than metabolism. Of course if your temperature is stuck low and you are trying to increase it by increasing metabolism - a common error - it can sure look like it is metabolism-related.

- Ray Peat

Zach is offline Banned
    I still think they are trying to get to the same place, Stephan just believes metabolism = calories burnt. Peat believes that a naturally hih metabolism will have a high temp so they agree, just different definitions of metabolism.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I've tried a plethora of herbal remedies for sleep - not much helps. St John'w wort was like caffeine pills! Catnip could be entertaining..

On a slightly related topic, a few years ago I did hear that the new generation of recreational drug users were getting high off plant food!
    It doesn't have quite the effect on us humans as it does on the felines. Sorry to spoil your fun. Well, edible marijuana puts me dead to sleep. As in, knocks me out cold wherever I am (only after enjoying a nice, closed eyed light show) so maybe I just have herbal narcolepsy.

Plant food? I don't even want to know.

P.S. Regarding the cystic acne, you could not have only had a reaction to the gluten, but the yeast in the beer as well. Just a thought.
    Last edited by ombat; 04-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cierra View Post
    Well, depending on what kind of honey it is, you can use it on burns, cuts or rashes. You can make a face mask for help with acne, you can stabilize your blood pressure and your blood sugar, and it's even been known to help with anxiety, so that you feel calm or even a bit sleepy. Then, there's the comb and wax, which you can chew on like Paleo bubble gum lol. And ya know, all sorts of things come from other bee products: bee sting therapy for arthritis, bee pollen for energy, beeswax for candles/soap/etc.

I totally feel like Forest Gump right now.... "There's all kinds of stuff you can do with shrimp....popcorn shrimps, butterfly shrimp, coconut shrimp..." LOL.

When I was recovering and gaining weight, my grandparents gave me two pints of their honey, and I went through both of them (well, my boyfriend and I) in about two months! It's delicious, but hard to ship across states, since I moved. Maybe I'll get back into the honey thing soon, now that I feel a little "safer" around foods I once felt I had little to no control around.
    I can attest to raw honey working great on skin - it's antibacterial and reduces a lot of inflammation.

Thanks for all this info!

PrimalCon New York
    I still think they are trying to get to the same place, Stephan just believes metabolism = calories burnt. Peat believes that a naturally hih metabolism will have a high temp so they agree, just different definitions of metabolism.
    Yeah, I think you're right.

I'm not really sure about this raising body temp thing anymore. I don't know how practical it is to spend the rest of my life wearing layers of wool.! It seems like it's a life-long effort for these people...

- Ray Peat